Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

Trademark.. seriously dude...

HABEEB IT!

ITTY BITTY UNITS

I DONT BELIEVE IT!
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Cool, so those are the new textured units?

But when you make new unitpics, make sure the background is enough different color than the unit... so its easier to look at.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Looks great! Might still be some confusion between AA and artil (Longer gun on the artil, facing upwards by default, or both?), not sure about the flat grey panel on the roof of the rocket bot (Larger rocket pods might be better), and dont know if i like the green strip on the plasma (Green on the guns is good, but i can see you wanted max visual impact).

Also, for uniformity, wont the other bots need to be changed to comply to this design (Esp the plasma?). One of the things that helps the most with instant recognition is consistency.

Finally, my #1 change to any unit would be to put more black/yellow stripping on the tech2 urc construction bot. I know the argument 'You dont need to identify individual units, send them in groups' but you really do need to identify construction bots.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

*_*

dont use block colours like that(photoshop lol?), it makes the detail on the surrounding textures look 10x worse.

And the flamer bot doesnt need the red tanks at all, it was fine as it was.

For the ecm bot instead of adding a big grey mesh on the top, instead make the spikes that jut out of the side longer and make the central torso bigger and taller (note I didnt say to chaneg the shape ro size of the legs so no walking script changes)
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Love them - instantly recognizable, and the colour doesn't overwhelm the original team colour so you can still tell your unit's from Joe's. I think that's exactly what we all wanted.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Fanger wrote:It seems the mark II URC combat units were causing confusion amongst field commanders. The poor preformance of this iteration of URC combat unit has forced URC high command to redesign the turret housing for all light combat units effective immediately. It is hoped this new design will provide for more effective combat use and ease of identification by field command personal...
But those are GD UNITS!

ARGH! Now I'm really lost...ugh. Never mind, screw it. Does this mean I'll need to get new glamor shots for the wiki?

YES!

Dang.
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

AF.. WHAT...
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Is everyone going to hate me if I think that the new units look a bit...graish?

I'm fired, aren't I?
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

yes..

AF the ecm bot doesnt have a big grey mesh on the top, that is the JAMMER it rotates and IM not removing it..

Those "solid" colors except for the Flame bot are Placeholders atm for an actual texture I will make...

YOU PEOPLE ARENT SATISTFIED WITH ANYTHING!!!
ARGH..
smoth

Post by smoth »

AF wrote:dont use block colours like that(photoshop lol?), it makes the detail on the surrounding textures look 10x worse.
*sighs* cannot please everyone.
AF wrote:And the flamer bot doesnt need the red tanks at all, it was fine as it was.
No it wasn't. People bitched too much about it before that they could not determine one unit from another, that included the flamer.
AF wrote:the ecm bot instead of adding a big grey mesh on the top, instead make the spikes that jut out of the side longer and make the central torso bigger and taller (note I didnt say to chaneg the shape ro size of the legs so no walking script changes)
It always looked like that, you know that.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Fanger wrote: Those "solid" colors except for the Flame bot are Placeholders atm for an actual texture I will make...
OOOOOOOH. I should have assumed that from the start. Well that's fine then, I'm sure a good texture will make it look fine. I mean, just look at Gears of War. That was all in the texture...and the chainsaw bayonet.

Mmm...chainsaw bayonet.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

It doesnt have to be that garish colour though, I was and still am hoping those 2 images are a big joke.

When I and others said to change textures and make more geometry changes, these werent what we were suggesting, these are design changes that change the overall way the unit looks in an unsightly way, they clash bigtime.

What I would ahve liked to ahve seen would be some extra textures added in keeping with what the rest are for example maybe a darkish panel that looks similair tot he rest save in colour on a top quad, a weapon turrets size and position and resting positions changed around, defining features made mroe apparent, not totally rehashed into something which is actually uglier than the original.

The units in that image are worse than the original EE units in 0.163, they're huge step down aesthetically, and the gameplay benefits can be gotten without these changes. Put the wings files up for everyone and lets see what suggestions we get, but suffice to say I'd rather play with the existing units and pretend I know what I'm commanding than play with these new ones.
smoth

Post by smoth »

You know, seeing it in game as a final product will be different. This is why fang does not show works in progress. you are pissing ME off af. No, more drab colors would hurt unit differentiation because they cannot be spoted.

Fuck it. I am not going to bother.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Smoth, they didnt have to be those colours to make it clear, they remind me heavily of Space Empires 4 components, rotated around and pasted ontop especially in those colours.
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

and people wonder why I seem to not listen to anyone..

*makes urc bots...

*people: OMG I CANT TELL THEM APART!!

*remakes urc bots...

*people: OMG THEY LOOK GARISH AND HAVE NO COHERENT DESIGN!!

*bashes head into wall repeatedly...
tombom

Post by tombom »

AF wrote:Space Empires 4
:awesome:

I don't mind the new colour scheme, it's pretty hard to have it both ways. I guess it's pretty hard to get something perfect so I'll go with whatever, they all look fine to me.
Deathblane

Post by Deathblane »

Well I for one like the new designs. Coherent yet individual.
Candleman

Post by Candleman »

Agreed. The chassis are similar, so they still have a sense of similarity, and the additions make it very easy to pick out differences. Not that I had a problem, but now the opponents have no reason to complain.
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

Basically people.. the units that have to be redone now are as follows:

URC:

lvl 2-3 regular and stealth missile
lvl 2 regular and stealth SAM
lvl 2-3 regular and stealth plasma
lvl 3 stealth flamethrower
lvl 1-2-3 ship plasma
lvl 1-2-3 ship missile
lvl 2 mortor ship
lvl 2-3 carriers
lvl 1-2-3 turret plasma
lvl 1-2-3 turret missile
lvl 1 mortor turret
lvl 1-2-3 SAM turret
lvl 1-3 aircraft plasma weapons

GD

lvl 1-2-3 missile tank
lvl 1 radar tank
lvl 3 laser tank
lvl 1-2 AAA tank

(let me know if there are any other GD units that are hard to distiguish)
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

In actuallity.. was it anything but the lvl 1 urc units that was really hard to distinguish?

Return to “Game Releases”