Icy Sea

Icy Sea

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: Icy Sea

Post by smoth »

shadows could be stronger is my only critique at the moment.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

looks spiffy!
==Troy==

Post by ==Troy== »

Wasnt there a map identical to this already? iirc TM made it, and it was basically started from DSD.
knorke

Post by knorke »

[f=0000000] Error: gl.CreateList: error(2) = [string "LuaUI/Widgets/luametalspots-v4.lua"]:70: attempt to get length of local 'mSpots' (a nil value)
the above

Post by the above »

==Troy== wrote:Wasnt there a map identical to this already? iirc TM made it, and it was basically started from DSD.
Yeah both are round islands but they're totally different in the way they play.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Hm yeah that's true I guess shadows would be elongated near the poles.

knorke it seems there was a missing else clause that would cause it to try and create the display list even if Niobium's metal finder isn't present :o or why I shouldn't write code at 4am in the morning.
I recommend you install Niobium's metal finder if your new game uses metal patches. If I release a v3 I will fix this error though it's not critical thanks.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

The poles should have no shadows, since the sun rises and sets only once a year there. Therefore, it's impossible that both poles could have sunlight simultaneously.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Jools wrote:The poles should have no shadows, since the sun rises and sets only once a year there. Therefore, it's impossible that both poles could have sunlight simultaneously.
the sun is 1 light source... there will be shadows.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Jools wrote:The poles should have no shadows, since the sun rises and sets only once a year there. Therefore, it's impossible that both poles could have sunlight simultaneously.
It is indeed so. From what I understand(I have not had the pleasure to visit such an exciting place yet), it's constant sun half the year then darkness the other half. Here's how it looks during the light half:
http://antarcticsun.usap.gov/features/i ... w_pole.jpg
So smoth is right too.

Anyway I think I will be releasing v3 after all, the area on the edge is overpowered since it cannot be reached by amphibious units, which leads to some pretty lame LRPC standoffs that I don't particularly like.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Cheesecan wrote:Anyway I think I will be releasing v3 after all, the area on the edge is overpowered since it cannot be reached by amphibious units, which leads to some pretty lame LRPC standoffs that I don't particularly like.
It's still easy to transport units to some part of the ice by air, and strike by ground that way. Or missile ships, etc etc.

And why does poles having shadows even matter, who says this isn't on an ice planets equator just as well?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Unless a unit is solid light there will be shadows. Maybe pale ones due to light bouncing off objects or atmosphere. Or perhaps several different ones but always shadows, the statement that there are no shadows at the poles is hilarious.

Return to “Map Releases”