Installation instructions are lacking - Page 2

Installation instructions are lacking

Old Evo threads before move to own site

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Installation instructions are lacking

Post by Forboding Angel »

I find your apparent paranoia rather frustrating, phillips, but I will try to hep you as best as I can.

For some reason, none of the people here have given you the information you actually need.

Spring is an engine with multiple games and multiple lobbies.

Evolution RTS usually uses weblobby. When you download it, you are accessing the lobby, not the game itself. Once you log into the lobby, the moment you join a multiplayer game, the lobby will download all needed game versions, maps, and engine versions. This make the updating process very fluid and more of a user hands off approach.

Evolution RTS (And practically every other game) uses an update system called "rapid". Rapid takes your latest downloaded game version, and compares it to what has changed in the latest version, and only downloads the parts that have changed. So instead of a 6gb patch blizzard style, you end up with updates that are little more than a few mb.

That said, if you didn't get past the TOS, then that would be the largest issue. I understand the concern about it, and yes it's helpful to notify us of it, but if we really wanted to do something nefarious to you, do you really think all of our sources would be on github and do you really think that we would try to use a TOS to screw you over?

That's what I mean wrt paranoia. A healthy dose of paranoia isn't a bad thing, but it helps to direct it to the areas that make the most sense (like is this game downloading a script that will take nudes of my dog and send them to my cat???), and in a project such as this where the source is very visible and very public, it doesn't really make sense to hone in on a TOS (but thanks for the heads up that it's 15 different types of screwed up in that dialog!).

I don't usually check this forum. I have a google alert set up for "Evolution RTS", which is why I saw this one (I never bothered subbing to the forum). If you need me directly, the steam forums are your best bet, either those or the lobby, but I have been out of town for almost a month so my presence has been pretty sparse.

Usually everyone gets together to play a bunch of games sometime around 5pmGMT on saturdays. Usually people jump on mumble as well. You're welcome to join! :-)
knorke

Post by knorke »

Repeated TOS was bug in server software. The fix will not take effect until server is restarted. (Not sure if restart is planned just for this rather minor problem: usually server runs for weeks/months without restart.)
In meantime maybe looking at the fix gives you the peace of mind to accept TOS now. :)
I don't usually check this forum.
http://www.evolutionrts.info/download/ reads "Need help installing? Post on the forums! http://www.forums.evolutionrts.info" and http://www.forums.evolutionrts.info then redirects to this springrts.com forum.
phillipsjk

Post by phillipsjk »

OK, I checked that the duplicate terms were in fact duplicates:

Code: Select all

james@torchlight:~$ sha256sum ToU1.txt ToU2.txt ToU3.txt ToU4.txt ToU5.txt ToU6.txt ToU7.txt ToU8.txt ToU9.txt 
63666f5fcd63b618ba8cd55604630be958f98f3aa517afe456dd95d794ad0011  ToU1.txt
63666f5fcd63b618ba8cd55604630be958f98f3aa517afe456dd95d794ad0011  ToU2.txt
63666f5fcd63b618ba8cd55604630be958f98f3aa517afe456dd95d794ad0011  ToU3.txt
63666f5fcd63b618ba8cd55604630be958f98f3aa517afe456dd95d794ad0011  ToU4.txt
63666f5fcd63b618ba8cd55604630be958f98f3aa517afe456dd95d794ad0011  ToU5.txt
63666f5fcd63b618ba8cd55604630be958f98f3aa517afe456dd95d794ad0011  ToU6.txt
63666f5fcd63b618ba8cd55604630be958f98f3aa517afe456dd95d794ad0011  ToU7.txt
63666f5fcd63b618ba8cd55604630be958f98f3aa517afe456dd95d794ad0011  ToU8.txt
63666f5fcd63b618ba8cd55604630be958f98f3aa517afe456dd95d794ad0011  ToU9.txt

Downloading the game now...

Thanks for all the help people (Including/especially abma).

Edit:
Game failed to load, again with the "Illegal instruction" error.

Edit2: MD5 is no longer considered crypotgraphically secure.
Attachments
infolog.txt
Failed single-player run with:
3D clouds
High resolution clouds
Dynamic clouds
Relefective units
Lua shader support
Pixelbuffer objects
Compress textures
all disabled
"Never use shaders when rendering SM3 maps"
enabled
Shadows: off
Water Qality: Basic
(20.65 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Last edited by phillipsjk on 18 Jul 2014, 17:09, edited 2 times in total.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I agree with the OP about the TOS. Why not remove some crap from it, make it fit on one screen? I'm notr sure I've read it either, they all contain the same crap and knowing basic netiquette is usually enough.

If nobody reads it, why bother having it there? Those kind of disclaimer are still not legally valid, for many reasons. One is that the person installing the program is not always the person that has the authority for making those kind of agreements in the name of the corporation that installs it. Ok, maybe more valid for corporate environments. But you know what I mean.
phillipsjk

Post by phillipsjk »

If you follow the link in knorke's last post, you will see that it was fixed in the last two hours. It will fit on one screen now.

The Terms are helpful in telling the user what to expect from the mods. They caution that everything is logged (to enable stuff like replays). While not necessarily legally binding, it is still information I would like to know.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Yeah, of course the useful part is good to have. Just the crap could be removed. And it apparently is now.
phillipsjk

Post by phillipsjk »

I updated this post with the infolog after a failed launch.

I am not sure if I should find a better forum section like Help & Bugs, or Linux.

I am using the Debian build, which is not exactly the same as the static build on the download page.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Look around in weblobby settings, somewhere is a "use safemode" option, check that.
Should that work then uncheck it again and go to http://springrts.com/wiki/Springsettings.cfg to maybe re-enable some things.

This does not look so promising though:
infolog wrote:[f=0000000] Video RAM: unknown
Looks bit like problem with graphic card/gfx drivers, try different ones.
Yes, Linux subforum looks ok at this point..
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Very many errors in that infolog, most of which are likely not your fault.

The graphics cards errors alone look like game over unless you can discover some combination of disabling gfx settings that allows your gfx card/drivers to handle spring. Run spring with --safemode and see if you can load successfully then.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Silentwings wrote:Very many errors in that infolog, most of which are likely not your fault.
I just want to point out that those errors aren't actually errors either. It's just warning stuff that is baked into post to warn when values differ (but default values are set in their place).

It's actually extremely useful and can help solve a lot of irritations and problems. You guys should do this in BAR (Smoth is the architect behind most of it, so you could probably get him to help you with it).

The radar yardmap is an exception, but mainly just me being lazy/forgetful but doesn't actually effect anything. And the shield weapondef stuff is kept for backwards compatibility,although I doubt the rest of the game is that far backwards compatible at this point so I probably should remove them, just because.

I tend to prefer infologs that spit out every bit of data I could possibly ever want over a tidy infolog that might not display some crucial info, although the data that is output could probably be structured a bit more nicely (laziness on my part I guess). Different strokes. *shrug*
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I just want to point out that those errors aren't actually errors either.
I don't want to rub your nose in it, but they are errors (at least to my eyes) and probably also to someone who knows nothing about what the messages mean. It's true that there are some bits which look like debug print, but there are also (engine generated) warnings/errors about missing/conflicting movedef tags, missing weapondef tags, missing featuredefs & an incorrectly sized yardmap - of course you might have reasons for wanting all these kept.

Probably none of this is related to his crash - which is obvious to you and me - and likely the relevent part is

Code: Select all

[f=0000000] SDL version:  1.2.15
[f=0000000] GL version:   2.1 Mesa 10.1.4
[f=0000000] GL vendor:    nouveau
[f=0000000] GL renderer:  Gallium 0.4 on NV4A
[f=0000000] GLSL version: 1.20
[f=0000000] GLEW version: 1.10.0
[f=0000000] Video RAM:    unknown
[f=0000000] FBO::maxSamples: 4
[f=0000000] GL info:
	haveARB: 0, haveGLSL: 0, ATI hacks: 0
	FBO support: 1, NPOT-texture support: 1, 24bit Z-buffer support: 1
	maximum texture size: 4096, compress MIP-map textures: 0
	maximum SmoothPointSize: 64, maximum vec4 varying/attributes: 8/16
	maximum drawbuffers: 4, maximum recommended indices/vertices: 3000/3000
	number of UniformBufferBindings: 0 (0kB)
You guys should do this in BAR (Smoth is the architect behind most of it, so you could probably get him to help you with it).
Somehwat offtopic, but BAR is not currently available any any purposes other than testing and, if you'd looked, we have for years included a small amount of debug printing for some gfx related questions.
Last edited by Silentwings on 19 Jul 2014, 10:10, edited 2 times in total.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Silentwings wrote: ... but there are also (engine generated) warnings/errors about missing/conflicting movedef tags ...

These aren't engine generated. That's what I was trying to explain to you. Moreover, the movedef tags aren't intended to be set because they have defaults. Not setting them ensures that those particular tags stay at their defaults throughout engine versions. For example: https://github.com/EvolutionRTS/Evoluti ... s_post.lua

Next time you "don't want to rub my nose in it", don't. I'm pretty well aware of what is going on and if they were consequential, I would do something about them.

Moreover, the missing ceg stuff is caused apparently because the engine gets confused about weapons folder vs weapondefs in unitdefs. There are some warnings about wrong tags used in some old cegs. They don't cause issues and are therefore inconsequential (if not slightly annoying).

But thanks for not "rubbing my nose in it".
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Next time you "don't want to rub my nose in it", don't. I'm pretty well aware of what is going on and if they were consequential, I would do something about them.
My concern is to help this guy isolate which parts of the infolog errors/warnings are actually related to his issue. If you want to keep your errors/warnings/debug stuff, it's no concern of mine!
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Lemon curry?
phillipsjk

Post by phillipsjk »

I managed to get the spring developers's static binary to run a slide-show. Because the process used around 600MB, I recommend bumping the minimum system requirements to 1GB of RAM. If the binaries supplied with EvoRTS do indeed require a specific version of SSE, that should be noted as well (was it assumed that no PIII equivalent runs at or over 1.6Ghz?)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

There are no binary dependencies supplied with EvoRTS. Are you talking about weblobby or spring?

WRT to minimums:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291150
knorke

Post by knorke »

http://www.evolutionrts.info/download/ wrote: Recommended Computer Specifications
2 Ghz Processor, 4 gb system ram, Nvidia 9 series (or better) Graphics card (or ATI Equivalent)

Minimum System Requirements
CPU: 1.6 GHz with SSE
RAM: 512 MB
GPU: 64 MB Nvidia Geforce 6 graphics card
smoth

Post by smoth »

did those get pulled from the wiki? because those are pretty incorrect.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

smoth wrote:did those get pulled from the wiki? because those are pretty incorrect.
Of course. A direct copy pasta.

The engine presents a constantly moving spec target, and those were copy and pasted probably years ago.
smoth

Post by smoth »

The engine probably could run a game on that but your project has significantly higher requirements.

the engine minimum could be that reasonably but your project is not doing the engine minimum.

Return to “Evolution RTS”