New map - Alpine way - Page 2

New map - Alpine way

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

imbaczek

Re: New map - Alpine way

Post by imbaczek »

Starting positions need at least one more metal spot IMHO, also, extractor radius is a little bit too small, you need to place a mex _exactly_ on the spot, and it doesn't guarantee that you won't have to build another. Doubling the radius will make it fine.
daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

i trying to play this map. Loadign in lobby to select it takes ages. Than my maplist selected hangs. ITs just this map.

daan
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

The version 2 is quite slow to load. Did you pack it with 7zip as a solid archive? If so, make a version 3 with solid archive turned off.
Atorpy

Post by Atorpy »

Hi Decimator,

Right you are. The v2 archive was compiled from the command line, and I forgot to pass 7z the "-ms=off" switch to disable solid archives. I'll do a v3 with fog reduced, metal patches expanded, and solid archive disabled.

I think I'm getting there; thanks for your patience everyone.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Atorpy

Post by Atorpy »

Hi Everyone,

Version 3 of 'Alpine way' is available here:

http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=1439

This version:
  • Disables solid archive
  • Increases the mex radius
  • Increases fog start distance
Please let me know if there are any further problems.

Cheerio,
Aaron.
DavetheBrave

Post by DavetheBrave »

metal is way too high for a 1v1 map. all of the metal outside of the actual metal spots needs to be deleted. It would also help to halve the metal in the metal spots and make a few more.

It's gonna be a pain to try to build energy here because of the terrain. Could the start areas be flattened a bit?

beautiful though :)
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

could you make a duo version? (for team battles)
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

DavetheBrave wrote:metal is way too high for a 1v1 map. all of the metal outside of the actual metal spots needs to be deleted.
I agree with this. I had to make a profile for the map so that the S44 flag spawner didn't crash Spring.
smoth

Post by smoth »

how did you do the roads?
TheFatController
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by TheFatController »

FLOZi wrote:
DavetheBrave wrote:metal is way too high for a 1v1 map. all of the metal outside of the actual metal spots needs to be deleted.
I agree with this. I had to make a profile for the map so that the S44 flag spawner didn't crash Spring.
Fix your flag spawner imo
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

It doesn't even crash on SpeedMetal, so that shows you have messed up the metal is on alpine way.
Atorpy

Post by Atorpy »

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for the feedback. I've lowered the metal settings, reduced the patch diameter, and flattened some areas near the start points to allow easier base building. I'll upload it once I've finished some more play-testing.
Smoth wrote: how did you do the roads?
I used the 'bulldozer' brush in L3DT's 3D editor to make the road path on the heightfield, and then the attributes map brush to paint the asphalt covering. There's a start-to-finish tutorial in the subject here.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Cheerio,
Aaron.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Atorpy wrote:Hi Guys,

Thanks again for the feedback. I've lowered the metal settings, reduced the patch diameter, and flattened some areas near the start points to allow easier base building. I'll upload it once I've finished some more play-testing.
Smoth wrote: how did you do the roads?
I used the 'bulldozer' brush in L3DT's 3D editor to make the road path on the heightfield, and then the attributes map brush to paint the asphalt covering. There's a start-to-finish tutorial in the subject here.

Thanks again for the help everyone!

Cheerio,
Aaron.
That is an excellent tutorial, thanks Aaron. Looks like i'll have to update my copy of L3DT. This feature alone looks worth the download!
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

The road use "default" terrain type and have the same 1,1,1,1 speed modifier as everything else. And when I make pitbulls or jeffy race, I notice no speed increase on roads. Still, somehow units prefer to travel on road (maybe just because they are more flat?) Also, they don't look like tar road enough, though I'm not sure if it's the texture or the detailtex that needs to be changed.

The "green" of the metal patch is a little bit bigger than the "red circle" of the extraction radius, which I find annoying.

Return to “Map Releases”