Alpha domination

Alpha domination

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

sunspot

Alpha domination

Post by sunspot »

K it took a while but version 0.01 of my gameplay type is playable :)

http://www.gravegast.be/~sunspot/temp/

The balance is probably still way off but try it , see if it's fun if you have a few people playing eachother. If not we'll go back to the drawingboards and work on the unit balance a bit. If you don't believe the map is fit for the gamestyle please point me to a map that would be. Or maybe ... if you have some spare time ... make one :D

anyhow enjoy
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: Alpha domination

Post by zwzsg »

Aww, using illegally stolen Cavedog assets.
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

Can you legally steal something? :-)
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

Sure, like if you don't pay the government, it can legally steal your furniture. (What's the english for "huissier?")

Anyway, at second glance it appears these are remake of the TA models, not the original ones. I still wish free'er models had been used.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Can you legally steal something? :-)

some things i noticed in a quick test:
UI windows are positioned a bit strange, is this an error or just WIP?
(I know they can be moved but still default should be somewhat nicer)

when toggling buttons like repeat, cloaked etc, the command window flickers for a moment.

commanders can not be attacked?
wont build just walk around and capture things while ignoring the armies?

the capturable objectives can be destroyed, what happens if all are destroyed?

artillery range seems really short, it hardly shots further then the tank?

non-TA models would indeed be nicer.

objectives should have bigger/more impressive models to make it clear they are valuable.

The map actually seems fitting for this type of gameplay.
smoth

Post by smoth »

An usher z
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

zwzsg wrote:Sure, like if you don't pay the government, it can legally steal your furniture. (What's the english for "huissier?")

Anyway, at second glance it appears these are remake of the TA models, not the original ones. I still wish free'er models had been used.
From the context, I think the English counterpart would be seize or confiscate. That's usually the terminology used when we talk about the government taking someone's property.
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

knorke wrote:(I know they can be moved but still default should be somewhat nicer)

when toggling buttons like repeat, cloaked etc, the command window flickers for a moment.

commanders can not be attacked?
wont build just walk around and capture things while ignoring the armies?

the capturable objectives can be destroyed, what happens if all are destroyed?

artillery range seems really short, it hardly shots further then the tank?

non-TA models would indeed be nicer.

objectives should have bigger/more impressive models to make it clear they are valuable.

The map actually seems fitting for this type of gameplay.
Yeah I had some problems with the defaults with different resolutions, so I just put in my install instructions that they can alter the size and positions

The flicker comes from a redraw of the entire panel when you have a commandChanged command. I'm not exactly sure how I can prevent that

The commanders are indeed not meant to be destroyed, since you should always be able to rebuild your army. But maybe I have to make a capture unit that can be destroyed. So what you say can't happen ?

If the capturable objectives can be destroyed then there is a bug I need to look into, This shouldn't happen ! Well I've tried a test game and put some shots on a captured objective and I can't get it destroyed ? How exactly did you destroy it ? Btw the defense structures can be destroyed, they are meant to be resurrected. They should have nearly everlasting wrecks and always drop a wreck.

I can make the artillery range bigger if it's to short, but I don't want to make them shoot to far either

Well about the models , I'm not really a gfx artist, beherits models I might be able to use ... but but but ... it's core ... :(

about the objectives , well not a modeller :( I'm just a code monkey, I could try ofcourse but I fear the results
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Core is awesome, arm is lolghey.

Also, don't reuse stolen assets.

Nice BA loadscreens.

Using BA for a starting point for a new project is a ridiculous mistake. Much of BA is very old and outdated thanks to the engine devs catering to it and breaking their backs to remain backwards compatible for it.

Point of the game isn't clear at all. Instructions don't say anything about what the point of the game is.

Don't end sentences with prepositions.

Loading it up and immediately seeing TA models immediately turned me off of it.

Commanders can't be attacked and the instructions state no clear reason why not.

etc.

Edit: First iteration of evo looked like shit but that didn't stop me. Use kaiser's lego set. You don't even have to know how to model.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Yeah I had some problems with the defaults with different resolutions, so I just put in my install instructions that they can alter the size and positions
while that is fine for testing you can not expect players to adjust their UI before they can start playing.
Btw the defense structures can be destroyed, they are meant to be resurrected.
yes, i meant those. not a bug then.
The commanders are indeed not meant to be destroyed
you might get situations where players just stand around an objective and capture it back and forth, endlessly, which would be a bit lame gameplay wise.
maybe any unit should be able to capture, just by going near?

And the models are really one of those things that could make this go from "chili UI tech demo" to "real game."

huissier = repo man?
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

knorke wrote: you might get situations where players just stand around an objective and capture it back and forth, endlessly, which would be a bit lame gameplay wise.
maybe any unit should be able to capture, just by going near?

And the models are really one of those things that could make this go from "chili UI tech demo" to "real game."
You might be right, and I'll make another unit especially for capturing objectives. It will have a bunch of armor so it can withstand a beating but it will die eventually. I'll release version 0.02 tomorrow evening with this unit and take away capture and ressurection from the commander.

I've also doubled the range of the artillery unit, but kept it's los settings. So you'll need another unit to provide LOS so it can fire.

and about the models, yeah I kinda get it , you guys don't like models being "stolen" from cavedog. But as I said it before, I'm not that artistic. And for the moment I like to get the gameplay sound. I'll try , and I do mean TRY to get that kaisers lego kit working. Although I have no idea how, since guess what no tutorial so I'll have to figure everything out AGAIN :(
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

No offense, but other than this: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22283

What do you need? A flashing neon sign?

The texture is already done. Also, if you're going to be doing your own project, even if it's small, you're gonna have to learn how to do this stuff. Also, people around here are pretty supportive of new projects when there is obvious work being done, so you'll have plenty of people to ask.

Crapping out 7 units using legos shouldn't really take much longer than an afternoon really. You could export a cube and it would still look better than the cavedog models.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Forb take it down a notch man

Doing art is a frustrating sidetrack from coding and sun doesn't want to Change gears just yet. If he did people would start nitpicking that anyway. Let him hammer out the gameplay for now
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

If you need free Spring models:

About every KDR_11k minimods use a CC or PD license. His models are usually simple and flat colored, but then it would fit your mod if you're going after gameplay rather than graphic. Link: http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=23945

Zero-K uses a CC license allowing remixes. Link: http://zero-k.info & http://code.google.com/p/zero-k/

Conflict Terra says it is PD/GPL : http://www.moddb.com/games/conflict-terra & http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=25826

EvoRTS is a CC that is ND (no derivative), so do not use it.

Seems Spring1944 allows models to be reused too? http://spring1944.net

There's Spring ModelBase : http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=19049

And probably more ....
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Well about the models , I'm not really a gfx artist
like others said, legozzzz. u just move pieces around, thats all.
Core is awesome, arm is lolghey.
lol. joker.
knorke

Post by knorke »

ou guys don't like models being "stolen" from cavedog.
It is just that those models were/are already in tons of different projects and just seeing them tires people and make them go "meh."

Maybe just make a thread in art&modeling asking for units to be put in the game. Remembering all the stuff I've seen in the random WIP thread there seem to be tons of textured&scripted units that never made it into a game, sitting around on various HDDs...
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i dont rly get that ba-content drama. i assume he wanted to create different gameplay for BA, so...

ujelly!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

smoth wrote:Forb take it down a notch man
Please stop assuming that I am pissed off. It's incredibly annoying.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

teh paradox !
knorke

Post by knorke »

Wombat wrote:i assume he wanted to create different gameplay for BA
I think people think that because of the TA models.
I think he does not want that but instead makes a stand-alone game.
think think think

Return to “Game Releases”