Oktogon

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Silentwings

Oktogon

Post by Silentwings »

2-16 players, 24x24 FFA map

Special mechanics, when FFA mode* is on:
  • 1. Dynamic metal: unoccupied startspots are given just one mex, rather than three, similarly for geovents.
    2. Big variety of random start position configurations, using rotational/reflectional symmetries
(*) viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31849

16 players:

One of the possible 10 player configs, note empty startspots with less mexes & absent geos:

The 16 possible start positions can each be attacked by three different opponent start positions, and are approximately equidistant in walking time. It's not easy to do this in 2d... the maps name is from the octogon of outer bases.

The central area is resource rich, whereas the outer rim is sparse. The grassy areas are gentle hills. This is difficult to balance without seeing games; I'll be happy to make a new version if there is consensus amongst ffa players on what should be changed. Post in this thread, if so.

Update: Made v3 with fixed mexes, all mexes now give 2.12 metal.

Made with World Machine.

DL link: https://springfiles.com/spring/spring-maps/oktogon
Attachments
screen00929.png
(1.66 MiB) Not downloaded yet
screen00930.png
(1.64 MiB) Not downloaded yet
PtaQ

Re: Oktogon

Post by PtaQ »

Hmm dynamic mexes sounds really interesting. Gotta try this out when I'm back home, thanks for the add :)
triton
Lobby Moderator

Post by triton »

I saw some players played it with ffa 7 players, didnt watch it yet, but you can find the game in replay website.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I watched the game, all looked good, although players were briefly confused by the dynamic metal.

If the dynamic metal is a popular enough feature, it can easily be added to other ffa maps.

More generally: I'm going to have a go at making some new ffa maps, since there is a minor shortage. One other is already a wip & I'm happy to consider any other designs (i.e. sketch heightmaps or graphs of base interactions) that FFA players think of - pm me or just post here.
PtaQ

Post by PtaQ »

Some long time ago I had an idea of a map that could be played is many different team/ffa configurations, came up with this sketch:
lets play a 1v1 or 2v2 or 3v3 or 4v4 or 5v5 or 6v6 or 7v7 or 8v8 or 9v9 or FFA 3, 6 or teamffa 2v2v2, 2v2v2v2v2, 3v3v3, 3v3v3v3v3v3 etc :D

Return to “Map Releases”