First commentated game of Evolution RTS

Old Evo threads before move to own site

Moderators: Moderators, Content Developer

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

First commentated game of Evolution RTS

Post by Forboding Angel »

(That I know of anyway)

It's me vs a shard. I was testing my fraps settings, trying to get 1080p quality. On this vid I only got 720p, but I know now how I"ll be able to get more.

I'll tell you right now, my commentary is 100% fail and probably fairly boring, however, this was just a test for settings and things. Also, you'll notice that my mic isn't loud enough on the recording, so at several points, the game sounds overpower my speaking. I know how to avoid that in the future as well.

I'm still uploading the vids. Will take probably an hour more for all 3 parts to be done (the total size was nearly a gig). I'm wishing that I was in california right now, cause out there we would have verizon fiber optic with 5mbit upload speeds, whereas where I'm at now I only have 1.5 mbit upload.

Anyway, enjoy :-) My tactics in this game were designed specifically only to beat the AI. In a human vs human game it would have failed miserably (basically cause I'm spamming light raiders, so my opponent would spam riots and it'd be gg for me).

Also, pardon my midwestern accent. It annoys me that I have it, considering that I'm from California originally, but meh whatever. You'll prolly get a few lols at me losing my train of thought in places :lol:

It may take a while for the 720p youtubes to show up, so if they haven't yet, jsut check back later (can't see shit at the normal quality).

http://www.youtube.com/forbodingangel
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Re: First commentated game of Evolution RTS

Post by hoijui »

nice! :-)

i can only choose between 320p and 480p, will the 720p be available after some hours?

At these resolutions, it is a bit bad that the map is quite dark, and your units too. i only really saw them when they were shooting, or because of the health bars.
maybe also zoom in close from time to time, so we can see some models in more detail.

i would prefer it without music, or if have to be, much more subtle one.

i am sure you will get more players with the help of such videos. keep it up! :-)
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

I hear nothing but explosions :)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

:-( What the heck! Dude seriously, these vids are at 720p exactly, why is youtube being fail?

I really don't know what I did wrong :-( I use sothink hd video converter, set for flv at the default 720p.

Sorry guys, I guess I just dicked it up. I'll record the next one at 1080p (my default res is 1920x1200, but I halved it because I was going for 720p. I'll just do 1080p next time and save us all the trouble).
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Turn up the vocals though, the explosions are very loud.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i await the updated version before viewing.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

There won't be an updated version. This vid is almost a gig in size, and I can't up the quality of the vid or change the volume of me talking without redoing it anyway.

You could, however, watch it and give some opinions on making things better.
det

Post by det »

I cant make out a single word,
Kenku

Post by Kenku »

I definitly turn off the music and turn up the mic. Much of the commentary was lost in the missle barrages and gun fire. On the commentary itself, it was informative, although I need to rewatch it give you a full opinion.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Well the music goes into the background big time when battle starts. Long story short, I just didn't have the sound settings right. I've never done anything like that before, and when I started it up I was only doing it to test, but then I started having fun talking about stuff so I just kept going :-)

The biggest issue I see is that I don't sound excited at all. All the commentaries I watch of others (HDStarcraft, Husky Starcraft), they are a lot of fun to listen to because they sound very upbeat and excited. I'm hoping that my dreary sounding voice can be attributed to it being 3 am at that point.

I'd like to use commentated games as a means of teaching people how to play. You know, we all say to spectate games and pay attention, well It struck me that I could take that a step further and have some fun with it at the same time. I hate listening to myself recorded because my voice sounds weird to me, but I guess it's never gotten on anyone's nerves that I know of, so it must be just be being dumb. And yes, as previously stated, there isn't much I can do about the midwestern accent. Sigh, I used to have a nice sounding accent, now I sound like the illegitimate son of a sheep farmer (hurry up and jump on the band wagon, forb just make a joke about himself and the doors are wide open! LIMITED TIME OFFER!!!!one11ELEVENTY1!).

I'mma try to do a new video tomorrow if I can. I'd love to cast a few human players going at it, but I have a few replays that I could use, most noteably me, kaiser, willk, wombat, and someone else (det?) vs 5 shards. That was a fun game :-)
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Have you watched back the video before uploading? Because otherwise I don't see how you could have missed that your voice is entirely covered by the battle sound.

Is it not possible for you to record voice, battle, and music on three seperate tracks, and mix then afterward? I mean, being in a band and all, you sure know all that better than me.

Maybe it's just me who can't get interested in replays and only want showcases and promos, but I found it boring. Not because of the voice tone, but because the camera viewpoint barely change, and there's not that much exciting happening, the action is repetitive and non-thrilling. Try to speed up the part where nothing happens, to zoom in & track a unit from time to time, and maybe even to vary camera viewpoint. Weren't you one those weirdo claming to play in FPS view instead of TA overhead?

Sure, dramatization and convoluted camera placement may make it less truthful to how a real game is played, but at least you'd grab more of the viewer attention. Oh and I watched only the first two minutes of part 1 and one minute of part 3 btw.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Commentate a real game between humans, or at least play solidly like you would vs a proper opponent. Otherwise I dont see much learning value.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

zwzsg wrote:Have you watched back the video before uploading? Because otherwise I don't see how you could have missed that your voice is entirely covered by the battle sound.
Of course, but by then it was too late to do anything about other than redo it, and tbh I wanted to see what it would look like on youtube. As stated, I was rather upset when 720p didn't show up. That irritates me a lot.
zwzsg wrote: Is it not possible for you to record voice, battle, and music on three seperate tracks, and mix then afterward? I mean, being in a band and all, you sure know all that better than me.
Sure, it's very possible, but also quite expensive. I could record the video and then watch the video back and record a track to it, but tbh at that point I wouldn't have camera movement control and it would be pretty awkward. I could also use my desktop to record the vid and game sounds and my laptop to record the voice, but tbh it isn't needed. As I mentioned before, I didn't even test before I did this. Afterwards I watched the whole thing through and noted the audio issues but decided to upload it anyway.
zwzsg wrote:Weren't you one those weirdo claming to play in FPS view instead of TA overhead?
Nope, that would be fang or smoth, however if a total war camera that didn't suck were introduced I would probably use those, but I've only ever used ta overhead to play.
JohannesH wrote:Commentate a real game between humans, or at least play solidly like you would vs a proper opponent. Otherwise I dont see much learning value.
Well, duh.

You guys do realize that I decided to commentate this replay on nothing but a whim right? I thought that much was obvious.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Forboding Angel wrote:As stated, I was rather upset when 720p didn't show up. That irritates me a lot.
Sometimes it takes six hours or more for the high res version to show up. Keep faith!
zwzsg wrote:Nope, that would be fang or smoth
Oops sorry, indeed that was Fang.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Nah, it's been well over that by now. I dicked it up somehow :-/
Kenku

Post by Kenku »

Forboding Angel wrote:
I'mma try to do a new video tomorrow if I can. I'd love to cast a few human players going at it, but I have a few replays that I could use, most noteably me, kaiser, willk, wombat, and someone else (det?) vs 5 shards. That was a fun game :-)
You mean the myfirstmap7 game? Hahaha! That would be an interesting game to hear about. Wish I could help with a new game, but my playtime is restricted till next weekend probably.

Return to “Evolution RTS”