Painted Badlands - Page 2

Painted Badlands

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

qray

Re: Painted Badlands

Post by qray »

Great, thanks a lot, bunch of useful infos to get me started! I already planned to do some first steps into models and started reading the wiki pages.
Upspring doesn't run on wine, but I anyway planned to get again a VM with Win running here. Unfortunately, I'm very busy at work right now (=overtime and braindead on the evenings), so I expect that I can only really start working on this the next weekend.
Never tried wings3d, but this was also anyway on my list of things to learn (for another future map project where I would need some special, custom features).
Beherith wrote:A couple of things i have notice: the rocks have null-normals, didnt you get a warning about that in infolog?
Actually not, neither with spring 100 or 102-RC1. I usually quickly scan infolog before releasing a map searching for stuff like "error", "fail" etc.. Now on a closer look I only found this, which I missed before:

Code: Select all

[f=-000001] [Texture] Warning: [LoadAndCacheTexture] could not load texture "tex2.png" from model "objects3d/features/noize/pdrock4.s3o"
which you already mentioned.

----

OK, while I was typing this answer your EDIT arrived. Already tested and works like a charm :-)
Now, as expected, the textures are too bright, which is a good thing (they were supposed to be the same as the rocks on the map, but as I wrote above: they were too dark due to the shadow problem, which I didn't notice, so I adjusted them super bright).
Wings3d is on my list...

Again, thanks a lot! :-)
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

for future reference: they werent actually null normals, just very small normals pointed inward!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I honestly thought you knew there was a seam in them. I thought it was kinda obvious from the way they were unwrapped (I'm guessing you never looked at the uvmap).
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

There is a series of rocks that will accept any texture and look seamless (thats what they were designed to do), they are brockXXX.
viewtopic.php?p=422447#p422447
qray

Post by qray »

Thanks, that's good to know :-)

I think I will still have first a look at the other rocks (if only to get a bit more insight into the modelling stuff).

Return to “Map Releases”