Hohenheim - Page 2

Hohenheim

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Hohenheim

Post by Forboding Angel »

I'd like to point out that the texture is beautiful; I really really like it. When finished, it's going to be fan frigging tastic.

Umm, you should pick one of my maps and take the MapInfo.Lua from it as a base. The default blueprint settings suck, and using one of mine will give you a nice basis to make your own adjustments.

The mapinfo from evorts glacier pass v12 would probably be the best, if memory serves.

For that matter, an alternate good practice is to take an existing blueprint map that you love/like, and gut it of content and supplant your own.

In my evo maps I have s lot of great detail textures perfect for green map splatting. Feel free to take whatever you need from any of them... That's what they're there for :-)
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

Forboding Angel wrote:The default engine settings suck
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

V2 is done
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

jK wrote:
Forboding Angel wrote:The default engine settings suck
You could change this by setting default blueprint values to non-suckage.

Edit: Speaking of which - https://github.com/jk3064/Map-Blueprint/issues/3
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Cheesecan wrote:V2 is done

Much improved. However, you are trying to use the alpha channel as a 4th splatted texture. It doesn't work that way. The alpha channel as a splatted texture will always look pretty terrible as there is no real control over it because it is overlaid across the other textures. This leads to extreme noise in your map. Generally best practice is to have a solid color on the alpha channel and on your distribution map, don't leave any parts black. Remember that any part of your distribution map that isn't full 255 will have whatever is on the alpha channel overlaid on it. It's kinda funky, but it a weird way, it makes sense.

I'm sure there is a better and more exact way to describe it, but that's all I have.

Also, you have voidwater set to true. Make sure that it is set to false.

There is some pretty visible tiling on the grass areas. Perhaps use another grass texture where the tiling is less obvious?

I like the features! They look really good!

I'm liking what you've done with the texture. I think you might want to set the ground ambient color a bit brighter, as at the moment it's pretty dark.

Looking better and better!
smoth

Post by smoth »

Forboding Angel wrote:Much improved. However, you are trying to use the alpha channel as a 4th splatted texture. It doesn't work that way. The alpha channel as a splatted texture will always look pretty terrible as there is no real control over it because it is overlaid across the other textures.
I disagree.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

smoth wrote:
Forboding Angel wrote:Much improved. However, you are trying to use the alpha channel as a 4th splatted texture. It doesn't work that way. The alpha channel as a splatted texture will always look pretty terrible as there is no real control over it because it is overlaid across the other textures.
I disagree.
Same here I use the alpha channel with no problems.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Did you bother to open his map to see how he was using it? I did.

Alpha channel doesn't get it's own scale and mult.

Well, I suppose technically it does, but messing with it will affect every texture in the splattex.
smoth

Post by smoth »

alpha works fine.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

@cheese

Let me try to explain it in plain terms. It's tough for me to explain because I have trouble knowing what words to use, but I'll give it a shot (thanks smoth)...

Basically, it's like this. Your distribution map has an alpha channel. Instead of drawing on that alpha channel and correlating it with the alpha channel on your splat tex, you simply left areas of your distribution map flat black. That isn't the same as painting on the alpha channel.

If you don't see the alpha channel, you need to add it (otherwise OpenGL will just assume that the alpha channel is 1 (full 255) all over), and then paint the areas where you want the alpha texture to be shown on the alpha channel of the distribution map.

Hopefully that was easy enough to follow. Smoth had to illustrate it for me using pretty pictures and small words before I could put it into a coherent. In my head I knew it, but didn't know how to say what I was thinking.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Hm not on pc so I can't check. Now that you mention it though yeah the alpha channel black ruins the other channels. I guess it needs to be transparent instead where it is currently black. If that is possible.

Voidwater true? it has water.. just very low absorb?

Ps. Thanks forb you are a resource to this community.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Cheesecan wrote: it needs to be transparent instead where it is currently black. If that is possible.
the opposite.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Cheesecan wrote:Voidwater true? it has water.. just very low absorb?
I think that was my bad... I went and checked it again and it is set to false. I'm not sure what bus stop my brain got off at, but it wasn't the right one. Sorry about that.

That said, the water isn't rendering for me. I'll have a go at it tomorrow and see if I can figure out why. Weird though, it's acting like voidwater is set to true. How strange O_o

& Thanks :-)
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

smoth wrote:
Cheesecan wrote: it needs to be transparent instead where it is currently black. If that is possible.
the opposite.
But if I don't want the alpha detail all over the map? I just need a fourth splat channel not an alpha per se.

Forb: water renders on me on every setting except dynamic. But iirc dynamic never worked on any map for me on gtx560.
smoth

Post by smoth »

you would need an alpha splat with it all at full black and WHITE where you want the alpha texture splat applied.

which means alpha would be solid where your detail map is currently black and the alpha is transparent for the rest of the image.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

What you described sounds a lot like what I did.

It's a rgba world..
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

Cheesecan wrote:automatically", three days later still cannot find my map on any host.
I remember this frustration well.

Always found the hunterw method was good, to host your own battle with your new map and spam main... might take a while, but first you'll get a few testers in for a small game, and then when that game is over, you'll find 18 people in the lobby waiting for your next battle

or have Beherith produce the map for you, it's like featuring Tupac in your debut rap album, people will try it even though it's garbage (check out my maps). your map is now diamonds

anyways your product is good, keep at it mate
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

KaiserJ wrote: or have Beherith produce the map for you, it's like featuring Tupac in your debut rap album, people will try it even though it's garbage (check out my maps). your map is now diamonds
Love this anology :mrgreen:

Might host it when I get these two of my back for violating the laws of ssmf mapping. (no really just kidding smoth, forb, you are very helpful).

Forb now that I got home from work, I think I see what you were trying to explain (but don't quit your day job to become a teacher) - the splat map was missing an alpha layer so shit was bleeding out elsewhere like pigs blood on a bar mitzvah.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Cheesecan wrote:What you described sounds a lot like what I did.
You didn't. I looked into the files for forb.

Your entire map is alpha 1. That is, say a black pixel is 0,0,0,1.

until you add a proper alpha channel, you cannot assign transparency in order to limit the application of your alpha splat
Cheesecan wrote:It's a rgba world..
Nope your splat map was just RGB.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Cheesecan wrote: Forb now that I got home from work, I think I see what you were trying to explain (but don't quit your day job to become a teacher) - the splat map was missing an alpha layer so shit was bleeding out elsewhere like pigs blood on a bar mitzvah.
/\
|
|
smoth wrote: until you add a proper alpha channel, you cannot assign transparency in order to limit the application of your alpha splat
Cheesecan wrote:It's a rgba world..
Nope your splat map was just RGB.

Return to “Map Releases”