Akilon Wastelands - Page 2

Akilon Wastelands

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Orfelius

Re: Akilon Wastelands

Post by Orfelius »

I kinda think that Forb is deliberately making a worse and worse quality maps to see if he can get away with it :wink:

Anarchid just imagine that this is Starcraft and mineralblocking is a feature.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Starcraft doesn't have any blocking, units giddily shoot through each other.

So do they in Evo.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

smoth wrote:As far as mex spots, I'd go with the mex spot widget, do you need a copy forb?
I have never gotten it to work worth a shit. All I wanted to do was make a config like the ones I make with google frogs mex placer widget thingy which outputs configs to be read by the gadget or some shit I can't remember how it works.

If you have a copy that actually works then heck yeah.

Wrt energy spire colvols, could someone be arsed to make hitboxes for them? I can adjust the sphere, but a lot of those models are multiple spires in a single model so getting the sphere right is tricky. I suppose the way to fix it easily would be to make hitdensity 0. At least that will override the collidefeature tags I think (I'll have to test in BA).

Edit: Hitdensity doesn't exist anymore -_- Who the fuck removed it? Sigh.

Unfortunately there will probably be 2 or 3 more revisions of this map, lemmie know if there are any issues please.
Last edited by Forboding Angel on 07 Jul 2015, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Orfelius wrote:I kinda think that Forb is deliberately making a worse and worse quality maps to see if he can get away with it :wink:
I am quite literally having one of the shittiest days of my life today. I really hope this was a joke.

In case it wasn't I'll give you the short version. As many of you know I was a HUGE EE fan. I LOVED EE. Fang left and EE died. Evo copied a lot of design philosophy from EE. A lot of my best ideas originated in EE.

I had played AA for years before that, but a lot of the "features" in the spring engine made *A games actually less fun to play. Unit's blocking each others shots was one of them.

Later on (I'm skipping a lot of boring history here), knorke made a concept for some thing or another regarding hexes and features. I proposed that he made it into a cover gadget because DOW2 had cover for untis and it was a neat feature. Well knorke did some magic and made it happen, then I went in and edited his gadget to implement cover as it is in evo right now (Units gain cloak and stealth from feature clumps).

One of fangs biggest beefs with spring was the fact that ee urc bots lasers wouldn't aim through trees (this is before we had tags to control that). I always liked map features but realized that they generally cause a lot of gameplay issues in spring games. Therefore I came up with the current system to make features useful, utilitarian, but not gameplay obstructing.

Look, I make the maps for evo, but as I have shown multiple times, I like them to be accessible for other games too. If anarchid hadn't made sf a possibility in zkl then I wouldn't have bothered, cause all my maps use that dep. In this case a serious gameplay blocking issue has arisen. It doesn't affect evo at all, not in the slightest, but here I am, doing my best to come up with workarounds to make the map playable and fun so you zk and ba ppl can enjoy them too. It would be nice if you wouldn't make jerky statements like that. I put a lot of time and effort into my maps and as is the case with evo, I spend the time making it because it makes me happy when other people have fun using things I make. That is what I get out of this whole deal and that's my main motivation for making maps, or a game or whatever in spring. I also do a ton of open source work (stuff that is in line with my "day job") that I don't talk about here, for the exact same reason.

If it was just a joke, well, my apologies then. It reads a lot like a jab hidden inside a half hearted joke.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

v1.7 is up, Fixed footprints of energy spires and collision spheres. Needs Spring Features v1.5.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

v9 Uploaded, new mex layout:

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Forb would you do a version with anarchids volumetric fog shadding the depths instead of water? If i provide moodifryied shader?
Yes, i know - blue dust is not the same as water. But water totally clashess with the dessertness..

Also do you need black crystallian shards?

Also can summone please explain to me why we need to make the mapchecksum not over heightmap, typemap and metallmap only, and instead include texture so ssmf and old maps cant happily coexist?
Orfelius

Post by Orfelius »

Sorry :|
It was *partially* a joke as in I do understand that your couple of recent maps were made trough a different method and made it fun for you to make maps again. But I can't help but notice overall decrease in quality :\ that being said I do not think that you do it on purpose to annoy players of other games or what have you :-)

Also the new metal layout is much much better!

Picasso, you made me shoot myself in a foot after seeing a map from SC 2. Also instead of using volumetric fog (which is quite expensive performance wise) one could use engine fog (as much as it pains me to say it).
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

There's no need to modify the shader or the widget, just give it settings that you want.

Also dualfog might just work well enough.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

omg - this looks freaking amazing!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Orfelius wrote:Sorry :|
It was *partially* a joke as in I do understand that your couple of recent maps were made trough a different method and made it fun for you to make maps again. But I can't help but notice overall decrease in quality :\
Ok, you understand the point of what I am doing yes? These maps have better gameplay in evo than any maps in spring that I have tried (barring other similar maps, like banana valley, titan/duel, nuclear winter, etc). The point is that this method works.

Sc2 map editor is amazing, but as this map shows, we can do similar things with what we have that look pretty damn pimp too. The fact of the matter is that sc2 map design while I thought it was shit when I first started playing sc, I realized that it had a lot of merits. Combine that with the enhanced abilities that spring gives us and you end up with some pretty sweet possibilities.

And frankly, if you don't like this style of design, you can feel free to check out my other 250 some odd maps (I'm not exaggerating). I'm sure there are bound to be a few that suit your fancy.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Did Beherith ever finnish that wall of textured features? For this side could be looking nice if texture like a rockslide.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

PicassoCT wrote:Forb would you do a version with anarchids volumetric fog shadding the depths instead of water? If i provide moodifryied shader?
Yes, i know - blue dust is not the same as water. But water totally clashess with the dessertness..

Also do you need black crystallian shards?
Took me a while to remember that that map was blistering sands. I may use it for a template in the near future. Blistering sands was so terran favored (like steppes of war) it wasn't even funny, but it was GORGEOUS.

Lesbehonest... I'm not going to be able to make anything in spring look as sexy as sc2 stuff, but that said, it can still look good.

Picasso, yes and yes. That would be fantastic.

I would request enough variants of the shards that I can litter them around without them seeming repetitive.

I have another request too. I want some way to keep units within a defined play area (I.E. not going over the outside edges even if they are all terrain (that's why I've been using water)). Is that even possible?

It occurred to me that I could use voidwater, and apply super high damage to the water so that it instagibs anything that goes in it.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Bin there done that for black mescaline..
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Forboding Angel wrote:Edit: Hitdensity doesn't exist anymore -_- Who the fuck removed it? Sigh.
Never existed as a Spring tag.
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Searched the Wikki- there never was a hitdensity- there never will be a hitdensity. Everyone loves the great brother- down with oceania.

Okay Forb i take you on.. we make a sc2 map in quality. But with ssmf and everything. Also if you walk into the blizzard and catch a cold (aka tease and resist) i never knew you.

Forb can i have the exact rgb values of the sand where the spikes are going to be?
Attachments
FeaturingForb.7z
(5.56 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
NeedColourSampleOfSand.jpg
(58.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
smoth

Post by smoth »

PicassoCT wrote:Did Beherith ever finnish that wall of textured features? For this side could be looking nice if texture like a rockslide.
Nope.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

It's a fairly wide variance

but get somewhere around these values and you'll be close enough for it not to matter:

It looks really good!

Fwiw, I would like it if they were super tall :-)
qray

Post by qray »

Forboding Angel wrote: I have another request too. I want some way to keep units within a defined play area (I.E. not going over the outside edges even if they are all terrain (that's why I've been using water)). Is that even possible?

It occurred to me that I could use voidwater, and apply super high damage to the water so that it instagibs anything that goes in it.
You could also use terrain type: give the area where units shouldn't go a separate terrain and set movespeed for this terrain for all unit types to zero. This keeps all units effectively from going there (except planes obviously).
To deal with units that accidentally end up there -being pushed or thrown- or buildings being constructed there, you can use the gadget I made for Core Platform and Violet Rampart.
It would need some smaller adjustments (since it is using movecontrol so the unit falls down -below ground level- before exploding). You could destroy them instantly or let them slowly sink into the ground etc etc.
The gadget also keeps planes from landing on this terrain.

This way, you would not be limited to water areas (meaning one height level).
PicassoCT

Post by PicassoCT »

Its one huge s3o with all the features in it..
Splitting into seperate s3os to be done by forb
Attachments
forbsfeatures.7z
(78.46 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

Return to “Map Releases”