Ideas for new faction?

Old Evo threads before move to own site

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

AF
AI Developer

Re: Ideas for new faction?

Post by AF »

I was that enterprising dev

I added tags to change the colour of nanospray, or use teamcolour, or not to draw it at all. The same with nanoframes. I added it in a patch years ago, and its been maintained and improved by various people since.

A field emitter would be like a panel with a glowy sfx coming off it, rather than particle spray directed at the unit. It would have the advantage of not suffering from the lag that can accompany spray directed at moving units.

IIRC there were EE demos or Gundam demos of buildings have husks Earth 2150 style rather than nanoframes, with buildings building themselves.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

actually instead of having the factory emit stuff, it's almost easier to emit it from the unit itself in whilebuilding().

I was thinking about this last night, because yes the factory could emit from the base buildpoint, but what to do when the con's are building, and then it came to me that having an effect go off from the unit in whilebuilding would work quite nicely.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Refer to The Cursed.

Still Im sure a LUPS effect coupled with a lua gadget that just looped through the units and spawned the sfx at the location of the unit would be far easier than modifying each and every structure and unit by hand.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

so what do you guys like?

i'm down for any of these effects really; i love how things look in the cursed, thats for damned sure
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Id reccomend teleporting units in and having them build themselves once spawned, aswell as allowing them to teleport between builder hubs, itd serve as a neat primary mechanic to add a twist to any conventional stuff in the faction
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

AF wrote:Refer to The Cursed.

Still Im sure a LUPS effect coupled with a lua gadget that just looped through the units and spawned the sfx at the location of the unit would be far easier than modifying each and every structure and unit by hand.
LUPS is a lot harder to deal with than CEG and I prefer to use it sparingly if possible. Plus I can make some pretty super spiffy ceg's :-)

Nah, tbh the easiest way would be to put whilebuilding in an include and just call that specific one in each unit, that way there's no redundancy.
AF wrote:Id reccomend teleporting units in and having them build themselves once spawned, aswell as allowing them to teleport between builder hubs, itd serve as a neat primary mechanic to add a twist to any conventional stuff in the faction
^^ This I muchly like. I'm really not sure how I'd do it, but it falls in line with my protoss ripoff idea and like you said, I think it would serve as a really neat game mechanic.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Way I'd imagine it is a list of units that provide teleport ranges around them, and then a teleport command on buildings, but discarding any teleport commands that don't fall within range of the units on the list. Coupled with a gadget to then process the command and trigger a teleport animation at the units location and command target, as well as moving the unit.

Another idea, units that are built in factories and then walk to mex spots and morph into extractors, which can morph back into movable nonextracting units and run away and redeploy.

Return to “Evolution RTS”