New Spring-authentic map: Altored Mars v2

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Ultra high quality, took 11 hours to render in terragen on my fast computer. Notice the real OTA mars metal patches.

Get it here: (updated version, less fog, better compression) http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ta-a ... e?download 5 MB
Last edited by Caydr on 01 May 2005, 19:41, edited 8 times in total.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Woah, the fog/tinting is heavy. I understand the atmospheric/ambiance reason, but keep it within reasoneable limit for the shake of gameplay.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Yeah, it's very heavy... I haven't played on it in MP yet, but it doesn't seem to have too much of a negative effect on gameplay.
Last edited by Caydr on 30 Apr 2005, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Posted the file. It will take a while for the faster mirrors to get it, but it's not that big. Only about 6 MB and in a winace self-extractor.

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ta-a ... e?download
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

WOW!!

Fantasitc job! Very marsish!!

I like :D

Needs more metal... mars IS all iron oxide hence the "rust" look.
genblood

Post by genblood »

Looks GREAT .... 8)

I got to get it :P
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

It's very hard to see units...
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Yes, that's what I was going for. I wanted it to be as real as possible, even if that means a realistic mars-ish atmosphere.
Needs more metal... mars IS all iron oxide hence the "rust" look.
There would need to be oxygen for there to be any kind of oxide. Just because the moon is white doesn't mean it's all calcium :-)
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Why do atmospheric effects also affect the hud?
Dwarden

Post by Dwarden »

[K.B.] Napalm Cobra wrote:Why do atmospheric effects also affect the hud?
maybe Your cockpit got some leaks? :))))
CaptainExo

Post by CaptainExo »

Very atmospheric... literally :)

Can't wait to test it.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

I'd have to say thats the more atmospheric of the spring maps so far, but mars is more similair to the mars bundled with the regular installer than this but with a pink sky. and maybe a litle pinkier, but not red-orange
Storm

Post by Storm »

Ugh... that kind of map is just pointless to play on...
CaptainExo

Post by CaptainExo »

Storm, if you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything.

Perhaps if you thinned out the fog a -little-, Caydr, it would be a bit better. Just my 2 pence. :)
Storm

Post by Storm »

That's what I mean. The fog... the fog!.

No really, it looks like a cool map, but since you hardly see even your own unit, playing on it, kinda defeats the purpose.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

It would be easy enough to change the ambience value in the smd2 file (or whatever that is) but it wouldn't be "official"- this is something that Caydr has to do himself.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Just noticed there was a download link. Image

Actually ingame you can more or less see your own units, at least if you press L and don't go farther than a third of map. But the ground is totally lost in a blurry red soup, and, the interface, the HUD, things like buildpics, ressources bars, etc... are so foggy it's a constant strain on the eye. I wouldn't like to play a map like that for a full game, because of the pain on my eyes it would created.

This is a great pity, for I really love the overall color scheme, the dark blue sky with a /pink/pastel red/orangeish/I can't name that color/ sun and horizon. The first two pictures Caydr posted show he has took the care of having metal only on whiter area, sadly as I said the ground simply can't be seen through the fog.

It's really good to have different ambients and light scheme on different maps, but please, don't use totally out of scale values like on that map.

BTW, what's the value that created such a fog? Is it FogStart=-3; ?
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Yes, it was -3 I think. This was just a concept map, I was planning to release a final version in a certain period of time. It's unfortunate that the fog obscures the HUD as well, otherwise I don't think it would be such a problem. If the interface was completed, it would not be transparent as it is now I'm guessing.

~~

I've updated the map now, less fog and better compression. Hit the link again for the new version.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Can you post updated screenies?
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Storm wrote:Anyway, I have removed the map from FU because it is unplayable graphic-wise.
Sound like you're trying to give him argument for yet another flame war. Edit: Where the have I taken that quote from? I swear it was here somewhere! I just hope it wasn't from an other map.

Some people like it, it took Caydr probably much work and dedication to make it, it fits in in the category it's in, leave it.

I thought FileUniverse was a repository for all TA related stuff, good or bad.

I've you're now doing a selection on what is worth be on FU, then you should remove MH2 as well, it hurts me to see how the magnificient spring engine made for this has been turned into that.

As I have just typed that I went to FU and MH2 too is no more. I'm afraid all this could degenerate quickly into a flame fest.
Caydr wrote:I was planning to release a final version in a certain period of time.
I've updated the map now, less fog and better compression. Hit the link again for the new version.
Ah good. I guess it should be clearer each time when a map is considered releasable or just a test bed.

Return to “Map Releases”