Evo's GUI

Evo's GUI

Old Evo threads before move to own site

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Evo's GUI

Post by Forboding Angel »

Being hardcore renovated. Here is the current iteration. Keep in mind, Kaiser hasn't finished the new skin for it, so this is pre-newskin.

Beherith

Re: Evo's GUI

Post by Beherith »

Very nice and clean. I wonder what it may look like with a dark frame instead of light.
Masure

Post by Masure »

Do you use an existing framework for this GUI ?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

From the looks of it, hes using Chilli (CA framework)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Yes it's chilli. Somewhat heavily modified at this point.

One immediately massive difference is that this GUI scales with resolution. God only knows why the CA guys didn't bother making chili rescale properly by default.

And yeah, I think it could look pretty pimp with a darker frame tbh.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

heh you could do with a new control panel to replace the one on the left, tis the default no?
Masure

Post by Masure »

Forboding Angel wrote:Yes it's chilli. Somewhat heavily modified at this point.

One immediately massive difference is that this GUI scales with resolution. God only knows why the CA guys didn't bother making chili rescale properly by default.

And yeah, I think it could look pretty pimp with a darker frame tbh.
So it's a chili fork ?
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

@Forboding Angel

Ah, that was going to be my first question: how's it look at 1024. Good to hear you made it auto-scale.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

Kaiser hasn't finished the new skin for it
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Pxtl wrote:@Forboding Angel

Ah, that was going to be my first question: how's it look at 1024. Good to hear you made it auto-scale.
I'm not saying that it'll be 100% perfect at every resolution, however as you can see here:

It came out fine at 1024x768, but you would prolly want to resize some of the elements etc which is all fine and good, everything is resizeable just by grabbing the bottom right corner (no tweakmode needed), so it shouldn't cause any grief.

Chilli fork? I guess in a way you could say that, but at the same time, no. Chilli is an excellent framework, but if you're going to use it, first you have to unfuck it for anything else but CA, which isn't that difficult, but that's just the way it is. Now with the one in Evo, I'm taking fairly great pains to make sure that it will be more or less portable to other projects without anywhere near the pain involved.

@kaiser, silence of the lambs? Really? :lol:
smoth

Post by smoth »

It is setup so it scales based on horizontal size. BUT BUT what if I span across 2 widescreens smoth? FUCK YOU, I'm not bothering?

I cannot speak for the other chilli stuff, but I altered the chatbox to make the font and chatbox area scale to your resolution testing specifcially in 1024X768 and 1600x900
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

^^ True, but tbh Other than using screen height (which would produce somewhat undesirable results on 4:3 screens) I really dunno how to get past that. Once thing I DID do, is leave it all so that it can easily be resized and stuff so that if the end user gets some funkyness, at least they can fix it without any big deal.

There are a couple problems this gui has still. First, see the white box where the radar icon should be in the tooltip in the bottom right? I haven't been able to fix that one, and a biggie, the energy display shows -9000 all the time. I tried to look into it, but tbh I'll need some help with that to fix it. I've messaged car about it, but he's already done tons of work on this just to get it in evo in the first place. Sooo, when jk gets back, considering he wrote the resource display widget, I figured I'd bug him about it.

If anyone else here knows whats up with the resource bar, fix it or tell me how to, and there will be mass cookies involved (counterfeit cookies, but stolen cookies taste better).
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Forboding Angel wrote:the energy display shows -9000 all the time
Comment out this line:

Code: Select all

eStor = eStor - 10000 -- reduce by hidden storage
see the white box where the radar icon should be in the tooltip in the bottom right?
Are all your radar icons in the same image format? Such as png. They need to be.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

yeah, they are all in png. I looked up your commit where you fixed the cursortip and yes the cursortip works fine consistently, it's jsut the bottom right that is all funky.

Really???

I saw that line and considered commenting it out, but I've seen some ui devs do some very ... interesting, math for resource displays so I didn't touch it.

Once again...

And for you good sir, a cookie mountain:

Edit: yep that worked perfectly Car. Hmm, you're smarter than me, I wanna be like you when I grow up :mrgreen:
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Forboding Angel wrote:I saw that line and considered commenting it out, but I've seen some ui devs do some very ... interesting, math for resource displays so I didn't touch it.
It's some wacky thing to do with CA pylons. Kinda sucks that it's there making it harder for other mods to straight copy the file.

Re: radar icon.. Ah, gui_chili_selections is not cross-mod compatible like chili_cursortip. I'll have to fix it. I probably fixed it in CAK a while ago so I'll copy that one instead. The one in CA assumes dds icons hardcoded.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Ooooh, ok that explains a lot. Thanks car, I really appreciate it.

BTW here are all the new cmd gui icons that have been added. THe pro looking ones were made by smoth. THe much less pro ones were done by me ;p

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Edit: Well, I'm trying to make the one in evo so that just about anyone can rip it out and use it. In particular, the command/buildmenu is a sticking point for me. I just can't stand not having a proper buildmenu. Radial is great, but if I'm looking at a factory that is on repeat, I need to be able to tell at a glance what I have queued up.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Forboding Angel wrote:I just can't stand not having a proper buildmenu. Radial is great, but if I'm looking at a factory that is on repeat, I need to be able to tell at a glance what I have queued up.
So the long-running buildbar widget isn't your thing? I love it. It shows you all your factories at all times and what you have queued up in them. It's great. Maybe visually it could use an upgrade but I still think it's an essential. I know it's in Evo.

Radial is designed for building structures only, not mobiles in factories.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Ow. Yeah, the layout looks great at 1024, and your command icons still look damned nice... but I think the build icons reveal why CA GUI doesn't resize... those crazy-detailed models are just inscrutable in the little icons.

Still, far more playable than a bunch of GUI elements overlapping each other, so it works better than CA's worse low-res failures... or PURE's first similarly neato GUI where you had nothing but a teeny-tiny window of open space to play on.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Buildbar is still there, however it is disabled by default. It needs some serious work to be adequate tbh.

@pxtl, via the menu, you can resize the icons to whatever size you like, you can also resize the command/buildmenu to whatever suits you best. Keep in mind, that while the backwards compatibility is nice, I'm focusing on modern widescreens mainly. Of course I will do everyhing I can to make it look as good as possible on 4:3 screens, but tbh, low resolution 4:3 screens died an epic death years ago, especially among gamers. When doing this stuff, it's important to not always cater to the lowest common denominator. CA did that for a long time and it showed bigtime.

Basically, you gotta meet somewhere in the middle. My hardware is the minimum that I would recommend using for evo (of course you can use lower... we're talking minimum recommended here).

3 ghz proc (it';s a dual core, but this hardly matters)
4gb ram (should work fine with 2gb as well, but that doesn't make it a good idea)
nvidia 8 series videa card (or ati equivalent)(I have a 9600GT)

I personally have, 3ghz dual core, 4 gb ram,9600GT and evo is consistently butter smooth for me with reflections and shadows on.\ along with normal maps on the units blah blah blah at a viewradius of 120.

However, that said, when talking about screen resolution, meeting in the middle is about 720p-ish - 1600x900 ish. The sooner 4:3 dies completely, the better off the world will be ;p

However, all that said, I will still go out of my why to make sure that this stuff looks decent on smaller screens :-) But just realize that it IS customizable, so you can change it around to your liking. I just have the defaults in such a way that the gui will appear more or less the same initially no matter what resolution it is played at.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

some of the icons im not huge on; the big thing for me is that the margins around the buttons seem a big huge.

let's leave it for now until i get some lotion on this skin, hopefully by the end of the week i'll have a set of graphics to replace the basic chilli ones, as well as a few more "window specific" ones.

either way it looks great so far, nice work guys, its a massive improvement IMO

Return to “Evolution RTS”