Rate Evo!

Rate Evo!

Old Evo threads before move to own site

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Rate Evo!

Post by Forboding Angel »

Hey guys, if you don't mind too much, do me a solid and rate evo on the desura site (it's the same login as moddb and indiedb). Unfortunately the amount of ratings are so low that one asshole kid rating it at a 1 drags the entire thing down. Help plox?

http://www.desura.com/games/evolution-rts
oksnoop2

Re: Rate Evo!

Post by oksnoop2 »

Done and Done.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Thanks guys :-)

I was really upset earlier when I saw a rating of 1. Seriously, anything below 5 is reserved for games that simply do not run at all. Especially because these are the kinds of guys that never bother to try to comment, or report or even bitch about stuff. They just troll and run off. The worst part is I can't do a damn thing about it.
smoth

Post by smoth »

People rating before they really try it is no good.
Regret

Post by Regret »

knorke

Post by knorke »

I like how the only person who dared to only give an 8 instead of a perfect 10 got downvoted.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Regret wrote:I like the unbiased reviews. :regret:

http://www.desura.com/games/evolution-rts/reviews
Didn't you also edit CA ad lines to be less biased way back when?

Sorry bro, advertising isn't about being honest. 8)
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

If I rate a game I care more about giving honest info to a potential user than supplying the producer with best possible advertisement.

Giving a 10 just to inflate the score is just as bad as giving a 1 to shit on the score. It's not good advertisement either if USER reviews are too obviously spammed as pure uncritical advertisement, it makes the score mean nothing.

If the reviews look like they were made by a spambot, it doesn't really matter if that's actually not the case.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

If your product cannot be advertised favorably in an honest manner, than doing so is unethical.

I haven't rated the game, as I haven't played the current release nor does Desura support my operating system.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Pretty much a bunch of guys voted 10

Evo is at best a 7 IMO. Hell I put an 8 for gundam which was +2 because I like-a-the gundam :)
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Johannes has a good point, some of you guys set avatars at least, it's too obvious you logged in just to give it a 10. :D

If we can get people to give it a decent try, I think the game will stand on its own merit. It's going to be hard to get a playerbase decent enough to be self-sustaining though. I really don't have much time myself to help seed games atm.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

smoth wrote:Evo is at best a 7 IMO.
Compared to what? Compared to anything else on moddb, gundam is a 10, evo is a 10, zk is a 10...

Notice, I asked people to rate it. I did not ask people to rate it a 10 (course I appreciate it guys :-). The point being that the more ratings there are, the less effective a single asshole rating at 1 will be.

Make sense now?
Neddie wrote:I haven't rated the game, as I haven't played the current release nor does Desura support my operating system.
Evolution RTS Download Page wrote: To get the latest stable version of Evolution RTS for Ubuntu Maverick
(10.10) and later (Including Natty Narwhal 11.04+), open up a terminal and do

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:spring/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:evorts/stable
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install evolutionrts

afterwards you can run ÔÇ£Evolution RTSÔÇØ from your Applications/Games
menu or launch ÔÇ£evolobbyÔÇØ via terminal.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

luckywaldo7 wrote:Johannes has a good point, some of you guys set avatars at least, it's too obvious you logged in just to give it a 10. :D

If we can get people to give it a decent try, I think the game will stand on its own merit. It's going to be hard to get a playerbase decent enough to be self-sustaining though. I really don't have much time myself to help seed games atm.
It will definitely stand upon it's own merit! I habeeb it. I know that everyone else here has put eons of effort into their projects, so I am not downing them, but I have but oh so much effort into having a good public product. I also think I have accomplished this (of course with some rough edges here and there).

Also, guys, if you could if you feel like messing with it, I have taken luckywaldo's advice and turned the google groups forum into a dev forum (which is really what it was anyway) and opened up the desura forums.

http://www.forums.evolutionrts.info should redirect there fairly soon as soon as dns gets off of it's ass. I would appreciate any thread posting that I can get. Even if it's commenting about shit that is obvious or stuff you already know (just pls not spamming :-)). It would be nice because I'd like to have a little bit there so people won't be afraid to post.

I suppose with bug reports and forums, I'm going to have to bend away from what is convenient for me as opposed to what is easiest for players.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Forboding Angel wrote:
smoth wrote:Evo is at best a 7 IMO.
Compared to what? Compared to anything else on moddb, gundam is a 10, evo is a 10, zk is a 10...
that is really arrogant.

Lets see 5 is average 10 is perfect..

spring engine craps out about large maps this build of the engine...
pathfinder does crazy insane bug that chews a user's cpu..
most video cards cannot apparently handle spring..

lets assume you produce something actually solid
with halfway decent art.. I say the art is about middle ground..
I don't believe evo is yet balanced in a reasonable way(you just don't have the player count to do that yet)

maybe above average.. so a 6

well lets assume your game is riviting for something that can only be played online..
with no single player...
no story...

man that takes it down a notch...

what about man the gameplay? well nothing really special here. maybe I am missing it but you don't seem to have anything really special here.. like say dow or ruse brought to the table..

I don't see any reason why any spring project deserves above an 8.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Man that is an fps. Also, choose indie, not mod. Last time I checked, we aren't working on mods.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

telling us here what and why you would rate evo is meta-discussion without bearing.

the important thing is to DL it, try the desura version, and give a rating. nobody is asking you to lie; its easy, and the sooner you do it, the sooner evo gets that one more rating, that in turn shows people that yes you can download it and try it.

a vote for evo is a nudge up the ladder for the popularity of spring engine, this is a no-brainer.

nobody is asking for anything unethical like voting high for something you don't like. dont get me wrong; i love all you guys and the fact that (perhaps) some of you might inflate a score as a favor to us (as i probably would for any project on here; we're friends after all) ... really the important thing that i wonder about is people from outside of the spring community downloading and rating the game.... that was the whole point of the desura move after all; to bring more players. period.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

It's worth noting that the Ubuntu version is exactly the same as the Desura version, so if you happen to have that, then the rating you would give it still applies.
Regret

Post by Regret »

Forboding Angel wrote:Compared to what? Compared to anything else on moddb, gundam is a 10, evo is a 10, zk is a 10...
Forboding Angel wrote:Man that is an fps. Also, choose indie, not mod. Last time I checked, we aren't working on mods.
You just use whatever currently suits your argument.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I meant in RTS. Why would you compare it to another genre? That's just dumb.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Some of the Red Alert 3 mods are looking quite good:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/red-alert-3-paradox

Return to “Evolution RTS”