NEW map Egypt

NEW map Egypt

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

daan 79

NEW map Egypt

Post by daan 79 »

Hello

Its been a while since i made a map and i walked around with this idea for a couple of weeks and desides that i wanted to work on this.

The concept.

http://www.cuneiforme.nl/Pirosite/height.bmp
0 x

Neddie
Community Lead

Re: NEW map Egypt

Post by Neddie »

Rock on!
0 x

daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

an update.

personally i thinking of more hight but the trouble will be applying textures since i loved to work with painshop byt i got down to a p4 again with 512 so that is fail with a bitmap this size.

Anyway i think i can apply for the pyramids darker colour and overall more yellow.
0 x

Gota

Post by Gota »

You should post a better screenshot...its impossible to see anything in the one you supplied because you have a com exploding right in the middle.
0 x

daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

Oke here are some shots of the map. I think besides the texture it needs alot of updates. I wanted to make sphinxes out of the ground but that failed. I think i hould go for modeling instead. Then ther is this trouble i have using paintshop since i am on this old computer. Than the metal is just balanced but not logical yet. But what really worry me is how to get more shading on this map. maybe half side of map with shades. Or features of old ruines would work aswell.

Well her are some pics.

I gonna make more versions since i had some ideas that wont all fit in one map.

need different textures

also a very ugly dark texture

obelisks are also fail but i get that right by getting it as a feature

overall

scaling

lol at the sfhinxs

So basicully i used one texture because my mapconv get the texture always wrong on my height map. How i flip i always end up borked. And i cant use this machine to texture a map like this.

In the meantime here a link to have a preview
http://cuneiforme.nl/Pirosite/maps.sd7
0 x

smoth

Post by smoth »

interesting.
0 x

Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Those look like ziggurats rather then Pyramids ;)
0 x

Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

The concept is great, but as you said the single-texture shade doesnt really work for the heightmap. Keep working at it!
0 x

ralphie

Post by ralphie »

daan 79 wrote: So basicully i used one texture because my mapconv get the texture always wrong on my height map. How i flip i always end up borked. And i cant use this machine to texture a map like this.
try -i in your compile line (or removing it if it's there)
0 x

daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

Hi well i kept working on it,

Ralphie i didnt knew what -i did but i just that in my other lines and i put it back :D oh now i know what it is its so happy to use it tx. Yes i think i gonna make more versions of this defenietly. In my last version i think i made the pyramids to dark and the texture on ground to light. I think i wanna try reverse the textures.

Also in this version i didnt meneged to get my features in i made.
i adde them to the fs.txt file

Obelix (without the .s3o)
Sfinxx (without... but i also tried before with .s3o)

and i made them tdf and s3o and assigned the textures to the s3o. Strange thing is they dont show up in game.

This could have multiple reasons.

1 i didnt manage to get a real 255 dot red
2 the dots are to close to maybe pyramid(could be very possible i made them random)
3 i am using a wrong version of mapconv (had that ones ago)

here are the features i made for the map:

I was thinking about making a structure with big pillars and make with feature a roof on top of it thats why i experimented a bit with the round things on the map.

I think darker texture is still better to play with but dark is less realistic. So i probelly have a hard time getting that right. And the metal map was pretty screwed up.

oh and its a bit hard to navigate kbots on the pyramids they sometimes need to go to corners to walk down and up.

greetz daan
0 x

daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

Well i changed the concept a bit and i made some more colour in this. I think i make a final one with some features soon and gonna work on a different concept same map. Oh in ba my system lags fast so i didnt enjoyed playing there. xta didnt played and ca well it seems most fun with ca. But i think xta will do good aswell. If only the fighters didnt lag or something else with ba.

0 x

daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

Well after i ended up with features around on my map i had the following facts.

Features seems to take angle of the ground
Features end up in game 4 times as dark as i used texturing
And i always have a multiplying geo vent witch spams 4 at same plca.

The last fact is to overcome.
But the second has to do i believe with the settings. I ran spring just a moment ago with highest settings and maybe with lower settings the features show up in real texture colours? i cant test it since last time i crashed with this map all spring went down :oops: it wasnt me
I think the first fact about features with different agles isnt much to do about that. Well i not so worring about rotate features atall.

But why does they end up so dark in game.

I wil test it in a minute i hope :S

0 x

daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

i fixed it it was the alpha layers feature textures. I was tryign to gt vertical texture in the game by setting wals as features against map walls. This i wanna improve in a next version and maybe resouces.

The features i added can be reclaimed on a very slow rate. And now the pyramids have metal in them thats why if 4 teasm start from corners they shouldnt lose ther pyramid. greetz daan

http://www.cuneiforme.nl/Pirosite/4pyramids.sd7

so basicully this is a beta
0 x

Gota

Post by Gota »

So theoraticly you can reclaim the pyramids?
0 x

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Please turn your terrain lod up for map screens kthxbai
0 x

zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

daan 79 wrote:Features seems to take angle of the ground
If you don't like that, add upright=1; in the feature TDF.
0 x

daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

oke i made a final concept that i can improve while this one get played. There are some things on my wish list like a sun that goes up and down. Thats why i added some screens of a dark picture. Also than i would add some flaming features that would funtiona as torches would be very cool i think. But next to this i made the metal in the pyramids. This is fun when its not possible to upgrade mexes but is possible to spam mexes. than i made som efeatures to make a bit difference on this map. The features can function as two things. they hide your base for bombers (you can build in them) and they can be used to hide your mirco scouts to keep harassing someones base.

So things i would like to make here
a day/night cycles
some sounds on the background maybe
its on jobjol.nl
i will contineu now on other versions of this concept untill i learn how to impliment those lua thingys. zwzsg tx that is very handy. I have to play everything on low settings so sorry for these screens.

0 x

hrmph

Post by hrmph »

Cool concept. The texturemap/heightmap could use some work, but it is nice to see someone thinking outside of the box.
0 x

daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

ok i realised i failed totally on height map and texture map. The heightmap is not hard to challange but the texture map is for me.

I face a wall when i working on the texture
i suck at it big time(main reason)
my system takes 30 minutes to compleet a new idea
and i dont work with a clear picture to start with i hope i end up with one

Well her eis what i did to see this map from a whole new view.
i added agorms trees on this i was trying to creat a pyramid in jungle effect.

My screens always fail. Why is the grass yellow when i shoot with high settings? and i cant see much detail in distanse but i think i should set LOS manually to fix it. Well i very happy with the heightmap now. Now vehecles have also a change but still not prefereble. and the terrein is more exeseble. but the texture well i find texture not the most interesting part but is mainly the part tat makes a map fail or stand so another fail version :D

last one is with low settings
0 x

daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

ok this is a horse with broken leg stories and it will probelly fit in with most of my maps. this will also fail because of texture and beaty. Why bother with a map nobody gonna play anyway. I dont wann scare ppl by giving them a new concept in the game.
0 x

Return to “Map Releases”