Moderator: Moderators

IceXuick

..:: New Map ::.. - Cathralda V10

Post by IceXuick »

Okay, i will officially 'release' my TA:Spring map here. You can download it @:

[EDIT]
This link downloads the new version V10

http://www.fileuniverse.com/?p=showitem&ID=3010

For the latest screen shots, check the last page of this thread.

..:: Cathralda Minimap Overview ::..

Last edited by IceXuick on 20 Apr 2006, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

could someone please post some glamour shots?

Ice. It's absolutely beautiful. I dunno really what to say except that I'm very impressed. Great work dude.

Edit: nevermind... I found some. Wow.

BvDorp

Post by BvDorp »

Awesome!

Looks pretteh! You could contribute a lot.. Hope this game develops fast enough to let you have your way in GUI, unit and map design!
wizard8873

Post by wizard8873 »

looks gorgeous. must go hope and download. oh, and welcome aboard. i liked your renders from the ta2 suggestion page and always wanted to see some actually used in game. keep up the great work
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

From the preview shots, this map looks nice.
What are the map dimensions?
Are the gray spots on the minimap metal patches?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Fiz, click the link FTW!

Hehehe :D

it's 16x16 and yes... those are metal patches. If you are obsevant, you will also notice that he has at least 1 geo in the map as well.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

WOW, nice looking mate.

You've stolen my thunder though... how dare you! (INSERTS SHAMELESS PLUG) http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4199

Seriosly though this looks very high quality. The sort of looks I would spend 27 meg on. (Unlike some large maps which look crap)

Got any more up your sleaves?

aGorm
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

aye, its VERY pretty... but its missing something...

features.. :wink:

do I hear a V2 anytime soon? :-)

lemmie know what features you wanna cram on it, and I'll get working on em
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Ice mate, that is the single most beautiful map I have seen for Spring, ever...

and you're the guy who made those crazy sweet "TA 2 Concept" images aren't you?

Good to have you be a part of the Spring community mate :D
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Ice, you are a legend. We need more map-makers like you!
IceXuick

Post by IceXuick »

thanks for all the pleasing replies. And sorry for stealing thunder from other also good map-makers.

I'am hoping to get to make some gui for spring, because i think i can help the spring in game menu's look much better. I have made interfaces before. So if anyone from spring needs a graphic designer feel free to ask me.

About the map:
Yes, features are the one thing missing. I did have a look at other maps with nice features, and the only thing i really need to get them in, is time. The time i took to design and make this map work, should be put in my study!. Unfortunately i have a big deadline next monday, so the features will have to wait at least till then. Maybe some of you guys have more experience using features, and know the right features to fit this map.

About the next map:
i have already designed and test rendered a new map. Again green, but after that one i want something different. Maybe i will start a poll to ask what the majority of the players like to see.

thx again for the great replies!

IceXuick
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Wow, some of those map screenshots are some of the best screenshots I've ever seen come out of spring. The lighting suits the map perfectly. I can't wait to see this map in action.
MeraK

Post by MeraK »

Very nice and beautiful map, although I couldn't "really" test it because of a game crash :roll: . (it seems that there is a rule that says that when you are enjoying the game on a beautiful map, and in the middle of it, it MUST crash)

For the GUI, I think that the most recent thread about it is this one : http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3912 if you haven't already seen it.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

looks beautiful, but crashes for me on load. :(
IceXuick

Post by IceXuick »

I've looked into that thread now (about gui). If i could help already making it in some kind of working state that would be nice. However, i must look into it deeper, and programming isn't my strongest point you know...

maybe someone is here that already knows how to build a working user interface.

My main aim is at least to create all the nifty graphics for it.

The map that crashes on more people bothers me a lot. It is probably the lower compression setting, and the fact that there isn't much real flat land, and therefor no tiling textures (that reduce the size, and probably gamespeed/-demands)

I am working on the next map already (although i want some nice features in cathralda, and get it to work on most peepz computers)

if i get more problems from other players, i can recompile the map in a kind of 'light' version, with a higher compression factor, and there for reducing the size (but also the quality :( )

later.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

The "flatness" of teh land does not affect the tilling system, though your terrain is very varid. However I have seen bigger maps that work so i doubt its file size (after all its sill compresed dds files, and i take it the map isnt more than 64 meg uncompresed?) And everyone should have atleast a 64 graphicscard im sure. I dont even think teh terrain works like that anyway...

What number did you use for the compression? 0.1? 0? Also, what sort of high compression did you try??

aGorm
IceXuick

Post by IceXuick »

Okey. I used compress 0.5 (not even that compressed), but uncompressed the map is 196 mb (bmp 24-bit). That should be the same size as any other 16x16 map texture (8192x8192 pixels). Or you mean the sd7 compression => than it just is ~46 mb. I used the 0.6 compression on my new map althora, but that one is already showing alot of tiling, and it aint pretty :(

Indeed the flatness doesn't matter.. but my guess is, the texture does.. And there where the texture has little detail (in shadow areas for instance), a higher compression wil result in tiling stuff..

let me know if you have more info on how to get a map with this detail working. I think yu might need it for yourself aswell, your last map is very nice, and also with some great detail in it!! your future maps wil probably keep getting better, and probably more detailed...

ice out
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Ahh.... your map has build in shadows?

That might explane why it looks so good, but also the insane file size!

Basicly i have shadows turned on so I dont put them into my maps, i just let teh game add them, which i think should be teh way to go.

Unless i missread yoru statment.

Next map wont have that problem atall cause my next map will be tiled loads...

Humm I use 0.5 aswell on my new stuff, if you renedred teh shadows in that will be why. If not, thinking caps on time!

aGorm
IceXuick

Post by IceXuick »

well i do have shadows rendered with them, but not the long shadow the game will bring in. Just darker egdes of mountains / ridges.

Now experimenting with the typemap, which wasn't included in the first release. They work okay, but not always perfect.

And yes render without shadows is the way to go, the TA engine is capable of creating nice shadows.

well see wat my evening filled editing will bring forward...

check u later
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Grovey man

aGorm

Return to “Map Releases”