Excess Spring public beta 01

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

TA:Excess was originally created by Vohvelieläin for the TA engine. It has been ported over to Spring by Bumblebee, Karl, Zangofett2 and PawC. The download can be found here: http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=2153

Some of the features in Excess include:
-An entirely new race, the Guardians of Kadesh.
-Improved game balance.
-Numerous additional units for ARM and CORE.

join #excess in the lobby.
About(pertaining to original 2006 release.):
Vohvelieläin wrote:I always disliked how in OTA (and any other RTS on market) instead of thinking when, where and what units one should have, one found himself thinking more about how to get the resources needed for those said units.
Another thing i disliked was seeing my 400 Rockos obliterated by a single Orcone.
And what i really hated was how most units, especially the lower level ones, were actually useless; even if not during the first minutes then atleast later in the game.

So...

I've had this TA mod project, so far referred to as TA:Excess, going on in all silence for a while. Adding third race, balancing out the game (seemingly in a manner no one has though before) and making everything (especially the low level stuff) a lot more aggressive are the main points of my mod.

The word "excess" really says it all; all too much of resources, units and firepower. Low level units have been totally boosted, making them more than just bates, while super units are no longer unnaturally superior but just plain big, resulting in combined forces of small units bearing the brunt of fighting, leaving more special operations for more specialized units and big units being virtually useless without solid support of massed light units (as it should be!).
Naturally not all like my way of thinking, but who cares? It just works so well and is fun to play (again, this is completely subjective).

Most of the work on the mod is already done (unless i once and again invent some new perverse changes; ones such as Raiders and Reapers shooting with lasers ) and this new race is also quite complete.
Note: This is a beta, there are bound to be numerous bugs. Please post comments and suggestions here or in #excess.
Credits: http://download668.mediafire.com/sdon5n ... redits.txt
Last edited by Andromeda on 14 Jul 2009, 19:05, edited 6 times in total.
Regret

Re: Excess Spring piblic beta 01

Post by Regret »

Andromeda wrote:However there's one thing i need assistance with; seemingly adding third race to menu (unlike adding their Commander into Core kbot labs list ) needs a custom .exe or something. Atleast this has been the case with all custom races i've tried out so far.
I'd very much like to hear some advice on subject.
Join #moddev on spring lobby and ask about that. It does not require a custom exe.

EDIT: Ninjaed.
Andromeda

Re: Excess Spring piblic beta 01

Post by Andromeda »

Ah yes, I forgot to edit that out of the post. :oops:
Andromeda

Re: Excess Spring public beta 01

Post by Andromeda »

Sorry about the previously broken download. Fixed now: http://spring.jobjol.nl/show_file.php?id=2153
lycenhol

Post by lycenhol »

Great models and effect!
Very good job!

Can I list some little errors?

1. God Hammer animations is wrong: the recoil is on the wrong gun

2. Protector is unable to go out from the facility when It is finished

3. Solar panel compenetrates them selves: You have to make it smaller or to increase costruction zone.

If you think these info could be usefull, I can continue to prove you good mod...
Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

Thanks for the reply Lycenhol!
These issues should be fixed in the next release, thank you for the info :-)
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

The GoK don't have a carrier was that intentional?

Several sounds (IIRC anything with a blaster weapon i.e. the Com's basic weapon) are just popping noises might wanna check that.

Finally some kind of basic Unit list would be a god send.
lycenhol

Post by lycenhol »

The third race is well characterized.
Many animations are very carismatic.

Question: Are the Core and the Arm units taken from another mod, or are them new? Do they need to be retested?
Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

j5mello wrote:The GoK don't have a carrier was that intentional?

Several sounds (IIRC anything with a blaster weapon i.e. the Com's basic weapon) are just popping noises might wanna check that.

Finally some kind of basic Unit list would be a god send.
@carrier: Yes, that is intentional. They have an ARP and a T3 aerospace carrier however.

@sounds: :?

@list: I will work on something if I get some free time.
lycenhol wrote:Question: Are the Core and the Arm units taken from another mod, or are them new? Do they need to be retested?
There are a number of original units, and a number of units that were remade. There are some known script bugs, (E.G. the Orcone, borked recoil.) so I would not say extensive testing is requires, but if you find anything feel free to post it here.
j5mello

Post by j5mello »

Oh jeez!!!

On the Goblin Siege Kbot for core its arm cannons have a massive impact SFX that is blinding white... might wanna tone it down a bit.

For the fleet yard, i remember a drone ship, the mothership, and one other one. Is one of those the Carrier or is it missing from the build list?
Andromeda

Post by Andromeda »

The drone ship is the Carrier.
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

Alot of ur units have potential to use angles and more then 3 weapons, you should totally abuse that factor.
lycenhol

Post by lycenhol »

Debug report:
  • Wrong Gun Recoil in:
    • Hammer
    • Hell Bender
    • Gargant
  • Arm Commander: unnamed
  • Elite: can pass over trees
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

3/10.

Why don't you spend some time making a second race and leaving ARM and CORE out of it? The last fucking thing anybody needs is yet a new TA clone. The only reason I'm giving this a 3/10 instead of a -5/10 is because there's actually a modecrum of work in the form of your new race.
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

Make it a mod attachment of xta, TLL is almost done.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

SpikedHelmet wrote:3/10.

Why don't you spend some time making a second race and leaving ARM and CORE out of it? The last fucking thing anybody needs is yet a new TA clone. The only reason I'm giving this a 3/10 instead of a -5/10 is because there's actually a modecrum of work in the form of your new race.
Uh Spiked, you do know that Excess has been around for ages. Also Vohvelieläin is the original creator of the third race, not Andromeda. You might want to take a look at http://tauniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39667 where you can see that he's gradually replacing Arm and Core both visually and functionally.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/wiitanen/TAXS_II_A ... echtwo.jpg
http://koti.mbnet.fi/wiitanen/TAXS_II_C ... echtwo.jpg

Return to “Game Releases”