Gornhole

Gornhole

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

qray

Gornhole

Post by qray »

Don't know why, but during working on the last map somehow the idea popped into my head to make an blue/orange map like from a bad 60ties SF B-movie or series.
Since I didn't manage to get it out of my head:

First try was blue hills with orange plane, but this gave a too high contrast.

Admittingly, the layout is not blessed by tremendous creativity and somehow came out as an amalgamation between Comet Catcher and Painted Desert.
Size is 16x18. But since the sea is acid (50 damage to slowly eat units), playable area is about13x15.

Map options for daytime+fog, as well as metal and wind. Includes the fog widget to make a slight fume mist over the acid sea (by default disabled in map options to avoid low FPS on slow systems).

Download and a few more details on springfiles

EDIT: had to update with a new version V1.1 since V1.0 had sync problems... somehow I seem to have a knack for this :wink:

Credits:
Features by Lathan, skyboxes and some detail texes from Smoth and Beherith. Scipts based on offical map blueprint container by jK.
Attachments
gornhole.jpg
(112.94 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Gornhole

Post by Forboding Angel »

It makes no sense whatsoever, but I like it.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

qray wrote:Don't know why, but during working on the last map somehow the idea popped into my head to make an blue/orange map like from a bad 60ties SF B-movie or series.
Since I didn't manage to get it out of my head:
I like this.
qray

Post by qray »

Forboding Angel wrote:It makes no sense whatsoever...
Goal reached: old SciFi B movies mostly don't make much sense either :wink:

Since my friends comments were all along the lines of "plays OK, but I get eye cancer from looking at it", I have started on a toned down texturing with less saturation and a bit less brightness (as well as a new splat texture for the ground; the "waves" were probably not a very good choice).
But I have not found yet a setting that I could agree on. Seems that while staring at it for hours during making, the bright colors grew so much on me that I lost even the last bit of objectivity :shock:
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Isn't that what they call Technicolor?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

orange and blue-türkis go together... they complement each other well...

Its sad that many people are oppossed to non-mono colourschemeing palletts

Have you tried making the hills deep blue.. or bright white.. a ice planet.. or some dark black blue..
https://color.adobe.com/de/create/color ... =0,1,2,3,4
qray

Post by qray »

PicassoCT wrote:orange and blue-türkis go together... they complement each other well...

Its sad that many people are oppossed to non-mono colourschemeing palletts
Right you are! I will ignore my ignorant monochromatic friends :wink: This map is simply not for everyone.
And the next one in the line will anyway be again more conventional, color-wise.
PicassoCT wrote:Have you tried making the hills deep blue..
Actually I did in the making. When switching orange and blue, there was an intermediate version with light blue ground and deep blue hills. I didn't make screenshots but it sounds better than it looked. To be honest, I didn't do any adjustments on the deep blue, so probably I could have improved it.
Other coloring schemes I did not try...

BTW: the long link breaks the forum layout. Can't find the quote button on your post :-)
code_man

Post by code_man »

Groovy.
qray

Post by qray »

New version on springfiles Gornhole 1.5

Updates:
-new optics: less colourful, changes on splat detail and inclusion of normalmap
-includes now Anarchid's Volumetric Clouds shader widget
-map option to set water damage; default now 17, setting from 0 to instant death
-normal fog over acid sea now on by default

After a while, the bright colours of the previous version could induce headaches :shock: , so here's now a toned down version.
Back when I had the initial idea, I already wished for something like Anarchid's volumetric clouds to have acid sea fumes drifting over the plane. But back then it was not yet invented. Now it's of course in. Also water damage toned down (and as map option) to make hovers usable if played with care (they die slowly in the green sea).

Since I saw in the ZK forums, that they argued about the acid water, and I included water damage in the map options anyway, it now makes no damage when ZK is detected. Though after reading "This being acid though is just a final straw on top of being intentionally ugly in both name and look." in their forum, I guess they will probably not play it anyway :wink:

Previous version still available for the LSD colour scheme lovers 8) under the link in first post.
Attachments
gh_v1.5_012.jpg
(87.24 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Map Releases”