AATA Beta 0.9 - Page 6

AATA Beta 0.9

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

well i just bombed the depot and everything in it, no crash. :(

Was this a multiplayer game or vs. an AI?
heroesdoexist07

Post by heroesdoexist07 »

OK, the .sdz file was in the /mods directory the whole time, but i just discovered that there was ANOTHER mod in the base directory. I got rid of that, and the error message disappeared. I was able to choose my starting position, got the 3...2...1...countdown, and then was hit with another error message:

File not found armcom.3do (or something of that nature. Not an exact copy of the message)

I'm gonna try a fresh install of Spring...if that doesn't work, then :evil:

[EDIT] Ok, it works now...musta done some crap with my Spring directory.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

People should not make crude mods! :lol:

There is really no excuse :x

Anywho, glad you got it working!
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

I was screwing around in SP because there are no multiplayer servers up for AATA
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

No AIs though?

Hmmm. Can you reproduce the crash yourself?
raikitsune

Post by raikitsune »

i was playing 1v1 multiplayer and just after i performed a bombing run with a stuka on my opponents base when the stuka was hit by flak i crashed and restarted he said his came up with "floating error." dunno if thats any use.
heroesdoexist07

Whoa, WHOA! Planes?!?! Lol both the Luftwaffe and USAAF engineers' icons are blank, and when I try to build any aircraft factory, the tiles are yellow and I can't place it. Que?
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Certain buildings in AATA are built on geothermal vents.
heroesdoexist07

Ah, shit Bruce, way to make me feel like your icon...

What i've seen so far kicks extreme ass! Jumbo may have a few too many hitpoints for my taste, though, if speaking in terms of realism. Maybe 1.5 or 2x as many as a stock Sherman, but 3x? Nah. The late-game tank of choice should be the easy 8, not the Jumbo. The jumbo should be the first tank in a formation to soak up the shots, not make it up imho. Did you give it a 75 or 76.2? I'm hoping 75...

Are you planning to add the T-34 Calliope, Nebelwerfer, Ford GMC (the amphibious jeep, forget its name)? Do schurzen do anything at this point? If possible, they should protect agaisnt bazooka, shreck and faust shots by some percentage
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Jumbo has the 75. It also has about as much armour as a Tiger.

Calliope was hardly used. There are 4 types of Nebelwerfer to choose from (try the Assault Yard); two towed (150mm, 300mm) and two mounted on halftracks (150mm, 300mm).
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

raikitsune wrote:i was playing 1v1 multiplayer and just after i performed a bombing run with a stuka on my opponents base when the stuka was hit by flak i crashed and restarted he said his came up with "floating error." dunno if thats any use.
Floating point division by 0 errors?

Had them elsewhere, not sure what causes them. :(

And yes, airfields are the only thing without buildpics, and are built on geothermals, to limit the amount you can produce.

Having a quick look skirts don't do anything atm. Spiked is redoing all the weapons though, so I'm sure they can be taken into consideration then.
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Skirts add 5 hp. Wow.

They're just pretty things. Can someone tell me how I could use them? I can't think of anything that wouldn't be incredibly complex script-wise and would ultimately be too much hassle for what it's worth.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

SpikedHelmet wrote:Skirts add 5 hp. Wow.

They're just pretty things. Can someone tell me how I could use them? I can't think of anything that wouldn't be incredibly complex script-wise and would ultimately be too much hassle for what it's worth.
Have HEAT weapons be say, 20% (arbitrary number) less effective vs units with skirts.
heroesdoexist07

Ok, i'll check the nebelwerfers later. I got kicked off the comp before I got to that factory last night :wink:

About the schurzen...is it possible to lower damage from certain weapongroups by a percentage? Something like the bazooka, faust, and schreck only deal 40% due to them being forced to shoot for the front or rear. (IIRC, Spring can't do location-based damage. I couldn't ask you to, for example, have seperate damage values for each side. Insane!)

There should be some way to implement the M3A1 Greasegun for the US. The no-brainer approach would be to make it cheaper than the Thompson, have longer range, but a lower firing rate. I have a few more weapons suggestions, just for completeness' sake.

1. MG34 - and this weapon will probably be used by no one. More expensive and longer to produce than the MG42. I'd say make it a bit more accurate just to preserve some meager glimmer of usefullness. I've heard that AATA is a mod that loves having excessive weaponry, well, you need the '34!
2. FG42/FG42z - I'm unsure whether I'd rather see this included as a sniper rifle or BAR equivalent. I think it would be fitting to include it as a sniper rifle with shorter range, faster firing rate vs. the American Springfield. (This would continue the trend you started with the MG42 vs. .30 Cal...I love that idea. Literally.)
3. Do you have the Wurfgerat? I don't remember seeing it, but I haven't made it to that factory yet. I'd say make this the equivalent to the American M4A1 mortar carrier halftrack - you guessed it - shorter range, faster firing.
4. I am one of the worst registered RTS players in the world, I believe. But from what I've seen of the game, there aren't many real huge end-game units to work towards. I'm not sure if they would fit in with the tone of AATA, but Dora and the Karl Morser are your Big Berthas. Now I'm waiting for the Russians and Sevastopol lol. There's other big stuff out there...the E-100, Maus, T-28, M-26 Pershing, Enola Gay (and Bock's Car). Let me just say that I couldn't be a more mild proponent of these superweapons. It would be fine with me if none of them were included...I appreciate a realistic game more than one with those badass weapons. They're out there.
5. M3 Grant/Lee. They played a huge role in North Africa, and deserve a place more than some of the more obscure vehicles you've included.
6. I'm not too clear on this, but wasn't the only change between the M3 and M5 Stuart a different engine and transmission? Wouldn't this net a change in speed and acceleration rather than increase in hitpoints?
7. I'm still not comfortable with the Jumbo being that tough, but i'm sure it'll pass.
8. I swear to God I'll stop nitpicking by 10.
9. How does the Deep Fording Sherman work? Can you explain the code to me in layman's terms? I haven't tested it too much, but it seemed...reluctant to enter the water. The Amphtrac and DUKW had some issues when I tested them as well, they would only move when I was in 1st person. I have no clue about code, the ball's in your park.
10. What are the limits on sound files you can use for firing and reloading weapons? It would be great if you could use more realistic sounds for the infy. While I don't personally know any sound coders, Bratwurst from the FH forums (http://www.fhmod.org, click on forums, general discussion) might be able to help. He has the best bolt-action sounds I've ever heard.

Well, that's it for now. Good work!
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

heroesdoexist07 wrote:4. I am one of the worst registered RTS players in the world, I believe. But from what I've seen of the game, there aren't many real huge end-game units to work towards. I'm not sure if they would fit in with the tone of AATA, but Dora and the Karl Morser are your Big Berthas. Now I'm waiting for the Russians and Sevastopol lol. There's other big stuff out there...the E-100, Maus, T-28, M-26 Pershing, Enola Gay (and Bock's Car). Let me just say that I couldn't be a more mild proponent of these superweapons. It would be fine with me if none of them were included...I appreciate a realistic game more than one with those badass weapons. They're out there.
If "superweapons" are put into AATA in the same sense that they're in Absolute Annihilation (or, God forbid, the XTA Krogoth), I will personally track down each and every one of you and administer justice. Not that the inclusion of such "superweapons" is something that I expect to have to worry about, but consider yourselves warned...

Agreed on the M3 Grant/Lee.

Mind if I take a look at the alpha-beta as well?
heroesdoexist07

Lol you'd fit right in at FH. There're guys there who kill at the mention of the word Maus. I'm just fine with reality!

I built me some airfields, and I'm starting to like the attention to detail in this mod...the variable supply depots, the wingguns having more spread than the nosegun of the P-38, etc. Why does the interceptor mustang have 1 weapon whereas the P-47 has 3? I'm wondering how the coding went for that. What are the comparative weapon loadouts, speed, acceleration, and maneuverability of the 4 American fighters?

EDIT: When the American bomber pit is selected, a German voice plays. Why does the B-25 take 9000 time to build, while the P-40, P-47, P-38, and P-51 take longer in the ground attack hangar? (I believe they're around 11,000 each). Would you consider adding more bombers? The B-26, B-24, B-17, B-29, B-18, A-36 Apache, etc. You might also want to slap the Grasshopper into the bomber pit and make it a light transport. You know, Jeep of the sky?

ANOTHER EDIT: The A-20 costs less than the other aircraft at the ground attack base as well. I can't get the C-47 to load anything, but maybe that's my own fault. The P-38 recon bomber drops the same number of bombs as the B-25 and A-20......i'm thinking 9 is a little much for the poor Lightning lol.

EDIT AGAIN: I understand that the R4M rockets are designed ONLY for anti-bomber work....well, I can smell some 1st person abuse, hehehe. Only problem is, since American rockets are treated like bombs (i assume thats how they work) it's a little harder to use them from FPS. Can you change them to direct fire, if they aren't already? Also, I ain't buying that the FW-190 'Dora' costs more than the ME-262. Nope lol. The German 30mm cannon sound is very staticky and bugged.
Last edited by heroesdoexist07 on 04 Jan 2006, 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Wheeeeeeeew! :shock: lots ofquestions, I'll answer as best I can, but Spiked would probably be better:
heroesdoexist07 wrote:Ok, i'll check the nebelwerfers later. I got kicked off the comp before I got to that factory last night :wink:

About the schurzen...is it possible to lower damage from certain weapongroups by a percentage? Something like the bazooka, faust, and schreck only deal 40% due to them being forced to shoot for the front or rear. (IIRC, Spring can't do location-based damage. I couldn't ask you to, for example, have seperate damage values for each side. Insane!)
AsI suggested, probably just have HEAT weapons do specific damage to units with skirts, either a specific one for all of them, or as a % decrease.
There should be some way to implement the M3A1 Greasegun for the US. The no-brainer approach would be to make it cheaper than the Thompson, have longer range, but a lower firing rate. I have a few more weapons suggestions, just for completeness' sake.
Hmmm, people already complain at A&A being 'bloated'...
1. MG34 - and this weapon will probably be used by no one. More expensive and longer to produce than the MG42. I'd say make it a bit more accurate just to preserve some meager glimmer of usefullness. I've heard that AATA is a mod that loves having excessive weaponry, well, you need the '34!
MG34 will be presentonly as a vehicle mounted machine gun - again, multiple same-role infantry units would be overkill! :P
2. FG42/FG42z - I'm unsure whether I'd rather see this included as a sniper rifle or BAR equivalent. I think it would be fitting to include it as a sniper rifle with shorter range, faster firing rate vs. the American Springfield. (This would continue the trend you started with the MG42 vs. .30 Cal...I love that idea. Literally.)
I don't see how the FG42 could possibly be sniper... and Germany currently lacks its paras (as does the US) until the engine has support for such a thing.
3. Do you have the Wurfgerat? I don't remember seeing it, but I haven't made it to that factory yet. I'd say make this the equivalent to the American M4A1 mortar carrier halftrack - you guessed it - shorter range, faster firing.
I have pestered Spiked to add the Sdkfz 250/7 (which replaced the Sdkfz 251/2 in the mortar role) It's pending details on how heavily it was used.
4. I am one of the worst registered RTS players in the world, I believe. But from what I've seen of the game, there aren't many real huge end-game units to work towards. I'm not sure if they would fit in with the tone of AATA, but Dora and the Karl Morser are your Big Berthas. Now I'm waiting for the Russians and Sevastopol lol. There's other big stuff out there...the E-100, Maus, T-28, M-26 Pershing, Enola Gay (and Bock's Car). Let me just say that I couldn't be a more mild proponent of these superweapons. It would be fine with me if none of them were included...I appreciate a realistic game more than one with those badass weapons. They're out there.
Superweapons pack, eventually. Many of them were in ye olde betas long gone, but remove due to stringent usage policy.
5. M3 Grant/Lee. They played a huge role in North Africa, and deserve a place more than some of the more obscure vehicles you've included.
This is probably why:
The M3 was ordered straight from the drawing board and Baldwin and the American Locomotive Company each made pilot models by April 1941. Production began in August 1941 and ended in December 1942.

It was intended only as a stopgap tank before the M4 Shermans arrived. When the M4 started production the M3 was designated Substitute Standard in October 1941. In April 1943, they were classified as Limited Standard and in April 1944 were classified as obsolete
AATA is focused more on the latter half of the war, '43-'45
6. I'm not too clear on this, but wasn't the only change between the M3 and M5 Stuart a different engine and transmission? Wouldn't this net a change in speed and acceleration rather than increase in hitpoints?
7. I'm still not comfortable with the Jumbo being that tough, but i'm sure it'll pass.
8. I swear to God I'll stop nitpicking by 10.
Spiked questions.
9. How does the Deep Fording Sherman work? Can you explain the code to me in layman's terms? I haven't tested it too much, but it seemed...reluctant to enter the water. The Amphtrac and DUKW had some issues when I tested them as well, they would only move when I was in 1st person. I have no clue about code, the ball's in your park.
What map? All are somewhat finicky... the fording sherman can only go so deep, wheares the DD/DUKW/LVT float and should be able to go on any.
10. What are the limits on sound files you can use for firing and reloading weapons? It would be great if you could use more realistic sounds for the infy. While I don't personally know any sound coders, Bratwurst from the FH forums (http://www.fhmod.org, click on forums, general discussion) might be able to help. He has the best bolt-action sounds I've ever heard.
Few, except only one sound per weapon shot and per unit selection (though TA allowed multiple for unit selection).
Well, that's it for now. Good work!
Thank you!
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

heroesdoexist07 wrote: I built me some airfields, and I'm starting to like the attention to detail in this mod...the variable supply depots, the wingguns having more spread than the nosegun of the P-38, etc. Why does the interceptor mustang have 1 weapon whereas the P-47 has 3? I'm wondering how the coding went for that. What are the comparative weapon loadouts, speed, acceleration, and maneuverability of the 4 American fighters?
some weapons have f.ex. 4x fire rate and are scripted tomove between points. Spiked is redoing all the weapons for Spring so that each weapon is a different instance (Spring supports 16 weapons per unit)
EDIT: When the American bomber pit is selected, a German voice plays.
Damn, I fixed that, must have been lost with the messing around with FBIs, easy to fix it again. Apologies!
Why does the B-25 take 9000 time to build, while the P-40, P-47, P-38, and P-51 take longer in the ground attack hangar? (I believe they're around 11,000 each).
Bug Spiked :P
Would you consider adding more bombers? The B-26, B-24, B-17, B-29, B-18, A-36 Apache, etc. You might also want to slap the Grasshopper into the bomber pit and make it a light transport. You know, Jeep of the sky?
B-26 is in the buildtree but hasn't been done yet, as well as another B-25 version, and the A-26. AATA is not to have heavy strategic bombers as they don't fit the scale of the combat... medium bombers can already trounce a game sizedbase, a B-17 would be insane! Otherwise production numberscome into play. As for the L4/Fi156... Maybe.
ANOTHER EDIT: The A-20 costs less than the other aircraft at the ground attack base as well.
Another for Spiked.
I can't get the C-47 to load anything, but maybe that's my own fault.

It's broken. I keep meaning to getting around to redoing transport scripts, the C-47 being the most important.
The P-38 recon bomber drops the same number of bombs as the B-25 and A-20......i'm thinking 9 is a little much for the poor Lightning lol.
Engine bug probably - Spring has some weirdness with hardcoded bombs.
heroesdoexist07

You guys are great, it's a pleasure to work with you! Continuing my SP adventures...I'm through with all of the plants except the German bomber, SPG, and armor. I'm guessing that you have another Stuka varient or two in the bomber plant. From what I heard, the Kanonenvogel came into service in Spring 1943 (Totally a pun!), but wasn't particularly common. It only fires from one barrel but that should be fixed when you revamp the weapons. I was thinking it'd be nice if you included a bomber version in that plant as well, but I can't make much of a suggestion since i know nothing about balance and those other complicated things. For some reason the Storch has 3 weapons (visible in FPS) but they won't fire. Damn, I love the Storch, too. I flew one in an RPG once....stole it from a WWII airshow and took out an FBI car by dropping a TV on it.

Damn, Spring crashed. I tried to FPS a German Panzer engineer, it crashed when I hit C. Probably nothing, though, i may have tricked it. I selected and clicked wicked fast.

In all honesty i have to say this is the best mod I've played for Spring, even by myself. I'm a sucker for realism. This is great stuff. Please, PLEASE tell me someone has AIM? My sn is the same as my name here.

EDIT: Ah, wow, i just realized half of my suggestions were on the to-do list anyway. IIRC, the FG42 was occasionally fitted with a 2.5x scope. It fired the full 7.92mm Mauser round.

Didn't know that you were focusing on the late war. I'll look at the german tanks later though, it's dinner time!
raikitsune

Post by raikitsune »

heroesdoexist07 wrote: In all honesty i have to say this is the best mod I've played for Spring, even by myself. I'm a sucker for realism. This is great stuff.
Ditto! (even if i can't play i at the moment my computer died i'm on a laptop O_O)

Return to “Game Releases”