.:New Official Evolution RTS Map Release:. Riverdale Remake - Page 2

.:New Official Evolution RTS Map Release:. Riverdale Remake

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

det

Re: .:New Official Evolution RTS Map Release:. Riverdale Remake

Post by det »

1v0ry_k1ng wrote:springmapeditor allows you to place features in a manner similar to age of empires, then export the resulting featuremap. this seems prefferable in every possible way?
Being able to edit maps within the engine seems like a real bonus. You get to see what it really looks like. You can cheat in units to test instantly. You can do it multi-player. It would be really cool if someone made some terraform tools too.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

det wrote:
1v0ry_k1ng wrote:springmapeditor allows you to place features in a manner similar to age of empires, then export the resulting featuremap. this seems prefferable in every possible way?
Being able to edit maps within the engine seems like a real bonus. You get to see what it really looks like. You can cheat in units to test instantly. You can do it multi-player. It would be really cool if someone made some terraform tools too.
Really, the CA ones are so powerful that if they could be carved out from the CA gameplay, they'd make a nice system for that stuff.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

It seems to have gone under the radar, that the feature placement data made by smoth's featureplacer is DIRECTLY COMPILABLE BY MAPCONV! Just use the -k 'dumpedunitsandfeatures.txt' command! So there is no need to add lua to your map if you only want nice placement.
arooooo? awesomepants
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

I like this! So alive... Maybe a bit too saturated. You could decrease the contrast a bit.

And you should forget the snow scene/weather because It's not working imo if you wont change to snowtexture...

Featureplacer is r
det wrote:
couple sidenotes to add: SME feature rotation is broken, so is deletation. It does not support lua definitions and is much more restricted in terms of feature placing... And afaik, you cant really export featuremap as an rbg image...
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

SirArtturi wrote:I like this! So alive... Maybe a bit too saturated. You could decrease the contrast a bit.

And you should forget the snow scene/weather because It's not working imo if you wont change to snowtexture...
It's saturated because I use the expensive bloom shader included in evo (it's off by default).

Snow doesn't always accumulate, particularly when the earth is still too warm but the atmosphere is cold enough to produce snow.
Pxtl wrote: Yeah, I have to agree - if this system is really just being used to place features (and not active units like Argh's WorldBuilder) then wouldn't it make more sense for the final product to be exported into a spring-standard package system instead of requiring the client to have a special dependancy?
Using active units for features is not a particularly good way to go and it's a good deal more expensive.

Pxtl, I'm guessing you've never made a map that had several hundred different features in it. If you had, you would realize exactly how much fail that question represents.

Also, with having featureplacer integrated, I can dynamically change feature attributes with just a simple change to the game files. Besides, atm in featureplacer I have somewhere in the area of 550 features available for placement.
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

Forb, I had no idea you were even still alive...

I swear we all take turns disappearing into the abyss.

:lol:

I was just poking around, maybe I'll put some time in here again... not too sure yet. :(
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

LathanStanley wrote:Forb, I had no idea you were even still alive...

I was just poking around, maybe I'll put some time in here again... not too sure yet. :(
I'd like to talk regardless.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

@Forb - of course you should be _placing_ features using a tool instead of doing it in MSPaint. I just thought that the tool (not you) should be exporting the feature locations in Spring format instead of using itself as another dependency (which, as Beherith noted, it can do).
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Pxtl wrote:@Forb - of course you should be _placing_ features using a tool instead of doing it in MSPaint. I just thought that the tool (not you) should be exporting the feature locations in Spring format instead of using itself as another dependency (which, as Beherith noted, it can do).
:roll: Look before you speak. I'm getting really tired of repeating myself. I'm not going to explain something so dreadfully simple again.

Maybe you should fire up evo and ponder at f11 while wondering what dumpall does.
LathanStanley wrote:Forb, I had no idea you were even still alive...

:-) I haven't gone anywhere! ;p You can generally find me in my TS3 server:

forbodingangel.no-ip.info
port: 9987
pass: !@#$%^&*()

If I'm not there, pm me here or on the lobby and I'll be there shortly. Would be nice to talk to you again :-)
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

SirArtturi wrote:couple sidenotes to add: SME feature rotation is broken
wat, no its not, it works like a charm whether rotating a single feature for precision or rotating a thousand at once randomly for maek random forest
so is deletation.
wat

It does not support lua definitions and is much more restricted in terms of feature placing...
wat, how is it restricted? you can place any feature anywhere and rotate to any angle?
And afaik, you cant really export featuremap as an rbg image...
if you can place and position and align each feature in 3d why would you want to start at a flat black image with various shades of dots on it????

SME is my drug of choice.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Spiked, use SD to grab the latest test version of evo via the downloader tab, then load up any map, put the commanding unit to featureplacer mode, change the game length to infinite.

Grab sparkly tree when ingame and play around with it. Randomizers are on the last 2 pages. You'll be epicly impressed.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Select and center widget ftw
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

select and center is there, and in normal mode works fine, but a lot of lua trickery happens in sandbox and featureplacer mode so it refuses to work in those instances.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Pxtl wrote:
det wrote:
Really, the CA ones are so powerful that if they could be carved out from the CA gameplay, they'd make a nice system for that stuff.
You could use CA terraform as a base but it would require some changes and extra functionality. For map editing you would want things like variable brush size, configurable smooth, erosion tools.. it's defiantly doable.

Now all we need is the ability to change and export map texture and metalmap with lua and we can have a multiplayer map editor :-) .
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

Jazcash wrote:For example, making things like bridges that units can go over and underneath.

Return to “Map Releases”