Green Isles v2

Green Isles v2

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

nitrus

Green Isles v2

Post by nitrus »

I've made a few improvements - thanks for the creative criticism :wink:

Metal Patches look a bit better <cheers zwzsg> but still not ideal.
textured at 8192 (rather than a blown up 4096) so should look better overall.
better texture on top of mountains
moved resource laden islands more toward center of map - which will help with the balance
AutoShowMetal=0 in SMD

There are shallows joining the two top islands and two bottom islands - this was there in v1 - but you may have missed it.

Get it here:
http://www.fileuniverse.com/?page=showitem&ID=783 8.4MB

Enjoy and let me know what you think.

-nitrus-
Last edited by nitrus on 18 May 2005, 12:50, edited 2 times in total.
Storm

Post by Storm »

[ Done ]
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

from the minimap, it looks a bit more balanced, howver south has a big pool for a tidal farm which north doesn't hav. However north is closer to the islands..

well i think it's okay, however most noobs don't understand tidals = energy = metal
Longaxe

Post by Longaxe »

Much better, however there are still some things that are unbalancing the map. The guy on the top left hand corner is at a big disadvantage. Mainly, because of the shape of the mountain range on the island below him; it makes it almost impossible for him the take that inland if someone is in the lower left hand corner. You might want to consider putting another mountain range on the other side of the island. As it is now three out of the four starting locations seem to be fairly well balanced. Fords between all of the six large islands might also be nice.
nitrus

Post by nitrus »

Thanks for the comments - I'm actually more of a programmer than a map designer (as you can probably tell :lol: ).

I'm not going to be tweaking the map anymore, but gonna start working on some better tools for editing them.

If anyone wants the source bitmaps for this map, to continue its development, I'll be happy to let you have them.
Frog

Post by Frog »

I´d like to know how you rendered at 8096 . I thought that wasn´t possible with tertexgen ? Also I´d be interested in the Textures themselves, if you don´t mind taking all the work off me :D .
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Terragen for 8192x8192 renders, it CAN do bigger, but I've found that 512megs of ram and 4gigs of pagefile is insufficient for such sizes.
nitrus

Post by nitrus »

Frog wrote:I´d like to know how you rendered at 8096 . I thought that wasn´t possible with tertexgen ? Also I´d be interested in the Textures themselves, if you don´t mind taking all the work off me :D .
You're right - Terrtexgen is limited to 4096 - so I cheated and chopped my height map into 4 and rendered each to 4096 then pasted them into a 8192x8192 image.

I modified terrtexgen's delphi code to let me do 8192x8192 but it allocated about 2gigs of mem :shock:

Delphi!=efficient :lol: (don't flame me I was only jokin!)
Frog

Post by Frog »

I thought you might have done it like that :-), because that was how I would have done it :wink: . Was it much work to paste them together, or did they align perfectly? And yes I know I could try myself but I´m lazy :P .
And you didn´t give me a link to your textures/tileset (I can understand if you don´t want lazy me doing nothing and enjoy using your work, but you might as well admit to it :P )

Oh and good work on the v1 map as well, and thanks for the info´s (sorry if I´m slightly rude).
nitrus

Post by nitrus »

alignment seems to look ok - pasted sections to (0,0) (4096,0) (0,4096) (4096,4096)

Get source here:
http://www.floridasun.co.uk/tas/GI_Source.zip

You need v0.6 of MAPConv.

cmdline I use:

mapconv -l -c 2 -x 210 -n -45 -o "Green Isles v2.sm2" -m GI_V2_m.bmp -a GI_V2_h.bmp -i -e -t GI_V2_c.bmp
Frog

Post by Frog »

Hey, you gave me much more than I asked for ! Thank you very much :-) . Unfortunately I´m not quite finished with making the textures from the heightmap, tertexgen isn´t too fast on my comp (time to get a new one I recon). And may I say that v2 looks quite a bit better than v1, well done *thumbs up*.
I ´m not gauranteeing that I´m going to continue work on your map though, I fear...
nitrus

Post by nitrus »

you mentioned you were lazy now I believe you. :wink:

Return to “Map Releases”