Spring: 1944 v0.01 Alpha - Page 8

Spring: 1944 v0.01 Alpha

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I wanna play, but I am busy making textures that rival SpikedHelmets..

Damn, he is good..
maestro

Post by maestro »

SpikedHelmet wrote:Image
Travelling through the industrial complex (Map was Severnaya Industrial Complex)
Hi, very beautiful....
Spiky, did u finally solve the UV problem ? or u decide to live with it ? (Upspring limitation ?)....
If so guess I must cope too, and make the aircraft looks a bit awful.... :|
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

You mean the dodgy shading on .s3o models? Yeah, we don't know wtf is wrong with it, still don't know if its Upspring, Spring, or it could be linked to our UVwrap program.

And my textures aren't that good :P

Deathblane:

1. Yay!

2. Micro does give you an advantage, trying to reduce that a bit. One thing I've really found helpful is when your units are attacking the enemy, set them to Patrol towards the enemy rather than move them.

3. High ground was very advantageous... introduction of better guns and artillery should help to deal with high ground (until your enemy puts his own guns up there, then you're fucked!)

4. Like Nemo said this is probably due to them moving... as in No. 2, when you're launching attacks set your troops to PATROL at the enemy instead of simply making them move towards them... that way, they will stop and engage targets as opposed to continuously moving forward and getting slaughtered. For some infantry, like machineguns, snipers, etc, this is the ONLY way to get them to fire as if you don't do this they'll simply keep moving until they reach their destination, getting killed along the way. Setting your troops to "patrol at the enemy" really removes a lot of the micro-ing, since your troops will stop and fire and get good positions on their own.

5. Like Nemo also said, flags can only be killed by your troops being close to them...

6. I found this too, and that going to whole-map-view mode was very helpful when things got heavy. Which is good. When battles are small you can zoom in to control things tightly, when things get massive you can zoom out to control lots of different things at once.

Thanks for the kudos! And don't worry, once more/better units get out, like artillery and tank gun and such, hills shouldn't be too much of a problem.
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Btw I don't know if anyone thinks so, but I was NOT involved in the making of that Severnaya map.. <_<
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

4. Like Nemo said this is probably due to them moving... as in No. 2, when you're launching attacks set your troops to PATROL at the enemy instead of simply making them move towards them...
No, that's the outdated way. 73b1 introduced the Fight command which is the same but doesn't repeat.
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

KDR_11k wrote:
4. Like Nemo said this is probably due to them moving... as in No. 2, when you're launching attacks set your troops to PATROL at the enemy instead of simply making them move towards them...
No, that's the outdated way. 73b1 introduced the Fight command which is the same but doesn't repeat.
:O SWEET!!!!!!
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Mmm, Storch...

j5mello

Post by j5mello »

FEAR THE Luftwaffe!!!!!

so what if its only a recon plane?
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Make the Stuka, damnit! Hehehe....
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I think you should make the weapon which infantry use to damage flags, and make them damage buildings as well, so that infantry standing next to an enemy structure for a reasonable amount of time will 'tear it down'.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Ground decals FTW.
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

I think you should make the weapon which infantry use to damage flags, and make them damage buildings as well
Or just give them grenades...
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

That could potentially upstet balance, with your anti-infantry grenades also having to fill an anti-structure role. It means you can't really give buildings much armour/health (or have to give 'nades special damages, which could look odd).

Using the flag-capture weapon allows you to abstract building destruction from grenades, which allows you to scale building armour to the later, more powerful weapon, but still allows infantry to be capable of damaging buildings.
BvDorp

Post by BvDorp »

this mod.. freaking.. pwns! Imagine what FPS mode could do here :twisted: :twisted:
knorke

Post by knorke »

SpikedHelmet wrote:Mmm, Storch...

cool 8)
Only aircraft where it doesn't matter that Spring can only have VTOL-planes...
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:That could potentially upstet balance, with your anti-infantry grenades also having to fill an anti-structure role. It means you can't really give buildings much armour/health (or have to give 'nades special damages, which could look odd).

Using the flag-capture weapon allows you to abstract building destruction from grenades, which allows you to scale building armour to the later, more powerful weapon, but still allows infantry to be capable of damaging buildings.
:roll: Grenades work just fine.
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Okay, new feature: We're going to introduce "Veteran upgrades" for units.

These upgrades will take the form of improved weaponry or armour, along with the usual hitpoint upgrade. They will include such things as:

German Kar 98K riflemen will replace their weapons with G43 semi-auto rifle; German MP40 will replace his weapon with StG 44.

Soviet Mosin-Nagant riflemen will get SVT-40 semi-auto rifle; PPSch-41 SMG infantry will replace his stick grenade with RPG-43 HEAT grenade.

US M1 Garand riflemen will either replace his weapon with the M1 Carbine (higher rate-of-fire) or replace his grenade with rifle grenade launcher (longer rang grenade); US Thompson will replace his weapon with M2 Carbine fully-automatic rifle.

British No. 4 riflemen will replace his grenades with a rifle grenade launcher; British Sten SMG infantry will replace grenades with Gammon (anti-tank) bombs.

Other upgrades will take place. Below is a list of potential upgrades:

Vehicles -- veteran vehicle crews may have speed boosts.
Tanks -- veteran crews may add extra armour to their tanks, or have more accurate/faster firing weapons.
Aircraft -- veteran fighters may have extra armour added, or have increased speed.
Artillery -- Artillery may have accuracy or rate-of-fire increase.

This will largely be unnoticable to the player but still have an effect on his forces, as obviously, upgrades will improve his veteran units.

Thoughts? Ideas? Personally I think tank upgrades should be in the form of a better main gun (more accurate, including on the move, better rate of fire). Aircraft could also go either armour or speed, or perhaps fighters go speed and bombers go armour.. that way, we can simulate bombers taking damage to engines and losing speed via damage (which would be more complicated if veterancy gave a speed boost via script), and fighters would get the speed (ie, more experienced pilot who can push his fighter more). Artillery, like tanks, should get better gunnery.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Holy crap, the more I look at it, the more my mod looks like its yours, but in the future! Most of our units will have veteran levels and boosts/swapped weapons...
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

That happens with realism mods. :P

Oh noes! The Americans are coming!

Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Are you going to chop up into nations or factions?

Return to “Game Releases”