Violet Rampart - Page 2

Violet Rampart

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Anarchid

Re: Violet Rampart

Post by Anarchid »

I have run into this blocky transparency issue before. It seems that it completely ignores transparency channel when deciding which blocks to compress (e.g. if you ever have one that contains a non-transparent bit and a transparent bit, those would be treated equal if they have the other color channels match). This is fairly typical if your transparency areas don't perfectly sync with the tilegrid.

Not only this leads to blockiness, but in above case, sometimes the non-fully-transparent tile can infect all other tiles with its not complete transparency, leading to much unpleasantness.

I would be approximately this much happy if it was corrected: Math.HUGE
qray

Post by qray »

Updated to version 1.2.
Included voidground gadget from core platform. Added new metal map option that places spots instead of flat metal distribution(*). Added some geovents (since there's no wind it seemed right). Tinkered a bit with the looks.

(*) Inspiration and some lines of code for metal spot option from map Emerald by Bluestone.

Detailed changelog:
[list]
[*]Added a geovent in every base
[*]Added map option to have metal spots instead of flat metal distribution
[*]Flat metal distribution less bright in metal view
[*]Slight income increase for "Metal" option (1.9 -> 2.0)
[*]Modified terrain map to keep (all terrain) units from wandering into the void
[*]Gadget that takes care of units that nevertheless manage to do so (needs spring > 96): they get thrown down and destroyed
[*]New minimap image
[*]Added normalmap
[*]Small changes to terrain, lightning, diffuse texture, specular and splat details
[*]Fixed small errors in map scripts, deleted unnecessary files[/list]
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Umm this should be obvious... but don't use compression in mapconv, it doesn't net you any positive result.
qray

Post by qray »

Forboding Angel wrote:Umm this should be obvious... but don't use compression in mapconv, it doesn't net you any positive result.
Sorry, I don't get what you mean :oops:

I used the best quality settings as recommended in the wiki:

Code: Select all

MapConv.exe -i -c 0 -x 330 -n -10 -o Violet_Rampartv12.smf -t diffuse.png -a height2.raw  -m metal_12.png  -y terrain.png -z "nvdxt.exe -dxt1a -nmips 4 -Sinc -quality_highest -file"
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

ok nm you're doing it right. I was under the impression you were trying to use mapconv's awful compression.
qray

Post by qray »

@Forb: After a bit time to think, I guess you were referring to the problem with voidground?!
Writing my last post I was wondering "how does he come up with mapconv compression from looking at the new release" totally forgetting about the rest of the thread :wink: :lol:
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

I took the liberty of doing some minor fixes and improvements to this map: https://springfiles.com/spring/spring-m ... -rampart-0

- Added a ZK metal config
- Added ZK startbox config
- Blocked ZK terraform in the void
- Marked mexes with crystal rings
- Fixed metal raster generation when modoption value was nil

Return to “Map Releases”