Metal Factions Developer

Scorched Crossing

Post by raaar »

Scorched Crossing!

(version v2)

In-game screenshot

Minimap

SPRINGFILES LINK

Volcanic landscape with lots of geothermal spots.

14x14

North vs South recommended, namely NW vs SE.

2-6 players.

--- special rules

- units and features that fall to the lava are forced to float and burn for about 300 HP/s
(they can be rescued by air transports on various games)
- projectiles that fall to the lava are destroyed
Attachments
screenshot.png
minimap.png
Last edited by raaar on 03 Aug 2022, 01:44, edited 2 times in total.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Scorched Crossing

Post by PicassoCT »

Needs scorch marks around lava holes for extra hotness..

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/7UEYHp1P66s/maxresdefault.jpg
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

If i made some lava map features, would you add them ? Also, we need those pulsating self-ilumination maps, starcraft had.. great for energy strips, and little cracks with lava glowing pulsating below..
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Sweet! What is your toolchain for heightmap/texture editing?
DmitryProfessional

Post by DmitryProfessional »

Good job, raaar. You are making well-proportioned maps with interesting layout, that's most important quality.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

Thanks.
PicassoCT wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 22:48 If i made some lava map features, would you add them ? Also, we need those pulsating self-ilumination maps, starcraft had.. great for energy strips, and little cracks with lava glowing pulsating below..
Maybe. I don't like the idea of lava cracks very much. It's been attempted on various iterations of the incandescence map map and looks weird. I think that map would be better without them.

There's an iteration of the Ravaged map which has a dark lava layer with glowing cracks (I'm considering switching to it on my recommended map pool). It looks ok, but I prefer my lava type (and mechanics associated with it).

I value consistency more than raw asset quality: a 60 elmos wide greyish rock would be fitting, a three headed monkey would not regardless of how polished it is. Another thing is performance cost and file size (my maps are generally < 30 MB).

You could make generic sets of features for different map types and with standardized names to avoid collisions, then people could unzip them into their maps and cherry pick the ones they want to use. There's probably stuff like that already.
Beherith wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 10:12 Sweet! What is your toolchain for heightmap/texture editing?
I use paint.net to make layered images for the heightmap at a higher than required resolution, and them use them as a base to build the layered diffuse (one at about half resolution and the other with fewer layers at full resolution - for a 14x14 map, full resolution would be 7168x7168px).

The textures are done manually by stacking blurred countours and overlays with builtin effects included in paint.net (clouds, noise, blurs, dents, etc.). I often use a higher contrast version of the heightmap image itself as an overlay to the map texture.

Then I use Gimp to convert a flattened version of the heightmap to 16 bit greyscale and add some extra blur or smoother ramps if necessary and use a command line application to convert it to raw format.

Then I use a batch file that calls your mapconv application (thanks for it, btw :)) and uses the given diffuse, heightmap etc, and generates the .smf and .smt files, which i then move to the maps directory.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

2022/07/29 ------------------ NOTES v2 ----------------------

- lua resource spot marking stamps textures in the ground instead of relying on feature decals
(because people often have the ground decals disabled)

- removed unsupported map options

- increased metal spot yield slightly, set 2 big metal spots in north and south and added 2 more metal spots near the NW and SW corner

- repositioned the geothermal spots in the middle

- modified the height map to add a few obstacles for cover from long range fire on both sides

- improved map texture, added DNTS textures

- fixed lua errors when a unit fell on lava for players that started with the ambient player widget disabled

Return to “Map Releases”