NEW MAP: Two Hills - Page 2

NEW MAP: Two Hills

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

aGorm

Post by aGorm »

dont worry theres actully quite a lot and its only for 1v1 or 2v2 realy anyway

however im using the new map cov tool to make a rebuild... lets see if its better (i done some minor tweks aswell)

aGorm
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Sure, this kind of maps look nice, but recetly we've seen a lot of "oo, look at this shiny new engine, let's see what it's capable of without thinking".
For gameplay reasons we really need more wc3/ccg type maps.
*blanches*

Please rethink that.
mongus

Post by mongus »

I did just tried this map.

It looks awesome! (use Total war camera mode).
The texture is very detailed and crisp.
its even a bit heavy at times.

The hills... well at first, when saw the minimap i thoug it looked like false.. human made, computer generated...
But once in the game they look rich and detailed. have small variations in shape and size aswell as big depresions... very nice.

The paths between the hills... are a bit narrow. But you can move 2 big tanks through them, or 20 kbots without problem.

Its not a flat island... its a big mount, quite tall from sea level, thats why in the sides of the hill you almost cant build. There is also different heights within the main play field/paths.
This helps the build space become scarse when using more than 4 factories.
This can be viewed as a (strategic) caracteristic or as fault of the map.
Spring being able to build factories in even slopes (plain but not horizontal terrain) is a nice idea here.

There is only one issue i found.
When the ground was quite deformated, by artillery, larger tanks COULDNT move over the terrain. Maybe there was way too much artillery in my game, but the tanks where not able to find its path through the left bottom/middle paths (that where very deteriorated).
I dont think the ground is too soft, but maybe if its harder it may help.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Thanks! Thats realy nice of you to say. Hummm I dont actully know how you set map hardness... but in saying that I did make it in mind that you should not be able to just wander across the map. :-) its ment to be hard to get to the other side as it makes the map bigger, without actully making it bigger. I suppose ithis does give air a slight advantage, but it doesn't make the land units redundant i hope.

i hope others have actuylly played it and not just comented on the mini map which i admit makes it look flat and like it has hills splated on! :-)

Anyway, thanks for the feed back!

Ill get busy on the next one (32 x 32!! you know u want it!)

aGorm
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

And for another needless plug, with minispring, those passages immediately become twice as wide, so you can fit twice the amount of tanks/kbots running through the valleys, or fit more factories around the place.
Also, given that unit weapon explosions are smaller, terrain deformation becomes less of an issue too!
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Just as my own thoughts on mini spring... Id rather that it was an actule engin change so that everythiung was a little smaller and have that as the way its ment to be. I dont like the idea of some people having mini spring and others having standered spring... That makes map making harder because you have to make it worth wile playing on both versions! If in the next release of spring evrything is smaller id have no probs though...

aGorm

Return to “Map Releases”