Gantelope, a remake of narrow valley

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

I told you I would do it homage zorbawic!

http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-maps/gantelope

MY MAPS THEY LOVE TO YOU BARON! I AM NOT THE BARON!
Beherith

Re: Gantelope, a remake of narrow valley

Post by Beherith »

Merry xmas to you too! Amazing work, as always :)
Would you mind sharing the .tmd file, or is it on your svn?
smoth

Post by smoth »

SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Now, this looks like a game I say!
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

(Rather than reply to your question in the other thread, I'm doing so here.) I don't know if my feedback is at all useful, because I played BA on this map. I assumed any issues I had were because the map was designed for GRTS. (Btw, I would try GRTS, and, well, just about every other polished game, but it's too shiny for my GPU. The last time I tried playing it I think my framerates were unplayably low. Sigh.)

The pathfinding and movement for BA units up and down the mountain ramps is horrible. The ramps do allow vehicle movement, but seem to be so skinny that I had to baby units up them with many waypoints--and even then sometimes they would just turn back. Kbots have an easier time, but there are all sorts of places where they can go that I would not have expected from the visual language of the map. If you want to resolve issues for BA, I'll give you some more specific information, but I don't know that you really want to try to make your map playable for every game. If it works well for GRTS, awesome.

Despite the issues above, it was highly entertaining to rain artillery death from the central hills, and then lose.

I'm curious, do you often make maps with such huge terrain relief because you enjoy them, or because something specific to GRTS takes strategic advantage of really high terrain?
smoth

Post by smoth »

zoggop wrote:The pathfinding and movement for BA units up and down the mountain ramps is horrible. The ramps do allow vehicle movement, but seem to be so skinny that I had to baby units up them with many waypoints--and even then sometimes they would just turn back.
can you take a few shots of areas you found vehicles to have issue? or can you mark them on the picture from the top of the thread(the top down one)?
zoggop wrote: Kbots have an easier time, but there are all sorts of places where they can go that I would not have expected from the visual language of the map. If you want to resolve issues for BA, I'll give you some more specific information, but I don't know that you really want to try to make your map playable for every game. If it works well for GRTS, awesome.
it works fine for grts but I am not opposed to suggestions, just don't be upset if I don't opt to do them.
zoggop wrote: I'm curious, do you often make maps with such huge terrain relief because you enjoy them, or because something specific to GRTS takes strategic advantage of really high terrain?
I think they are more interesting and yes GRTS makes use of the high terrain. Units in GRTS have very long ranges(when compared to rank and file ba) I also like terrain to have reasonably tall hills. Partly because I am a huge fan of the rockies. Also few maps in spring really do the tall terrain thing.
zoggop

Post by zoggop »

Pathfinding seems to have improved with 85 / BA 7.63. Or maybe I was just crazy? In any case, there are a few problems, but I may have err overblown them a bit. The most problematic ramps are the ones leading from the ground to the first tier.
This northern ramp, it takes units two or sometimes three tries to figure out which way to go up it properly.

The southern ramp is less problematic, though still the units will sometimes try going a direct route (straight up the cliff) if simply told to go the top of the ramp. The real problem is sending groups of units up the ramp--they'll get jammed up and some will just cancel their move orders. But that's more of an engine/game problem. Unless you want to make the ramps much wider, which might look kind of funny on this map.

You probably know this, but 7 metal per spot is mad!

A little glitch in the metal map.
knorke

Post by knorke »

was surprised that vehicles could actually go up those hills:
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

Had a few S'44 games on this map. Vehicles behave very similar to what zoggop wrote, namely they are unlikely to find the way up the ramp on their own. I even thought tanks can't go up there at all and was later very surprised to find Godde's armor killing my forces on the hill :) Otherwise map worked great, if a bit income-heavy with S'44 resource system.

Pathing problems must be an engine thing.
smoth

Post by smoth »

http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-maps/gantelope-0
version 5

fixed metal spot size
fixed metal spot output
made lower ramps wider, made lower ramps less steep.

Return to “Map Releases”