CvC mod 0.4 - Page 2

CvC mod 0.4

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

danpaul88

Post by danpaul88 »

I like the different playing style, with some work this could be a very good mod. Only one side is a little dissapointing, but it is a first version ( or even the 0th version! ), so I won't go on about it.

It play's very well, but when I pitted NTai against NTai I noticed the game started to freeze every few minutes after a while, and after about 20 minutes it was freezing for about 20 seconds every minute or so... but then again it could just be because I usually don't have that many units in a game, and my computer can't handle it on the detail levels I have.

Also there were lots of messages about cant find NATOGASP_dead and such, not sure if you know about this.

Oh, and doing .give 50 ctitan and watching them blow a massive hole in the ground when they kill each other with friendly fire is VERY funny :P
Drone_Fragger

Post by Drone_Fragger »

Woo. Shiny. Nice idea for the units :D
Drone_Fragger

Post by Drone_Fragger »

Heh, This sorta plays like the mod I made about 3 months ago. No one even bothered replying in the thread though, And because I don't know how to skin, I couldn't make any units :/
Firenu

Post by Firenu »

also just wanted to mention, kai stalls when trying to build something at closest build site of the Titan, because (im guessing) the unit script doesnt move it far enough to get it out of the area the building will be in (which is on top of the commander, since that was the closest spot). or maybe its just the size of the unit. selecting the titan kinda gives it a small square while the collision box is twice the size

but man this mod really gets busy when the economy is up and running
Firenu

Post by Firenu »

the second attack range thing around all the cheapest drone units, is that some sort of radar thingy?
Firenu

Post by Firenu »

okay it was real weapons. hm. :S the insane ranges gives kai sick advantages, i gotta do some tweaking
smoth

Post by smoth »

Good stuff, if you need help geting a basic wiki together let me know.
Hunter0000

Post by Hunter0000 »

Some various comments ect..

The esplosions when the snipers fire look, well, silly. I imagine you were going for a muzzle flash that would give away their position without having to trace the beam path, and I think that is a great isea but at the moment it looks much to large and throws a LOT of unessisary smoke partilcles all over the place that cause some serious performance hits when lots of snipers are involved.

Missiles! lots of them! sorry if it is supposed to be the hallmark of this race, but I can't help but point out that there are so many missile weapons, the Titan, Radar truck and orbital arty caller all fire missiles and there is a missile drone. I think it would at a bit more variety to the visual aspect of fighting if there was some long-range combat that didnt involve just missiles (yes I know, there are snipers too). What I was thinking is maybe make the orbital weapons that the radar calls in plasma, or maybe some custom shell ect...

Overall though, I really like this whole concept especialy having builders so small, cheap, and as fast are your combat forces. It really lets you mix them in with your attack groups so they repair and build seige forces in the field. I also really like how you can use your Titan to great effect on the battlefield for both offensive and defensive purposes( shield).
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

With the missiles I was pretty much thinking of man-mounted anti-tank missiles and long range missile artillery. I guess I could change the orbital attacks into plasma shots, I was planning one artillery vehicle that shoots plasma shots with high precision and an MBT that uses a plasma weapon as its primary means of attack.

Yes, I'll trim the shot explosions from the script. They are confusing and look bad.

I can't do much about the NTAI crashes, freezes and slowness, at least not to my knowledge. Documentation is pretty sparse about anything.

Currently I'm toying around with making a single-unit faction that has a player start with a super-powered drone that can't build anything (so you'd have to use that one drone to eliminate your enemies). Just because I felt like trying that out.

I'll release the next version when I get the large factory building in.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Version 0.01 has been released. Same URL as before.

It now includes the big unit factory and the Hunted, a faction which has only one unit (its commander) and is probably completely overpowered right now. Haven't had a crash with NTAI lately, maybe one of the changes made it stable again.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

smoth

Post by smoth »

How is it going? I liked where this mod looked like it was going.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I haven't done much with it lately, mostly because of lazyness.
Hunter0000

Post by Hunter0000 »

Some notes for the HUNTED race

1. Make the damn thing bigger. pleeease. Its odd to have the little drone that could, it would be awesome to have the giant drone that does. Also, I would differtiate it from COSMOS drone design.

2. Its weapons dont seem to behave like a one-man army, more as a super-gun. Prehaps it would be better to have light weapons that ring the entire drone in firing arcs so all the light weapons will only be fireing if the drone is surrounded.Then you can have mid-heavy weapons be turreted and the biggest weapon (that laser maybe?) be forward-firing only.

3. Make land ownership inportant. This will be difficult as limiting where builds can be built (besides geos, but most maps dont have enough of those) can be problomatic. But the idea is the more land you own, the more storage you get, the more powerful weapon you can fire (maybe you can only fire the light arced weapons with no land owned)
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Yes, the hunted lacks an individual look. It's just a drone with all parts unhidden. Not sure how I could implement land ownership especially since the hunted isn't supposed to build a base (it's meant to rely on guerilla warfare). In its initial implementation it was very weak, then I boosted its power and now I think it's overpowered. I think I should have it closer to the former than the latter, force it to rely on cloaking to avoid larger numbers of enemies. A complete redesign is probably warranted.

I think I should drop the hunted for now, that's impossible to balance properly and I should finish the final two cosmos units and move on to the chaos (humans). The plan is to have them independent of metal and such, gaining ressources from buildings that have to be spaced out a lot (huge footprint but almost empty yardmap) but also have them have a unit limit (via negative storage, idea taken from nooberhack) so in order to have a large army they need to expand, if they don't they still have to remain aggressive since a cosmos player could amass a huge army while the chaos would have its army size hit a limit and that's it. The units would be slower and less maneuvrable than the cosmos drones and require air transports to deal with water. but I guess I'm just rambling now, at the current pace I'll never get that far.

Apropos water, how does one get hovercrafts to FLOAT?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Well, if anyone cares, I'm gearing up for a LAN I'm going to so I'm working a bit on CvC again:

I've implemented the Main Battle Tank, the thing's a real beast. Very expensive, though.

It also has defense towers now, a machinegun, a lasercannon and a grenade tower. Those are also the secondary weapons mounted on the MBT (and the MG and GL are on the Linebreaker as well). They are scripted to aim in the direction the enemy came from if they have nothing to shoot at, I'm hoping this makes them always face the direction the next attack will come from.

Hovercrafts now stay above water and I've lowered the maxslope for them so terrain has a meaning again.

Overall I'm not doing that much on CvC anymore, it was more of an experiment and the gameplay wasn't planned out beforehand at all. I'm writing up a design doc and preparing stuff and so for a more serious mod. Also I'm working on a script to export an animation from Blender to Spring. I'm not a great animator but I think it'll still look better than the stuff I can script.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Oops, forgot to update this before going to the LAN.

Same address as before.

I didn't manage to make people take a break from freaking Cunterstrike long enough to play it against human players...
mongus

Post by mongus »

oh, btw good mod, keep it up (please?). Cheers. (i love the hunter lasers.. omg.. want xta unit as cool looking as that).
Very insigthfull about gameplay. Just a bit sad about the unit spam.
antiCamper

Post by antiCamper »

I like the shielded commander.
bwansy

Post by bwansy »

Why can't I build the orbital weapon anywhere on the map? Is there a documentation for this map? Does this have anything to do with the "energy level instead of tech advancing" people are talking about?

Return to “Game Releases”