n00berhack! v0.7g released (aka, the monkeylord mod)

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Get it here

n00berhack began with my infinite boredom, and a thread I stumbled upon in the modding forum. That thread was someone requesting a unit - an insanely overpowered unit, as it were. So, I decided to make a small mod for those people who just want insanely overpowered units.

Thus, you could call n00berhack an experiment with balance - balance via making everything overpowered.

Some examples of units, you ask? Well - AKs with annihilator lasers, flashes with rapid fire bertha shells, brawlers that fire beefed up janus missiles in swarms, Shadows that drop nukes as bombs, the Monkeylord from supcom...need I say more? Oh, and the D-Gun range has been tripled.

It has been tested extensively to gain some semblance of balance, but I promise nothing. If you discover a super-game-owning unit, I might fix it, and I might not.

Gameplay is VERY different. the Arm play like a cheap nanoblobs rip off (peewees can build things, and grow exponenetially), while the Core have a (slightly) more traditional set up, with Doomsdays and the commander able to build units, and exploiters providing energy and metal.

Credit to all of the people whose work I ruthlessly bastardized, mostly caydr/AA's. Especially the folks behind the excellent monkeylord - Zwzsg, Wotan, and Rampage. Brilliant work gentlemen.

Requires AA 2.1 or later to play.

Last edited by Nemo on 02 Jul 2006, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

*is uncertain as to whether he should laugh or cry... *
esteroth12

Post by esteroth12 »

well... its a mod with the monkeylord...

(Angerpillar? WTF? O>_<O;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;)
Rayden

Post by Rayden »

nice now i can finally test the monkeylord by myself :)
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

Interesting to say the least.
Charlemagne

Post by Charlemagne »

Damn this sounds insane. Gotta try it! =)
unpossible

Post by unpossible »

damn that monkeylord has a small LOS
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

yeah. They're not really that amazing on their own. However, get them with support (AKs or something), and they can fire across the entire map, most times.
unpossible

Post by unpossible »

Nemo wrote:yeah. They're not really that amazing on their own. However, get them with support (AKs or something), and they can fire across the entire map, most times.
noted :shock: :shock:
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Guessmyname wrote:*is uncertain as to whether he should laugh or cry... *
Same :shock:
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Ah, perhaps this is something new for all the speedmetalers to dig thier claws into :D

Can't argue with the "make shit as cool as possible" game design principle
Slamoid

Post by Slamoid »

SwiftSpear wrote:Can't argue with the "make shit as cool as possible" game design principle
+1! :shock:
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I think you should cut the movement types that aren't used so the load times go down. And maybe include an NTAI profile, it gets the unit spam right but doesn't attack.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Right, I'll do that next version. It should only be ~5 if I get it right.

Also, apparently I need to double all the loading screens so that it doesn't show AA ones. drat.

Any suggestions, if I'm going to put out another version?
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Nemo wrote:Right, I'll do that next version. It should only be ~5 if I get it right.

Also, apparently I need to double all the loading screens so that it doesn't show AA ones. drat.

Any suggestions, if I'm going to put out another version?
Do you have the M.A.D in there yet?
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Sorry about my n00berdom but how do u install this?
Last edited by Zpock on 04 Jul 2006, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

I do not have the MAD. The reason for this being that 1) such a unit would very likely crash spring and 2) its essentially uncounterable. As silly as this mod is, I did strive for some basic equality between the sides. Of course, the games can tip one way or another very, very quickly, and then back again, but the point is that nothing will win the game for you.

AKs are tough - Flashes are tougher. Flashes are powerful - shadow bombs are more powerful. Shadows drop effing nukes - they get shot down in droves by hawks or the comms or sumos. The monkeylord is a beast - it has a huge shield that actually *sucks* weapons fire into it. Ect, ect.

In other news, if there's any interest, I'm going to go through this and make a bunch of smokeless custom explosions, since smoke is one of the biggest CPU hogs for me and other low-power computers. Also see if I can eliminate the smoke from some of the weapons fire.

Edit: To install, just drop in it the /mods folder, like any other mod. Check to make sure that windows didn't change the name to n00berhack7g.zip, rather than n00berhack7g.sdz as it should be.

It requires AA 2.1 or later to play, though.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

oh that was the problem

I have to say, this is a great mod!!!!!!!! Everyone should try it, other modders can learn a lot from it!

I think we need samsons added, and missile towers.otherwise i think u have most of the classics ccovered. perhaps launching a huge swarms of nukes missiles like the raven.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Zpock wrote:oh that was the problem

I have to say, this is a great mod!!!!!!!! Everyone should try it, other modders can learn a lot from it!

I think we need samsons added, and missile towers.otherwise i think u have most of the classics ccovered. perhaps launching a huge swarms of nukes missiles like the raven.
I am hoping to God, Allah, Buddha, and any other stray deities out there that this post is tongue-in-cheek.
DeathHawk

Post by DeathHawk »

Gameplay is VERY different. the Arm play like a cheap nanoblobs rip off (peewees can build things, and grow exponenetially), while the Core have a (slightly) more traditional set up, with Doomsdays and the commander able to build units, and exploiters providing energy and metal.

U forgot to say you stole the Monkeylord off SUPREME COMMANDER!!!! :shock:

Return to “Game Releases”