Eternal Struggle 0.53 - Page 7

Eternal Struggle 0.53

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

LordMuffe

Re: Eternal Struggle 0.53

Post by LordMuffe »

just something i had in mind and wanted to get out... still hope i will be able to texture something soon...

LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

the Isari ships i have so far. Still wip... especial the flak-frigate. Don´t know what to do about the front.

Flak-frigate

support-carrier

Long-range-frigate

Size comparison
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

nice looking models.
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

thx... if only they wouldn´t be so hard to uvmap.
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

another dreadnought. Its slower and sturdier as the other one. While the first has its strength fighting swarms of smaller, faster vessels and can move freely while doing so, this one is a bit special. The firing range of its weapons only include the sides of the ship. So to use its full potential it hast to be between two targets.
Thew weapons are the medium plasma-turrets and unguided rockets. There is also an tractor-beam on each side to hinder the targets from outmaneuvering the ship once it can attack.

The model is still wip: there is much cleaning to do, some details have still to be added or removed ( atm roughly 9k tris.. bit much maybe ) and I´m not yet sure if I don´t want to add a bridge in the style of the other Isari ships.

bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

I really like the design.
scifi

Post by scifi »

epic models, i wouldnt add more details to it, tbh. Things like more turrets more missile tubes. More visible and menacing weapons thats the way to go imo. The rest is awesome already.
thx... if only they wouldn´t be so hard to uvmap.
yup i share your pain.
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

thx guys :)

now this time I went a bit too far: 18k tris. I like how it looks, but its still missing the bridge and a few smaller parts, so I get either a 20k tri model or I will have to strip quite a few details. There won´t be many ships of that kind flying around ... but 20k tris is still... a bit unsettling.

This dreadnought is like a single giant gun, meant as a strong counter to Destroyers, Stations and other Dreadnoughts.

LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

third version of the Flag-frigate, this time I´m really happy with the outcome. Roughly 3k tris so far, but I will add some details before getting it into the UV-mapping hell.

PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

you need some algo to texture this all
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

well, sometimes, when i wake up at night for no reason, i start to think how easy it would be if I would use the THIS method of texturing... and then i have nightmares ... since if I would do that, I believe I could never be bothered to texture/uvmap again ;)

still very tempting though...
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

two new wips:

The shield-frigate and the assault-frigate. The assault-frigate differs from the variants of the other two sides by having its main weapon statically facing frontal.

Shield-frigate

Assault-frigate
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

The WIP of the Destroyer. Its not as elegant like I envisioned it, but the more massive look it has now seems to be fitting too. The bridge and the big turrets (grey) are placeholders at the moment until I figure out, how they should look.

only two more ships to go... then comes the horror of uvmaping and *sigh* texturing all those units. oh joy :)
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

smoth

Post by smoth »

LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

hehe, yeah. It will be a very fun weekend to "waste" on the mapping and texturing of this one. But the Destroyer is, thanks to many mirrored parts, rather easy. I´m specially prematurely exhausted when I think about the Carrier. Pretty much the reason why I changed back to symmetrical design for most of the ships. Its just much simpler to map.

I´m also thinking about using this ( http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 16#p524274 ) for the turrets, so i won´t have to map and texture them for every unit separately. Does anybody know, if the performance cost is as marginal as speculated for hundreds of units using this?
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

I've recently discovered a little thing called "baking materials to texture".
Extra fun with automatic unwrap.
Results may vary.
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

Anarchid wrote:I've recently discovered a little thing called "baking materials to texture".
Extra fun with automatic unwrap.
Results may vary.
I don't really understand what you mean with that, and google didn't help. Could you explain it a bit more?

also:

Fighter-craft WIP. Cockpit-area is problematic as always.

Bomber

Interceptor
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

I don't really understand what you mean with that, and google didn't help. Could you explain it a bit more?
Blender, and possibly other modeling suites, has an ability to take its internal material system as input, and render it onto the bitmap determined with UV, which in turn can be autogenerated if you don't care for human touch.

This means you can use the materials system and pretty much skip all of the UV and raster workload altogether.

This doesn't guarantee it would be faste trhan conventional approach ofc, since you still need to do materials and paint them on the model.

Additional benefits include possibility to bake normals using pretty much the same approach, either by creating a higher-polycount mesh with additional greeble (which will be used to generate normals), or using materials which affect normals. Or both.
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

ok, "finished" bomber and interceptor model for the Isari. The models are still in Wings, and I will add some small details to the texture when I feel like it.

At the moment, I´m just glad I could get myself to uvmap and texture something.

The wings are foldable alongside the main-body.

Return to “Game Releases”