Please no silly game changes on rapid

Old Evo threads before move to own site

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

knorke

Post by knorke »

There is enought problems already, it does not need experimental changes like accidently activating chicken in multiplayer games.
And that has nothing to do with "<[Evo]Forboding_Angel> TFC writes bade spawner code", it is just what happens if you make too hastly changes and release them without test.
Every svn-commit creates playable game with which can be tested, it is not nessecary to do {VERSION} and put them live.
It is not like a week ago when nobody was affected, now you are working on "running" system so careful please.
If you really want to fix game problems, then see https://code.google.com/p/evolutionrts/issues/list
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Please no silly game changes on rapid

Post by Forboding Angel »

It was obviously a mistake, and I did test, but I don't have a testing group, so occasionally stuff will happen. I fixed it within minutes anyway. What are you griping about?

Moreover all those people knew what was going on too, because I was in the game telling them. There is a reason I was doing all that at 2am.

Also, since evo is using svn, we don't have proper branching. So if smoth is working on something and commits it, then it's in the latest, and I can only create new versions from that.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Your test was on stable release, that is the problem.
Every commit to SVN creates playable mod version.
For testing there is no need to make a new stable.
If the test-host was for some reason not working, there is always the option to test via relay-hosting sdz files etc.
Even if at that time fewer players were on, it is just unnessecary if better ways exist.
Also this is the first weekend, so maybe playercount might pick up a bit again. Probally not as not nearly as much as at start, but still to BA level or so. So I would advice against releasing anymore experimental things. Everything that has not been throughly tested for several days must be treated as if it does not work.
smoth

Post by smoth »

The chicken code is my fault, so wanna get mad get mad at me. I suspect there is some Bitrott as the code worked fin in grts. So something changed somewhere along the way.

So get mad at me, get mad at me all day.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

could rage, but have some glowing embers instead:
[20:14:18] <YcleptCrazy> Hello?
[20:14:26] <[2up]knorke> Hello!
[20:14:37] <YcleptCrazy> So, I just got this on steam.
[20:14:51] <[2up]knorke> ok
[20:15:14] <YcleptCrazy> So, is this game fun?
[20:15:32] <[2up]knorke> yes, but first wait for everything to download
[20:15:59] <YcleptCrazy> What do you mean, everything?
[20:16:34] <[2up]knorke> the game files
[20:16:43] <YcleptCrazy> How do I know when it is done.
[20:16:58] <[2up]knorke> go to Battles and join a room
[20:17:03] <[2up]knorke> then play :)
and so on and so forth.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Dunno, was up until 2am last night, worked until I was falling asleep at the keyboard. The situation is stressful enough, the extra hostility between the parties involved doesn't help anything at all! I don't care if knorke permahates me, bans me on site or whatever.

I worked on chickens last night.
I moved the latest version of LUPS, fairly UNTESTED INTO EVO
I assured forb it was OK

It is my fucking fault. I failed forb, I failed you all. PLEASE STOP STACKING HATE ON THE GUY

So if he needs to spread some of he hate on me he can. I am working to try and make things better the same as everyone else.
knorke

Post by knorke »

i was not "mad at you" for the bug in chicken code.
i just said there there are ways to test things without making releases that affects all players.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

fyi:

every commit to svn should be downloadable by the tag evo:test:<revisionnumber>

or evo:test to get the newest revision. no need to make a release every commit to test stuff.

THIS should be used for testing. (thats basicly what knorke wrote, just in other words)

i guess every one should take a sleep :)

Return to “Evolution RTS”