Post by smoth »

you guys know the map;

go play it...

merry xmas and all that

http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-maps/river-mouth
Beherith

Re: River mouth, an Oki River remake

Post by Beherith »

Really epic work on the two layered blending of the sand dunes and the amazing specular texture. Did you know the specular exponent is controlled by the alpha channel of the specular texture?
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Awesome! When I get home from work, I'll throw this and Gantelope into PW map rotation, unless someone else beats me to them.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Beherith wrote:Really epic work on the two layered blending of the sand dunes and the amazing specular texture. Did you know the specular exponent is controlled by the alpha channel of the specular texture?
didn't know that but I omit the alpha and just do a darker one to save the space that the alpha would have used up
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

The mexes on this map are a bit annoying. A few extractors are required to cover each spot and by default they all have massive metal output.
Rafal99

Post by Rafal99 »

What Google_Frog said.
We had a ZK game on this map and after a while it felt like speedmetal. We couldn't keep with making E and buildpower to use all the metal, even though we had only on small portion of the map covered with mexes.
And mex range needs to be increased to fit the size of the metalspot.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Ok, so what SHOULD it be producing?

lower the values or lower the spot count? which one?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

About 2.3 income should be fine as the spot density for this map is quite standard. The main problem is spot size because it cannot be fixed by a metal multiplier.

Many grts metalmaps have problems with ZK, would you be interested in fixning them?
smoth

Post by smoth »

gundam doesn't use metal spots.. so if I put them on the maps it is a best guess as a courtesy. if you guys need different mex spots then yes you should definitely comment.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

I'd prefer it if you just made the spots simple blobs, the crosshairs and whatnot look nice, but they often result in multiple flags placed in S44. <3
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

smoth maps have a long history of looking nice but being unplayable, which is a shame since it takes all of a few minutes to find and emulate the average metal income per spot/metal spots per player/standard metal spot size/standard extractor radius of standard *A maps
smoth

Post by smoth »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:smoth maps have a long history of looking nice but being unplayable, which is a shame since it takes all of a few minutes to find and emulate
smoth doesn't know, smoth asks for metal spot and feedback, smoth doesn't get, smoth moves on...

plays fine in gundam...

just saying, I will impliment spots if you guys give them to me.. the old desert valley and the gunmetal harbor maps both use stuff from the community.

so yeah, post metal spots and I will add them. it REALLY is no trouble for me to add the spots.

What I do want:
- someone to suggest a very vanilla metal radius and output number to reach.
- If it comes down to a ba/zk difference, will lean MORE towards what ZK needs rather than BA, ba has 1000s of maps.

What I don't want:
- people egotripping and cockfighting over who's spot layout is the best
- people suggesting experiments because they want to see what will happen. try that with a shitty looking map please.
knorke

Post by knorke »

I think anyone on this forum including you has played his share of TA/BA/*A to come up with a metallayout that is not totally off ;)
Just make spots the size/number/shape/amount of metal like on all the other maps.
That works for BA and other games that use metalspots are made to work with BA-maps anyway. Dunno how ba and zk need different metallayouts, they are played on the same maps. If there are differences at all, they are small.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Ok. How many players?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Just saying if there is a difference I will lean towards ZK.

I dunno knorke, I like spots being different and interesting. which is why I do unusual metal layouts.. but since people apparently want something not that, I stopped caring and just ask.

One important thing is sense of scale. Gundam has a different feel with weapon ranges and move speeds maps are MUCH smaller.. so since I primarily play the maps with gundam the feel smaller and thus my spots are too spaced out (as was the complaint with cooked well).

I do multiple spots, as in clusters of 3 because that is what forb does and has done so for years. So I was emulating him. I did singular spots and people raged at me about it with gunmetal.

Then again they raged about an "urban map" with high metal values in the buildings.. again no sweat off my balls, next version will have very low to no metal in ALL THE FEATURES. Because lol.

So I guess the problem is this:
- People do not agree on metal spots, even though the three spot thing is pretty standard people complained.
- When I did it different 1 large spot, they complained.
- people talk a great deal about wanting urban maps like in TA but really they want 0 values in features.
- the metal spots do not effect gundam so I don't really care but put them there as a sort of compromise to the *A community. With a full willingness to accept whatever changes they want to the metal map just to be nice.

My maps are some of the most maintained and updated maps in this community.. in fact I dare say that they are THE most maintained ones yet when I ask for feedback I get ambiguos statements about "standard metal values"(different spots WERE not always the same value in ota). I get refusal to submit metal spot maps and general info. AGAIN, I don't care what the spots look like, I just want you guys to say, hey, I want THIS and I'll add it. Few other mappers have been that open to input.
smoth

Post by smoth »

SirArtturi wrote:Ok. How many players?
don't remember, I want to say there was 10 start points.

(at work right now)
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Alright. I checked it out, your layout is fine, it's good. Now, just make it produce 1.8m/spot.

And extractor radius should be large enough that you dont need to hit your extractor right in the middle.

That's it...

gj...
smoth

Post by smoth »

my layout for this map and for narrow valley were taken from(more or less) from the current latest community versions. So these maps should be good.

1.8/spot? I thought it was supposed to be 2.8 or something? LOL I am way off.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Oops, I was too hasty. Sorry. Map was bigger than I thought.

You may need to redo the metalmap.

You should never use brushes for metal spots, only pencil, otherwise income can be different for different spots.

Here:
Attachments
forsmoth.png
(706.33 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

smoth wrote: 1.8/spot? I thought it was supposed to be 2.8 or something? LOL I am way off.
1.8 is good, could be 2.0, but since you have good amount of spots there, 1.8 is fine. Tabula for example has 1.8 income and plays very well.

Return to “Map Releases”