New Asteroid Map: Apophis v2 - Page 14

New Asteroid Map: Apophis v2

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Otherside

Re: New Asteroid Map: Apophis v2

Post by Otherside »

I just think its a rather ridiculous thing to do.

But ill stop posting here and wont derail any further I know you have a bad opinion of me but any respect i had for you as a mapper has been totally lost.

Last thing we need is Gadget wars.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Solar panels shouldn't work on dark maps! Mapper hacks for Nightscape gogogogogo!
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Pardon me for saying it, but I believe I've played more than enough CA to know what I'm talking about in regards to play, balance and game design. Removing wind does radically change the game at this point, but it does not make it unplayable. Rather it produces a remarkably different experience.

So I will restate this from my prior post;
I was earlier discussing my desire to revisit my CA mapping project with lurker, with the caveat that there would be some way for my maps to opt out of the automatic scaling and other map-transforming lua when necessary, since they would already be scaled for CA and some would have delicate CA typemaps or terrain unsuitable for terraformation. I believe the solution to this entire debacle is in implementing some flags for maps intended to play with CA - but in a non-standard way - to do so, to the extent that they opt out of different elements of CA's structure.
With the corresponding belief that the structure of a game or mod can benefit from local changes, and that having a notably different experience on a different map, whether through changing the economic elements or through changing the heightmap, can be enjoyable.
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

CarRepairer wrote:
Argh wrote:So, why all the ruckus? Wind is an arbitrary concept, CA's code doesn't need to reference the map SMD at all to operate correctly...
That's CA's opinion and what is being argued over in the last 9 pages. You aren't stating anything new.
CA's decision. Not the opinion of every developer involved.
Pxtl wrote:Nobody complains about airplanes, S44 human soldiers, or ballistic artillery that doesn't reach escape velocity. Why is wind so special?
You forgot hovers.
neddiedrow wrote:I believe the solution to this entire debacle is in implementing some flags for maps intended to play with CA - but in a non-standard way - to do so, to the extent that they opt out of different elements of CA's structure.
Might work.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Saktoth: You forgot that every unit should be free floating, and only those with claws or jet packs allowed to position themselves.
FLOZi wrote:I should write a gadget which gives all soldier models space helmets!
I wanted to say that! Iron Sky mutator ftw!
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Saktoth wrote:
[citation needed] on AoE.
http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3x1.html#nuke
I am having trouble trusting a source that cites science fiction repeatedly, and refers to our planet as Terra.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Peet wrote:
Saktoth wrote:
[citation needed] on AoE.
http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3x1.html#nuke
I am having trouble trusting a source that cites science fiction repeatedly, and refers to our planet as Terra.
We're talking about fluff here, this is basically a giant science fiction fluff vs the real science guide.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Map crashes on startup in CA, BA thanks to new spring version.
http://pastebin.com/m9daaeb0
http://buildbot.eat-peet.net/spring/sta ... 86149.html
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

Forboding Angel wrote:I wasn't arguing your stance on the response, I am arguing your statement that it was an obvious joke. Do you think hunterw is an idiot? If not, do you recall that he tried to copyright an SMD?
lolololololololloollol

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... t*#p152382

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... t*#p152300

and especially this quote from myself at the end of the thread
If you think by this that somehow a copyright was involved, I don't think there is hope for you to understand my side of the argument - this is morals and morals alone.
tldr summary:

spend 3 hrs making SMD settings for tangerine, someone uses it line for line in their map THE NEXT DAY without any acknowledgement, and years later you still somehow mistake my frustration for "copyrighting my SMD", something i NEVER said or did and even refuted *three* times.

its like you are in an alternate reality.

reading comprehension ftw
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Ive had my fun with this, and have revised my stance to: Do whatever you want if you feels it makes your mod better suited for a map.

Btw, it no longer crashes on load.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Thanks Beherith, i'd like to use this or another of your asteroid maps as the first map for the ZK campaign. No reason to introduce wind generators so early in the campaign anyway, the player can stick to solars. :P
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

You probably will have to modify it, because it contains non licensed music. And I have to modify it as well, because the top start isnt flat enough.
Myrias

Post by Myrias »

Very nice illusion, worse at the edge but still very beautyfull (don't look at the edge).

can you make optic deformation with lua stuff ?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Depends on what kind of optic deformation you want...
Myrias

Post by Myrias »

curve light line like water or glass do.

i drawed an image, it's better than my poors words.

you no more see the edge

Return to “Map Releases”