Re: Hohenheim

Post by smoth »

very fucking nice.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

No ssmf -_-

Seriously, it would be amazing, but as it is it's just "nice". Adding detail tex splatting and normal map would instantly make it 100x better.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Forboding Angel wrote:No ssmf -_-

Seriously, it would be amazing, but as it is it's just "nice". Adding detail tex splatting and normal map would instantly make it 100x better.
You're welcome to try and make it better. It has detail tex splatting already.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I tried it and a few things, seems very flat for the lighting suggested by the top down. and yeah the ssmf could use some work.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Ok..back to redoing everything from start then.
smoth

Post by smoth »

why? all it needs are some height tweaks and splat tweaks
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Ok let's see..

I'll try to adjust height without breaking the river crossings..that should be do-able now that they work.

Generate normal map with this gimp tool I found in wiki.

Freely borrow some textures from the intertubes to use in the splatdetailtex.

Splatmap..The result I got each time was tiled textures even though they were supposedly seamless on their own. I think each channel has to be 100% since any "blend" will result in a tiled texture. So i'll try to avoid that now.
smoth

Post by smoth »

steal splat textures from behe and I. We won't fuss honestly.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

I think I tried that before.. I wanted to be unique now...

(looks even worse close up)
:(
smoth

Post by smoth »

Looks like your splat scale settings are bad.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

How many % of white should each splat channel have? 50% i.e. gray?
smoth

Post by smoth »

You misunderstand. the splat texture just determines the texture application. it is a transparency mask. Scale has NOTHING to do with the channel color
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

Didn't see this yet, and although I haven't played it or seen it ingame, I like the layout. Should make for some interesting battles. GJ
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

smoth: I know it's a transparency mask. At 100% opacity even with 1024x1024 textures, the ground looks tiled. I tried applying a layer of perlin noise above it but it still looks like a man-made pattern.

KaiserJ: I asked some bot owners(the ones I could even find) to add it, got the answer "our maps are retrieved from springfiles automatically", three days later still cannot find my map on any host.

Anyway now it's about completing it for myself. People never play my maps. The only difference now is they couldn't even if they wanted to.
smoth

Post by smoth »

You have to break up your splatting and use better splat scale settings. Look at the images from my maps. I ad a BUNCH of noise to them
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Ok, I've taken a closer look, and you're doing it so wrong that it hurts. Is ok though, no big deal. Easy to rectify. The map itself is gorgeous, but the lack of proper finishing touches really hurt it.

If you want my help I will happily help. However, your statement seemed to be sarcasm, so not sure what to do.

Would you like me to give you a hand?

Edit: Decided to have a look at a few things.

It seems as though you rendered this texture with a heightmap range of about 1000 (give or take), because at that height, the terrain and texture start to make sense.

You also rendered it with baked in shadows (not good).

Your procedure is not good and requires you to redo a ton of work if you don't nail it on the first time. Please have a look at my instructions here: http://springrts.com/wiki/User:Forboding_angel

Using that method will allow you to change everything dynamically (barring the texture and heightmap). Metal layout does not need to be baked in an can be done very easily with lua metal maps. You just use a widget to mark where you want the spots to be and it spits it out into a file.

Your passes on the heightmap are pretty unrealistic and don't really make sense. It looks like you used a gradient tool in photoshop without actually paying attention to what was going on.

Your shadows don't make sense at all (in these screens I've jacked the height up to 1k, because honestly the texture didn't make much sense to me until I got it that high):
First we have this:

And then, using the exact same angle, we have this:

The only logical way for this to happen would be for the sun to be pretty close to the surface of the planet, and perfectly directly overhead. In other words, you seem to be using a spotlight lighting source that is very close to the surface of the map. Sun-lighting doesn't work like a spotlight, and so if you're using a spotlight as a lighting source, it can make things look really strange.

Don't bake shadows in, only bake in the shading (you don't need to do this even, but you can).

Please use blueprint for this. You will save yourself so much time and trouble it isn't even funny. Also, don't compile geovents into the map. Use lua to place them. Feature and metal maps should ideally be flat black and blank, because there is no real need for them to be compiled into the map.

Anyway, that's after I spent 15 minutes or so looking at it. It's very neat, just needs some loving :-)

WRT waterways, have a look at this heightmap:

See how the passes are so faint as to be barely perceptible? You don't have to do them this way, but it is by far the easiest way and the most natural looking.
Last edited by Forboding Angel on 05 Mar 2013, 07:53, edited 4 times in total.
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

Cheesecan wrote:smoth: I know it's a transparency mask. At 100% opacity even with 1024x1024 textures, the ground looks tiled. I tried applying a layer of perlin noise above it but it still looks like a man-made pattern.

KaiserJ: I asked some bot owners(the ones I could even find) to add it, got the answer "our maps are retrieved from springfiles automatically", three days later still cannot find my map on any host.

Anyway now it's about completing it for myself. People never play my maps. The only difference now is they couldn't even if they wanted to.
Vbs already tried to switch to this map but for some reason the bot didnt have it yet. I'm sure we will play this map on [x]thehost when it is finished. Heard multiple people about it.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Forb thanks for taking your time as well. I'm convinced by what you have said. Looking at blueprint right now and it seems simple enough to use. This map needs a 'Do it again, get it right'. Thanks for the offer with direct help but I'd rather try and fail at least once more.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

I didnt see it ingame yet but yeah, looks nice so far! I would be happy to add it to the regular rotation at xhost if it turns out well.

Btw map is available by now at xhost.

Code: Select all

[18:20:03] <[x]TheHost> ********** Available maps for current map list (filter: "hohen") **********
[18:20:03] <[x]TheHost> 738. Hohenheim-v1
[18:20:03] <[x]TheHost> ******************** End of map list ********************

Return to “Map Releases”