BOTA 1.6 (Fix 9) (Updated Finally)

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Peekaboom

Post by Peekaboom »

Groovy.

EDIT:

Played a great 1v1 last night on tangerine. Couple things to mention:

1) We noticed that ARM doesn't have a rez bot. I was pretty sure that cavedog eventually released a 3rd party arm rez bot. Either way, I think you may want to consider adding one in, as it is a unit either side should really have access to.

2) I had some cruisers that seemed to pile/stack on top of each other close to shore (i.e. they didn't seem to have proper clipping). Not sure about how to fix that.

3) The core Morty's and Dominators have really huge range. I can see them out distancing most tanks, but their range is really too close to the vehicle artillery and rocket trucks. (1000 range for morty's/dominators, 1100 artillery trucks, 1200 rocket trucks). I would drop the morty/dominator range down to around 825. That way they still shoot past adv tanks, but not so far as the advanced support units.

4) Wreckage rules. I like it that big tanks dont' plow through wreckage. Requires some effort to reclaim it all / blow it up, to make a pass, which ?I like.

5) Flak rules

6) Goliaths rule

7) BOTA rules.

Overall, it was great fun. I'll definitly be pushing this mod as much as I can. There was really a lot of classic TA carnage to be had, on account of being able to shoot through friendlies. Tier 1 units get outclassed pretty quickly by tier 2, but it is still helpful to have tier 1 as fodder / support, which is good.

Keep it up!
Peekaboom

Post by Peekaboom »

Here's the link to that game's replay:

http://replays.unknown-files.net/?259

Cheers.
Peekaboom

Post by Peekaboom »

is Quanto still around?
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I think he is on break.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Is anybody still maintaining this? I've been playing it with a group of OTA fans, and we're having a rockin' good time.

However, I've noticed a bug and a problem:

1) bug: Spring doesn't support the collidefriendly tag on beamlasers, so my Doomsday devices will obliterate friendly units that get in their way. Either the BLODs need to be converted into pulse-lasers, or the avoidfriendly tag needs to be removed.

2) Too much terrain deformation makes the ground nigh-impassable for heavy tanks. Considering that Golis and Bulldogs are the mainstay of a late-game assault, watching them lumber slowly over pockmarked terrain while getting pounded into holes by artillery is painful.

The impulse isn't such a problem for knocking units around - that's good fun. But the cratering makes for an unacceptable mess. Is there a way to remove cratering? Or should impulse be removed altogether?

If nobody is interested in maintaining this mod, would anyone mind if I just forked it and made the changes directly?
[Krogoth86]

Post by [Krogoth86] »

Pxtl wrote:Is there a way to remove cratering? Or should impulse be removed altogether?
It's

Code: Select all

cratermult=0;
craterboost=0;
if you want no craters at all... :wink:
xpoy

Re: The BOTA Thread - Version 1.5 Finished!

Post by xpoy »

a ha
really love u...
nice job! :lol
Evil4Zerggin

Re:

Post by Evil4Zerggin »

[Krogoth86] wrote:
Pxtl wrote:Is there a way to remove cratering? Or should impulse be removed altogether?
It's

Code: Select all

cratermult=0;
craterboost=0;
if you want no craters at all... :wink:
This is correct. Also note that impulse and cratering can be controlled separately (there are also impulsefactor and impulseboost tags).
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Re: The BOTA Thread - Version 1.5 Finished!

Post by Quanto042 »

Sorry to have been on break for so long. I've dusted off the old BOTA file and i've managed to fix that annoying crashbug in the mod. It runs fine in 0.76b1 now. It should also hopefully run fine in the next version of spring as well.

This update is only a quick bugfix. Nothing spectacular. No balance changes, no fancy lasers or such. Just the same old BOTA.

On a side note, is there enough interest in this sucker for me to continue improvements? I've got a few ideas bouncing around in my head but this mod has always suffered from lack of interest. If no one will play it then I see no reason to continue. Myself, i love it, otherwise i would have never take over for Thor. But at the moment there are so many TA mods out there right now, what can BOTA do to stand out?

Download Now!
overkill

Re: The BOTA Thread - Version 1.51 The Crashbug is fixed!

Post by overkill »

On a more serious note, yes. Please do continue developement, i have always loved this mod, and the fact that i can now play it again is so many forms of win.....
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Thats one enthusiastic response >_>

So this is a general question, again, What can I do to make BOTA stand out?
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Used to be an enthusiastic player, but then I got sick of waiting and started my own OTA mod. Did you also check to make sure that beamweapons/lightning (test them SEPERATELY, since they have different code) don't collide friendlies? That was a problem in the last (working) version.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Pxtl wrote:Used to be an enthusiastic player, but then I got sick of waiting and started my own OTA mod. Did you also check to make sure that beamweapons/lightning (test them SEPERATELY, since they have different code) don't collide friendlies? That was a problem in the last (working) version.
Actually, i did that one on purpose.
For something as powerful as a beam weapon, i wanted the player to think carefully about where they are putting it and how they are using it.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

I don't think it was deliberate on the Zeuses though.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

let me check on the zues, cause the definately wasn't intentional

[edit]
I just checked the code, its CollideFriendly/AvoidFriendly are both set to 0 (BOTA default) so i don't know why it would be hitting other units. Are you sure it is? I've never noticed the problem.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Quanto042 wrote:let me check on the zues, cause the definately wasn't intentional

[edit]
I just checked the code, its CollideFriendly/AvoidFriendly are both set to 0 (BOTA default) so i don't know why it would be hitting other units. Are you sure it is? I've never noticed the problem.
My bad - must've been confused with CTA.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

Okay, got to appologize here. There were a few typos in some of the fbi's. Some units wouldn't be build able as a result. So I'm releasing another fix. Its amazing what people fine when you get back to playing :X.
Download 1.52
123vtemp

Post by 123vtemp »

OTA / BOTA
:)
Thor
NOTA Developer

Post by Thor »

avoid/collide friendly doesn't work with lightning weapons, iirc

Return to “Game Releases”