Re: New FFA Map - Knockout

Post by KaiserJ »

some asshat combombed me at the start lol

hopefully i can try it another day
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Great idea, too often, nobody moves in regular FFA because its better to have your enemies fight eachother. This way, you know who you have to fight to expand, and its only one person at a time: A race to the centre.

You could make a powers of 3 version of this too, for 3, 6 or 12 players.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Great idea, too often, nobody moves in regular FFA because its better to have your enemies fight eachother. This way, you know who you have to fight to expand, and its only one person at a time: A race to the centre.
In theory. I have seen some games and it is only like this in the beginning with full players. After some players die and have 2 startareas under controll it gets very porcy. Before that it seems to be who can block the crossing of better, ie with an hlt (that in the typical ba is just so often countered with another hlt and a guardian..)

The games I saw that started with only ~6 players were a total snorefest tbh. Maybe it was the players. But then porcing the pathes and trying to snipe the enemy com with bombers probally is the best tactic in such a game.
There are no real mexes worth fighting for, the contestable mexes are very hard to attack. Usually its better just to tech instead of wasting units on them.

I much prefer maps like Dworld where players "accidently" expand into each other and thus fights get started.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

knorke do you think this design would appeal more to you if it had some additional (albiet harder to directly attack) pathways that linked the starts? i was thinking that the other day, some small causeways that are lower to the water allowing you to possibly move units closer to the enemy as a sneak manouever
knorke

Post by knorke »

you mean lower paths parellel to the normal path or like a ring around the map?

maybe making the shallow water into lower (higher?) land with ramps at the end would be interessting.

or something like this:
spring_knockout_idea.jpg
(441.91 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
dont know, somehow that all clashes with the pretty clean layout though.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Maybe really hilly paths, to slow units down.

@Original Post: I really like this map, I just wish it were a little prettier. ;P
Nice work!

Return to “Map Releases”