Xiu Bi Crossing

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Xiu Bi Crossing

Post by Forboding Angel »

20x14

Nice flat areas to fight with some sneaky sneaky sinkholes for hiding things. Includes lua metal map, but I recommend providing your own.

Your game must rely on Spring Features, otherwise you will see no features in the game (the map will work regardless of whether you have it or not).

So as you can see, I generated this texture in l3dt. I wanted to see if I could create textures using l3dt that were satisfactory and to my liking. The result is, in my opinion ok, it's not breathtaking by any means. The ssmf and features help cover up some of the less attractive things about it.

The terrain is meant to somewhat emulate that of titan/titanduel, as those maps always produce amazing games.

https://springfiles.com/spring/spring-m ... i-crossing

raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Re: Xiu Bi Crossing

Post by raaar »

Thanks for the map. Looks nice on the pictures. Terrain is nice. Those lower areas that are still crossable by ground units but covered in fog are a nice concept.

but....

- I don't have springfeatures (deliberate) but i'm still able to start a game. Unfortunately the map is empty in that case : no features, no metal or geo spots

- metal and geo spots do not show on springlobby

- no map options show up on springlobby (at least within the single player tab)
(not that I ever tweak those)

- the transitions between different terrain types look exaggerated and unnatural
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

raaar wrote:Thanks for the map. Looks nice on the pictures. Terrain is nice. Those lower areas that are still crossable by ground units but covered in fog are a nice concept.
Yeah, the idea was to have a slightly open but still somewhat dynamic battlefield.
raaar wrote: - I don't have springfeatures (deliberate) but i'm still able to start a game. Unfortunately the map is empty in that case : no features, no metal or geo spots
The bolded parts have noting to do with you not having spring features.
raaar wrote:- metal and geo spots do not show on springlobby
Springlobby needs to learn to show Lua metal maps.
raaar wrote:- no map options show up on springlobby (at least within the single player tab)
(not that I ever tweak those)
I don't think that there are any.
raaar wrote:- the transitions between different terrain types look exaggerated and unnatural
I agree. The exercise was to render it completely in l3dt and not do any post processing at all.

There aren't any geo spots on the map. You should enable lua metal map support. At that point your game can use the included config, OR you can override it with your own.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

So in the future resource spots within each map will possibly be set differently for each game, or even change dynamically according to the number of players (something like this exists on some cases, I think).

Thanks for the link, I'll keep relying only on the builtin resource maps on the short term, but I may pick that up eventually.

I've seen people using general "metalmult" properties, but not dynamic metal spot placement.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

It's not dynamic metal spots, it's just spots placed by lua instead of baking it into the map, which is just silly.

Same goes for geovent placing. They should never be baked into the map, they should be placed with lua.

Return to “Map Releases”