Tech Annihilation v2.01 - Page 2

Tech Annihilation v2.01

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

pintle

Re: Tech Annihilation v2.01

Post by pintle »

I love the constant trolling; comparisons between a fully fledged intelligently designed game and a random UH unit mash up TA derivative.

Of course majority consumption is the only indicator of quality, just look to all the other avenues of life where that is 100% supported by empirical evidence...

Reason S44 playerbase dropped proportional to *A? = The majority of people playing Spring do not want a challenging and deep RTS, they want to make the robots then make the robots make other robots explode! If something catering to morons does well, don't use that to deride the work of others with more talent, it just makes you look like a dick.
smoth

Post by smoth »

To better address pintle's point, it isn't about BA being more popular. BA is only popular because it rides on TA's coattails. By effectively being described as TA in 3d it has the ability to draw in lots of OTA fans who have reminiscent views of their time playing OTA. This is why BA is popular, that oh stuff was great in the past retro-vision. If you think it is actually quality, this is untrue. It may be the most popular *A but that is only because it is sold to new players as best facsimile of OTA. Once sold on the idea people are pretty hard pressed to change their minds. Honestly if people really remembered OTA they would realize BA isn't close.

Popularity and mass consumption are never indicative of quality, they are indicative of a specific simplified and focused marketing and design effort. Such an effort often will simplify things to the lowest form so that individuals can easily comprehend it. Some see this as dumbed down, others see it as streamlined. There is still a market for old school grilled hamburgers in America as much as I was able to find mc'ds in Rome. Just as sumcom2 was dumbed down to be more accessible and starcraft 1/2 are both highly simplified games for the sake of mass appeal/comprehension. You do not need 40k to be deep, you merely need chess and the people make it deep. I think that you both should acknowledge both simple and complex games have a place in the world, neither is better, that is opinion.

pintle wrote:Reason S44 playerbase dropped proportional to *A? = The majority of people playing Spring do not want a challenging and deep RTS, they want to make the robots then make the robots make other robots explode! If something catering to morons does well, don't use that to deride the work of others with more talent, it just makes you look like a dick.
it would behoove you to avoid the personal insults to the *A players and go with unfeeling logical arguments. you are feeding the trolls and to the self-righteous douche's that lurk this place look like a jerk(trust me, I get this a lot)
Johannes wrote:
FLOZi wrote:S44 was second for several weeks back when we released 1.5
What's your analysis, why have the numbers dropped since then?
My guess would be that several spring players tried it because it caught their interest and due to lack of available games/unfamiliarity with it/friends still playing BA, they went back to ba. Not saying BA is to blame, just saying they came for ta3d and stayed for ta3d but at least will fiddle with other things. Which disproves the lol ba sucks our players away argument imo, can't suck someone away when they were already here for it.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Smoth is pretty much spot on (and suggests that the 'don't advertise to Spring (read: BA) players' philosophy is actually somewhat amiss). It's worth noting that once the devs (especially Nemo) became too busy with RL to properly run i.e. the game nights (which were quite successful) and keep regular releases coming, the player base declined. We weren't around to play as much (and even the loss of 3 regular players in such a small playerbase can cause a catastrophic decline, especially when you also consider the 'godde factor', that one of the players most likely to be available to play with you is head and shoulders above the crowd).

And btw responding in this way ('s44 was second for a while') I'm not trying to bash anyone - just pointing out that, other than BA, mod popularity is transitory, pretty much regardless of the development time invested in it; more proportional to the advertisement time invested and the time since the last release (which is interesting to note; BA is popular because it is 'stable', other mods gain popularity when they release often).

Pintle is pintle.
knorke

Post by knorke »

i dont play s44 because it looks like the minimap.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

respect to senna for not packaging this in maps anymore at least, c'mon gaize
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Wombat wrote:conclusion - dont bitch at someones work, ESPECIALLY when its more popular than yours.
that would require there actually being work to bitch at 8)
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

knorke wrote:i dont play s44 because it looks like the minimap.
I know the icons are off-putting but you are really missing out. Its just that, to achieve the scale and realism they are looking for, there aren't really any available options.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I do not want to derail..

but.. <- and this is where people derail

when you have to use icons, they might as well use a little icon with down arrow above each troop. use an outline and have them be brighter with higher contrast.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Its just that I'd rather command some of those:
than those:

Maybe thats why spring players dont care if a game has nicer graphics than ba, you dont see them anyway.
Its just that, to achieve the scale and realism they are looking for, there aren't really any available options.
I understand that. Its just not what to me makes an good rts and as you said yourself it can put people off.

Other spring games have their "hooks" too, ie not many players might want to play with tron styled units because it is just too abstract or w/e
*a just does some basics correct and thats it. Has nothing to do with its ta roots or complexity or dumpeddowness.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

Actually the terrible icons in most *a put me off, as I like to zoom out to whole map a lot :S

Edit: Aaahhh what has this conversation turned into. My point being that your statements are subjective.

I also object to the notion that ba does anything, its more what it doesn't do, which is crash. That is all.
TheRegisteredOne

Post by TheRegisteredOne »

What spring needs is someone to sit down and remake TA. Instead of stealing shit left and right (it in itself is wrong) with complete disregard for quality or cohesion, take all the memorable OTA units and remake them in high quality for this engine. I know people have been doing this, but their efforts are seriously splintered.

Then spring can move forward. It will keep all the people who like *A because they think they are "playing TA" and attract the people who were put off because *A looks like a piece of shit. All the people who complain about Spring being dominated by *A should consider this. After all, flozi, spikedhelmet, smoth, zwzsg etc were all more old school TA fans than whoever is working on *A anyways.

Return to “Game Releases”