Absolute Annihilation: Spring 1.46 - Page 4

Absolute Annihilation: Spring 1.46

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

aspa

Post by aspa »

Is it possible to make lasers do low damage but push away units like explosions do? If the beamer did that it'd be pretty interesting. You'd have to be careful with placement to make sure the units are kept out of your base instead of getting boosted straight into it...
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

SwiftSpear wrote:I'm a against a wreak removing missle. It's just asking people to comm bomb and then erase the wreak a second later before there's a chance to reclaim or ressurrect it. Com wreaks and kroggie wreaks are worth way more then the inconvienience of being stopped up to a small degree. A bulldozer is a far better option because it prevents players from using it to high value wreaks that they drove headlong into enemy territory. It encourages careless play.
I'd imagine that it could be tweaked to only remove wrecks with certain values, since I'm reasonably sure that the more HP a unit has, the harder its wreck is to kill once it dies.

I'm talking being able to clear things like flash or level 1 kbot corpses, or maybe use a few to kill level 2 corpses.

Besides, I'd imagine that the range on this wouldn't be very large, and any map where you can build a kroggy is 1) big and 2) metal rich/big enough to let you build a moho maker economy. Which means that you'd have to be planting these things reasonably close to the enemy's base.

*shrug* I think it would be a solid addition to the mod, if balanced properly.

A bulldozer could work, but I think that it would end up suffering from the same problem as a con unit.

Edit: FYI, impulsefactor values can be negative, so they the weapon throws units back towards the direction of the impact. Drastic ones tend to be crash prone, but a landmine with light tractor beam would be a neat gimick.
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

as funky pointed out - use a fark, bot etc, no need for a missile to destroy 5000 metal you can use for your army, if the defenses keep hitting your farks, attack and reclaim while your units draw their fire or somethin

anyway, what the hell you gonna call a missile that removes scrap from the battlefield? - it cant possibly have a cool name - so it cant be included for that reason alone :) hehe
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

Call it the Thief, because it will not only rob you of metal that could be gained to fund your own economy, but also robs you of the cover all those corpse's give to gain easy acess to that same spot.

And btw, who in their right mind would actually want something like that.. really.

I have better things to spend my metal and energy on. There are better ways of dealing with metal piles, and smarter ways to use it.

Worst Idea ever.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

MR.D wrote:Call it the Thief, because it will not only rob you of metal that could be gained to fund your own economy, but also robs you of the cover all those corpse's give to gain easy acess to that same spot.

And btw, who in their right mind would actually want something like that.. really.

I have better things to spend my metal and energy on. There are better ways of dealing with metal piles, and smarter ways to use it.

Worst Idea ever.
Agreed.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Well, here's a bit more reasoning:

Wreckage blocks tanks. It slows their advance. If you attack and don't finish it, but have another wave to send, you don't want to be tripping over your old corpses - and you want to rob (the Theif is a perfect name <_<) the enemy of the metal from your last attack.

OF COURSE it would be better to reclaim it. But often that's not an option, and trying to micro an army of vehicles through a wreckage field while they get slaughtered by things isn't my idea of a good time. But, you say, "lololol go around newb." Well, when was the last time any of you played on small divide? If you go vehicle, climbing the hills isn't really an option. Of course going kbot solves this, but then you don't have much of a way to dislodge an enemy porced up in the middle of the map (between the two mountains).

After a few attacks, things just turn even MORE in favor of the defending player, since your units get trapped in wreckage and can't fire/advance. Once again, this is just frustrating. Yes, I'd love to be able to zip in there with my level one con units (notice, this silo would be buildable by a level 1 con unit) and reclaim all of the metal. The only problem is that they get shot, and leave even more wrecks. Oh dear. I can't draw fire because there's nowhere to draw fire TO. The tanks just get trapped themselves, and make the problem even worse. Now, you're stuck waiting for the other guy to reclaim it, or you invest and go air.

This is an addition to level one gameplay. This is less of an issue for level two, since some vehicles crush wreckage. Farks could work, but they ain't cheap themselves, and I'd rather not risk a few of them to suck up a handful of blocking flash corpses. Same goes for the consuls. They're good, but they can't instantly reclaim things, and I don't want them dead either.

Look, I know what this would mean for gameplay, and strategy. I'm sick of watching my assaults get bogged down and create impassable (and easily porcable) chokepoints. Wreckage is a great addition to TA's gameplay - hell, it MAKES a good portion of TA's gameplay, but if properly balanced, this would only add to it.

And if you were too lazy to read all that, and are still going to reply, I have two words: Dragonsteeth buster.

Edit: The fact that it removes metal completely is how its balanced. You have to actually THINK before using this weapon - are you going to control that spot soon, and thus all the corpses, or is it more of an advantage to have a clear attacking route/deny the enemy the metal?
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

I'd like a relatively quick, small but powerful armored tank, which when killed has a small explosion which prevents it from leaving a corpse. Even better would be if it were resistant to lasers. Would be expensive, but useful for those small chokepoints which your opponent defends with a couple of HLT's and a plasma battery.
BigSteve

Post by BigSteve »

I agree with mr d and fa... worst idea, ever, totally pointless - no offense -

think FTW!
Journier

Post by Journier »

I also agree with big steve and the rest.

not only is this idea useless, its already semi implemented into the game

build a nano lathe turret by your own turrets. if you are that desperate to clear wreckage, the nano lathe will reach quit a distance to wreckage and salvage it for you.

This wholy bs about bulldozers that can go out and take hits and clear wreckage is useless.

How about we keep AA the way it is, just balance the unit costs, and such? so one side is just as fair as the other side.

sides meaning CORE and ARM.
Chocapic

Post by Chocapic »

i think arm has allways had an edge
Journier

Post by Journier »

each side has its bonus's because of odd unit cost problems. compared to the other sides unit cost.
smokeynseinor

Post by smokeynseinor »

OTA AA had missile that the mine layer fired and it cleared trees and wreckage within a certain radius. Smaller wreckages would of course be destroyed easier than say a Krogoth corpse which would require a lot of missiles. As far as I know this was only abolished because in OTA it could be used to destroy the LRPC Fortress walls.

I would like to see this return.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

And i'm gonna stress this one more time, AK's are bugged aswell

just like gators, they just refuse to shoot sometimes

and AK's are used early game so you are kinda depending on them.. and then if they don't shoot it's ver frustating!
Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn »

NOiZE wrote:And i'm gonna stress this one more time, AK's are bugged aswell

and AK's are used early game so you are kinda depending on them.. and then if they don't shoot it's ver frustating!
Which NOiZE found out by his personal experience :P. I though they shoot but I could be wrong.
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

well most of the time they DO shoot but sometimes they don't

Also later in game the commander builds slow while other construction units build faster whats up with that?
Hansolo88

Post by Hansolo88 »

So you guys are talking about a "Daisy Cutter" style munition, which clears debris/trees/etc. from an area. A cool idea, I think it should be launched from a small mobile missile launcher. It would be neat if it had a sonic shockwave kind of effect that also lightly damaged units in the area, depending on how close they were to the blast. What effect should it have on buildings? Either way, it shouldn't deform terrain at all, as the point is to create a clear line of fire or alley of movement.
.funkymp

Post by .funkymp »

use crawling bombs people! they only take a short time to build and there pretty cheap if it bothers you that much
Chocapic

Post by Chocapic »

Hellspawn wrote:
NOiZE wrote:And i'm gonna stress this one more time, AK's are bugged aswell

Which NOiZE found out by his personal experience :P. I though they shoot but I could be wrong.
it has to do with their "turret" turning speed just like gators.
unlike peewees theirs are slow to turn
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

I just want to know, can all units be stunned in AA ? I know the Commander's supposedly immune (or atleast VERY hard to stun), but what about Orcones and Krogoths ?
smokeynseinor

Post by smokeynseinor »

Caydr how about putting the Lemming (OTA AA small lvl 1 crawling bomb) back in but so it only destroys debris and trees just like you and BSR intended?
That is what it was intended for in OTA but it failed miserably but with spring I dont see why it shouldn't be capable of doing its job properly.

Yes no?

Return to “Game Releases”