Desolation - Page 2

Desolation

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Anarchid

Re: Desolation

Post by Anarchid »

Last i checked, standalone FP didn't support non-randomized feature rotation, which was the killer feature i sought.
I've also tried smoth's secret featureplacer, and it didn't work there either.

My use case was this: i've made a set of 4 feature types designed especially to match my map, but when placed at the same rotation, they just looked way too repetitive.

With rotation, they don't look repetitive. Randomness was not to be compromised with because some of the features are directional and they were also designed to form modular agglomerates.

I've considered posting this to the other recent FP-related topic, but that seems to be about smath shifting blame around, which is of no interest to me.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

gajop wrote:Alright, good, we agree on that then. Those categories are definitely a start, but it would be a lot more powerful if I can make a brush out of it.
Is clustering and spread what you use for placing multiple features? I currently just have it hardcoded.
That sounds 100% sexy.
Orfelius

Post by Orfelius »

Mmm ok so I basically remade the whole map:

Desolation 0.2

• Islets have been removed.
  • Mex postions for mex fetcher for mods that uses them (like ZK or Evo) and there mex textures on diffuse as well.
  • Slightly different diffuse including not-poop-looking-hills-and-cliffs (hills were removed alltogether but whatever).
  • Fully funcional ramps so that bots cannot just climb everywhere they want (this took me a long time to do).

I think I will let it be played and see what can I change for the better on this map as well as adding skybox and features. Uh and I would have to make features myself since none of the present in Spring Features suit my map very well.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Anarchid wrote:Last i checked, standalone FP didn't support non-randomized feature rotation, which was the killer feature i sought.
I've also tried smoth's secret featureplacer, and it didn't work there either.
My feature placer is currently work in progress the old stand alone was killed after I came back to see forb release the internal one too early. FP is not my current priority.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Orfelius wrote:Mmm ok so I basically remade the whole map:
[*]Fully funcional ramps so that bots cannot just climb everywhere they want (this took me a long time to do).[/list][/b]

I think I will let it be played and see what can I change for the better on this map as well as adding skybox and features. Uh and I would have to make features myself since none of the present in Spring Features suit my map very well.
Much better imo. A vast improvement.

If you have photoshop, I can show you how to do the ramps stupidly easy and uniformly (can do the same in gimp, I mainly use a predefined selection area + gradient tool).

If you do make new features, please fork the spring features repo if you would be so kind and add them to it. That way everyone can use them and wars will be won, parades will be had, parties will be thrown, etc etc.

As weird as this is going to sound, I wish your sky wasn't so gloomy. I realize the name is desolation, but to me it looks like a desert on a rainy day, which is fine, but the gloomyness of it just seems off to me for some reason and i can't figure out why. That's pretty damn nitpicky though tbh.

tl;dr, fantastic improvement. Me likey.

Return to “Map Releases”