Highway 95

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Highway 95

Post by raaar »

Highway 95!

Will you follow the road, go through the northern hills, or southern valley?

(version v7)

Picture

Minimap

springfiles link

a 14x12 map good for 1v1 to 3v3.

East VS West.

(6 start positions set)

It relies on luamex support (and includes its own gadget for it), which means that the metalmap shown on springlobby is blank, but you can see the spots easily on the minimap on the lobby clients.
Attachments
screenshot_sml.jpg
in-game screenshot
(135.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
minimap_sml.jpg
minimap
(153.69 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by raaar on 02 Aug 2022, 19:13, edited 6 times in total.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Re: Highway 95

Post by raaar »

2018/02/11 ------------------ NOTES v2 ----------------------

- added a grittier texture to differentiate between the lower and higher hills
(the higher ones are not climbable by vehicles on some games)

- increased the center metal spot value by about 10% and reduced the values of other spots by 5%, excluding the big corner spots, which stayed the same

- made ground darker around the bigger metal spots in each corner to highlight them more

- made map brighter in general, especially when zoomed in

- increased the detail level of the rock formation texture
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Loved the little cars going back and forth like in that classic TA Singleplayer map..

Link to the car version:
https://springfiles.com/spring/spring-maps/highway-95

Unless raar "balances" it again.

PS: Raar did you know that 90 % of all people stop reading and start clicking if they see something they want?
Attachments
screen00062.png
(1.64 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by PicassoCT on 12 Feb 2018, 09:02, edited 1 time in total.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

now I need to add a note:

CARS NOT INCLUDED

Picasso did that.

That reminded me of the "parking lot" map with car wrecks I've thought about........hmm......

Maybe i'll do it someday.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

2018/05/20 ------------------ NOTES v3 ----------------------

- remade metal spot positioning to incentivize players to move along the road instead of trying to rush the corners

- added a lower ground area to make the south side landscape more interesting

- added min wind multiplier for ZK to slightly increase min wind gen output (0.3-1.2)

- improved some of the textures on the terrain
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

2018/05/31 ------------------ NOTES v4 ----------------------

- modified the center marble-like pattern to look more varied

- use "noisier" detail texture
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

2019/03/23 ------------------ NOTES v5 ----------------------

- improved texture for the metal spots along the road

- fixed height map to prevent some units from climbing into the southern half of the marble formation

- raised the map height from 100 to 300 (it's harder to terraform into water on zero-k)

- increased the hardness of the marble formation
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

2021/01/24 ------------------ NOTES v6 ----------------------

- made the center rocky formation taller and harder to navigate and set up on

- visually improved the middle geothermal spot

- added a rocky formation in the middle of the southern valley and moved the middle metal spots more towards the east and west positions

- improved visual differentiation between low yield and regular yield metal spots

- added specular texture and removed fog

- improved road texture and removed the middle stripes
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

2022/07/25 ------------------ NOTES v7 ----------------------

- lua resource spot marking stamps textures in the ground instead of relying on feature decals
(because people often have the ground decals disabled)

- removed unsupported map options

- improved map texture

- slightly increased metal yield for the smaller spots
sprunk

Post by sprunk »

In v7 mexes are somehow broken in ZK (now detected as a metalmap, you can place everywhere).

Looks like most of your maps got broken that way in their latest iteration as well (the mex config file got renamed from `map_metal_layout.lua` to `map_resource_spot_layout.lua`, looks like the culprit)
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

Someone recently told me that a map or engine change was made that has the effect of making maps exclusive to specific engine forks or mods, because they didn't want people "stealing" maps.

They also told me an alternate explaination would be offered to anyone who asks why, to obscure the true motivations for the change.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

The metal spots work on BA/BAR and MF, but do not work on ZK.

I renamed the mex spot file because it now includes geothermal spots as well because a gadget uses that to figure out where to put the geothermal decals.

You could fix it game-side for all my maps by modifying Luarules/Gadgets/mex_spot_finder.lua to be compatible with both file names

Code: Select all

local MAPSIDE_METALMAP = "mapconfig/map_metal_layout.lua"
local ALT_MAPSIDE_METALMAP = "mapconfig/map_resource_spot_layout.lua"

local mapConfig = VFS.FileExists(MAPSIDE_METALMAP) and VFS.Include(MAPSIDE_METALMAP) or false
if not mapConfig then
	mapConfig = VFS.FileExists(ALT_MAPSIDE_METALMAP) and VFS.Include(ALT_MAPSIDE_METALMAP) or false
end

seems easier than me fixing/reuploading 15 or so maps :)

(no ares there's no conspiracy here)
aparty

Post by aparty »

Ares wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 09:35 Someone recently told me that a map or engine change was made that has the effect of making maps exclusive to specific engine forks or mods, because they didn't want people "stealing" maps.

They also told me an alternate explaination would be offered to anyone who asks why, to obscure the true motivations for the change.
would this be you telling yourself this
Ares
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by Ares »

I was also curious why raaar seemed so unconcerned by this issue despite proof being readily available for anyone to test for themselves.

The missing context is Metal Factions was recently recruited to use the BAR engine. Consequently, Raaar is no longer concerned by these issues as he plans to abandon the official engine shortly.

Sadly, Raaar can now be found celebrating how many players BAR have in their echo chamber thread since SaturnV and anyone who disagreed have been banned.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

I am concerned about new maps relying on game-specific quirks or features from new engine versions which won't fallback properly on 105.0. But who's responsible for this? Is it even reasonable to expect people that downloaded and are playing some game and start making maps for it account for quirks of other similar games they don't even play/know about? I don't think it's realistic to expect that.

In this map's case, using you could argue that it was me that didn't take into account zk when making the map so it broke compatibility with it....
(I probably tested the decal workaround thing but renamed the lua file later which caused the issue)

Perhaps we could have a "map standards" wiki page which links to the map guidelines for various communities (bar, zk,etc.) and has lists of what various games expect from maps.

As for BAR105 engine, i've said repeatedly that I plan on moving to it eventually as it's actively developed by trusted sources, is much more compatible to 105.0 than the official 106.0 while offering similar performance gains and it's used by the most populated games (BAR and ZK atm).

The official develop branch should either merge the bar105 changes or there could be a new BAR105 branch on the official repository that mirrors the one managed by BAR devs and gets releases made off of it from time to time while official devs figure out what to do with the official develop branch.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

A map standard page would totally make sense.. but maybe go even further, and enforce it directly via engine?

Return to “Map Releases”