Radar Icons

Radar Icons

Old Evo threads before move to own site

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Satirik
Lobby Developer

Radar Icons

Post by Satirik »

your game is nice but your unit icons aren't !
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Second commentated game of Evolution RTS

Post by Forboding Angel »

Whats wrong with them?

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

They're not terribly smooth and the levels of detail are inconsistent. I'll whip up some cleaner replacements this evening, if I can.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Whats wrong with them?
A large issue is that many ground units share the same icon. Shape is an ok differentiator but not for a large number of units sharing the same icon some with very similar sizes.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Radar is radar. It doesn't tell you exactly what is coming at you.
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

Logos: It's hard to differentiate between them due to shape similarities, and the high level of detail in the icons makes them hard to distinguish in large groups. Basic, solid (not outlined) shapes are good for icons. Still, it's a good job.

Commentary: Not bad, a marked improvement from the last commentated game. More analysis would be good, with less describing of what is immediately happening and obvious. Also, the audio is good now :-).
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Just... arg, I must be stupid because I know where this is heading.

Radar tells you what is coming at you if you have seen the unit before and it's coverage is unbroken.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Google_Frog wrote:
Just... arg, I must be stupid because I know where this is heading.

Radar tells you what is coming at you if you have seen the unit before and it's coverage is unbroken.
Hf and gl on making those 56 unit icons! /sarcasm

That said, having an individual unit icon for every single unit is beyond confusing (and while it's not exactly like this, I'll cite CA as a perfect example, that shit is effing confusing). As it is, they are separated by type.

Additionally, what we can do with unit icons is extremely simple. We get black and white with levels of transparency.

But hey, what do I care? Make an icon for every single unit and I'll add them. Otherwise, there isn't any point mentioning it, because I have many more important things to do than screw around with ambiguous unit icons.

Edit: It appears that I cannot split this topic, so neddie would you be so kind?
Google_Frog

Re: Radar Icons

Post by Google_Frog »

Split.

You don't need to go as far as CA's icon system. I mentioned the lack of unit icons as if Neddie is going to create a new set it would be worthwhile adding a few more. For example you could have an icon for assault and use size as a differentiator between large and small assault.
That said, having an individual unit icon for every single unit is beyond confusing (and while it's not exactly like this, I'll cite CA as a perfect example, that shit is effing confusing).
As long as you have a logical system many unit icons can be perfectly understandable. Anyone who has played CA should be able to identify the icons as they are mostly a combination of several role and chassis icons.
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

actually i meant the "left build panel" unit icon background and icons (but mainly background)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Yeah, it's gonna get changed. It's only the building uniticon backgrounds that is busy. The rest are great.

It isn't a huge priority though atm, so it'll get done when I have time to allocate to it, etc.

Regarding radar icons, I'll pretty much put the final word up like this. It is not a priority for me. The current ones work quite well. However that said, evo's svn is public. If you like, feel free to make new ones and submit a patch, but radar icons are not and won't be for some time, a priority of any consequence.

But like I said, if they get made and they look good, then they'll get added, end of story. If not, they won't.

Return to “Evolution RTS”