Meltwater

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Silentwings

Meltwater

Post by Silentwings »

New map!
SF: http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-maps/meltwater

16x16, an open plan water map for 2v2-8v8 games.

I made it to see how close I could to get to running water- snow melting on the mountain tops and water running into the main lake. Its not brilliant, but its not bad either, so here it is. It was made using World Machine.

edit: updated to v4, with much thanks to qray - see viewtopic.php?f=81&t=33570&p=570383#p570820 for more detailed screenshots.
Attachments
screen00459.png
(1.18 MiB) Not downloaded yet
qray

Re: Meltwater

Post by qray »

Very nice mountains :-)

I would guess that splat detail with a fitting pattern could really improve the water impression - and increase contrast to hill rock around.
Maybe combined with higher specularity where the water is ... and tiny blue and white particle CEGs where the water ends in the lake?!? (was recently thinking myself a bit on how to do waterfalls etc. but haven't played around yet - still occupied with updating my last map :wink:))
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

You could well be right - if you (or anyone else) wants to try it I'll happily make them masks of the flow map and the points at which the streams meet the lake.
qray

Post by qray »

Now that the update of my last map is finally finished I could give it a try.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Ok, here you are! http://springfiles.com/spring/other/mel ... masks-qray
Let me know if you need anything more.
qray

Post by qray »

Should be sufficient together with the stuff extractable from the smt.

Looking at the masks I was a bit surprised of how many flow lines actually are in the map.I expect that will require high res images and could change the look quite some.
Well, let's see what comes out :-)
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Ah, that's because the water flow is drawn and then the snow is placed/drawn on top. You might need a mask for the flowlines with the snowy areas removed from, let me know if so.
qray

Post by qray »

If you have a snow mask, it would be perfect to have. Then, also rocks and snow can get different detail textures :-)

Here a very first crude example of what I cooked up in the last half hour: a very simple first try at splat detail (textures, intensity and size will need quite a lot more adjusting, I guess). In addition a normal map from the provided pattern- which might be a tad too strong :wink:
Specular changes are not really visible.

For higher res: click on image

original
1st experimenting
close up
Attachments
close.jpg
(184.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
1st_experimenting.jpg
(233.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet
original.jpg
(289.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Ok, that looks awesome. It takes ~1h to build the texture on my big machine and I don't have access to it until later but I'll get you a snow mask then.
qray

Post by qray »

OK, downloaded. Will do something with it in the next days :-)
qray

Post by qray »

I uploaded the shading maps to http://springfiles.com/spring/other/mel ... ading-maps including the corresponding SMD file. Just extract into Meltwater's maps folder and it should work - well, SMD file needs renaming to fit map file names, I guess.
It contains splat detail (difference between materials), normalmap (emphasize water trenches/gorges), skyreflectmod (melt water flow shinyness) and a slightly adjusted specular map.

I have not done much with the CEGs for water spray so far, so they are still missing. But I thought, you might want to look at present status so you could report any problems and comment if you like it or if you want something changed

Credits: one splat detail texture is a standard from spring itself, the rest is from Beherith viewtopic.php?f=56&t=21565
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

inb4 animated water shadder using heightmapbuffer..
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Looks great to me, feel free to release a v2 of the map when you're finished!

Attachments
screen00465.png
(2.21 MiB) Not downloaded yet
screen00467.png
(3.44 MiB) Not downloaded yet
qray

Post by qray »

qray wrote:I have not done much with the CEGs for water spray so far, so they are still missing.
PicassoCT wrote:inb4 animated water shadder using heightmapbuffer..
CEGs are too much performance hit - I ended up with 1/3 FPS. There are just too many places where water flows into the lake. After noticing this, I didn't bother with optimizing the CEG design...
So some shader would probably be the way to go if one wanted to improve the flowing water impression. But that's so far unknown terrain to me :(
Silentwings wrote:Looks great to me, feel free to release a v2 of the map when you're finished!
Since you like it and I don't have any ideas for improvement, I consider the ssmf maps finished. It would feel weird if I would release your map since I just added a tiny bit of polish. So I would rather leave this to you :-)
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Uploaded v2 to Springfiles, with much thanks to qray.
qray

Post by qray »

Sorry for late notice - wasn't around much here the last few days.
Unfortunately, the V2 doesn't work for me: the SMD file is empty.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Ok, will look at it when I have time.

Split generic discussion of water to viewtopic.php?f=13&t=33655.
smoth

Post by smoth »

It would only be splashing at areas where the water is crashing down or over rocks. for the most part it looks like you used blue in your erosion paths and that looks like it is a sort of slow trickle as the water is flowing directly to the lake within your caldera/crater.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Needs a ice glacier to flow from into a fjord.. :)

Return to “Map Releases”