SevenIslandsMini-V7.3 - Page 2

SevenIslandsMini-V7.3

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

FabriceFABS

Re: SevenIslandsMini-V6.1

Post by FabriceFABS »

Okokok.... That's ok...
No matter.... that's all right, no more bothering... it's useless.

Well, with all your appreciated comments, I finally redo from start.
And real begin, from the TA map, not from the V95 SevenIslands Springmap.
It's quite difficult...

A++...
qray

Post by qray »

Had a game on the current version yesterday: lots of fun! :-)
Looking forward to the update (*)

(*) not rushing you!
FabriceFABS

SevenIslandsMini-V7.1

Post by FabriceFABS »

Np, it's nice qray.

V7.1 is ready on SpringFiles.
http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-ma ... smini-v7.1

This work was really hard, I started from scratch.
It took me to customize copy-conformity of this ancient map from TA and it was much more difficult (as map designer like me) than creating a map where free is his imagination.
Spend a few days, maybe you like it or not.... Anyway thank you kindly tell me if you see bugs or improvements to make instead of telling me it is vomiting :wink: because it means nothing.

Thank you, Have fun.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

You seem to have shadows and water reflections etc, so you should be able to use advmapshading.

What i'm saying is that you really really should try adding an uneven specular texture to your map, even at least just based on luminosity of your diffuse texture.

This will make the metal actually look metallic.

I would say that you don't really have to copy the old map with its asymmetric islands... remember that there was no zoom in OTA. The islands might look ok and varied at close zoom level but when you look at them from a zoomed out map-wide perspective they just don't fit together, lacking any global or local symmetry.
FabriceFABS

Post by FabriceFABS »

Anarchid wrote:You seem to have shadows and water reflections etc, so you should be able to use advmapshading.

What i'm saying is that you really really should try adding an uneven specular texture to your map, even at least just based on luminosity of your diffuse texture.

This will make the metal actually look metallic.
True, this mettalic effect is so nice.
OK... I tried it on previous versions but I should work more to avoid too much smooth on isles.
But before this, I should checkout this asymetric islands to avoid remaking this task again.
Anarchid wrote:I would say that you don't really have to copy the old map with its asymmetric islands...
Yes ok.
It's asymmetric but is it so a problem (I think I don't see exactly what you mean) ?
I did horiz/vert flip with shaders...
Anarchid wrote:remember that there was no zoom in OTA. The islands might look ok and varied at close zoom level but when you look at them from a zoomed out map-wide perspective they just don't fit together, lacking any global or local symmetry.
Well, They should be placed like poles on a compass and then, adding a 8th isle ? Maybe is it that ?

Another question :
How to remove the possibility to set manually extraction radius ?
The setting in the file is not considered.
I tried to remove not in 70_extractorradius.lua, this works but prefer a nicer job >> removing the button.
I know a little bit LUA but I don't want to do some «dirty» job.
qray

Post by qray »

Your work wasn't wasted. Much better now and much closer to OTA :-)
FabriceFABS wrote: Another question :
How to remove the possibility to set manually extraction radius ?
The setting in the file is not considered.
I tried to remove not in 70_extractorradius.lua, this works but prefer a nicer job >> removing the button.
I know a little bit LUA but I don't want to do some «dirty» job.
1) In "mapoptions.lua" remove the part

Code: Select all

{
		key     = 'extractorradius',
		name    = 'Extractor Radius',
		desc    = 'Sets the metal extractor radius',
		type    = 'number',
		section = 'Economy',
		def     = 100,
		min     = 1,
		max     = 10000,
		step    = 1,
	},
That removes the option from being displayed in the lobby.
2) Then delete "70_extractorradius.lua" - as you have already tried. This avoids that the number from "mapinfo.lua" is being changed.

IMHO, nothing against a similar map with different island layout (one could maybe also think of different diffuse textures then). But for a remake -as is the initial goal of this project- I think the layout is a given. And it's nice to see some "originals" from TA ported to spring; brings back memories :wink:. Just my 2 cents...

I still think the green in the metal display (via "F4") could still be toned down more as I suggested before:
qray wrote: Suggestion: you could turn the color values of your metal map down (make it darker) and increase metal values in the mapinfo.
+1 for adding a bit of specularity to add a bit of eye candy to the traditional metal style :-)
FabriceFABS

Post by FabriceFABS »

You finally find the best way for me to finish this never-ending project, why not doing a (much) modern map style later.
Suggestion: you could turn the color values of your metal map down (make it darker) and increase metal values in the mapinfo.
Well I listened you and I tried. However, I had some difficulties to make it correct.
As I remember it, due to "binaries" results when I press F4 (I mean for instance if metal color on the map is <128/255 it's ok on pressing F4, green is quite dark but if metal color > 128/255 => Too shiny (and same shiny color up to 255).
Gonna rework it to retry.

Done for Radius too :) Thx
Currently working on little specular & metal F4 color...

Later... :-)
FabriceFABS

Re: SevenIslandsMini-V7.2

Post by FabriceFABS »

Done.

Final release SevenIslandsMini-V7.2

Qray, I tried as I can for F4 metal issue...
Added little specular !
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

Looks good, well done!
qray

Post by qray »

FabriceFABS wrote: Qray, I tried as I can for F4 metal issue...
Just to illustrate what I had in mind, here a "F4" metal view; top uses a metal map with metal color tuned down by about a factor of 4 (see attachment *) compared to the bottom part of the image which is from the current version 7.2:
This makes it IMHO more easy in-game to place extractors as the rest is better visible.

A problem with the darkened metal image I used is, that when turning color values so much down you loose "resolution" between the two different metal income values. I tried with a setting of "maxMetal = 98.00" in mapinfo.lua, which at least gives the wanted values of 2.30 and 2.50 when looking at income of a working mex. But when placing them, tooltip shows 2.25 on land and 2.55 in water. I don't know if the rounding happens only in the displaying widget of the income or in BA economy itself.
Obviously this idea works better, when only one metal income value is used on a map :wink:

But the metal display thing is only minor, I just wanted to illustrate what I meant.
The map remake works already good as it is :-)

* tuned down metal map used for upper image:
sevenislands_Metal.png
(3.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Attachments
metal_compare.jpg
metal_compare.jpg (27.53 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

This map is nice, we just played it with XTA.

But water is too shallow. It's 45 deep everywhere and it's not enough to make underwater stuff stay under the water surface, or to build larger ships. Maybe other mods have smaller things or how does it work on them?
qray

Post by qray »

In BA it works and all ships can move (though the adv. metal extractor just reaches a bit above the water surface).

Just out of interest: How much water deepness would XTA need? If it is not too much, maybe the minheight and maxheight values in mapinfo could be adjusted?
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

It needs 50 for the larger ships, but maybe that should be adjusted instead, as many maps have "too shallow" water. Is 45 the water level in OTA?
FabriceFABS

Post by FabriceFABS »

Thank you !

- New version 7.3,
- New water depth : 60,
- New F4 metal map less shiny,
- New metal extraction (impossible to do better fix than original) : 2,3 / 2,6.

(Will be apply later tonight to its big map's sister or tomorrow)

:-)
qray

Post by qray »

Cool 8)
Thanks for the update :!:
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Nice, thanks for the update. I really like how it looks metallic now.
FabriceFABS

Post by FabriceFABS »

:wink:

Return to “Map Releases”