All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Alchemist

King of the Hill - CA

Post by Alchemist »

King of the Hill game style for CA!

Screens:

How it works:
- Create 1 more box than number of teams in lobby. IE: 4 teams playing, create 5 boxes. Last box will be the area to control.
- Set mode to King of the Hill in ModOptions
- Set time to control (5 min, 30 max, 15 default)
- Only commander can obtain control but any unit left inside the box can keep control.
- To claim control for another team ALL other enemy units inside the box must be destroyed

Leave comments and suggestions here so I can code changes into next release :)

Thanks to Licho for fixing compatibility issues with CA and Springie auto.

*Warning: This only works if host has SL version 0.0.1.10448 or later.
Last edited by Alchemist on 09 May 2009, 04:31, edited 2 times in total.
maackey

Re: King of the Hill - CA

Post by maackey »

Some stuff was mentioned ingame, but put here so you don't forget :)

Circle area.

Border color instead of completely filled in w/ color. (but thick to insure visibility)

have more units available to capture (either all the different coms, or any unit in the game would also be a nice option)

Visible timer.

Perhaps a warning signal (beep, alarm, etc...) when someone gets either halfway time, 75%, 90% and a message who it is.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

I added support for all CA commanders already.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

I would suggest putting timer visualisation to moveable widget and displaying along with team (player) name.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

Added the support for springie too - so you can play on autohosts.
Pendrokar

Post by Pendrokar »

maackey wrote: Circle area.
Box has four corners and from the center to one of it is the radius. This wouldn't that hard...
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

It would be very nice if the timer when reaches, and when the box is cleared of all enemies to be declared the victor.
Alchemist

Post by Alchemist »

So you want timer to reach 0. Once it reaches 0, all enemies in the box must be cleared before declaring victory?
Noruas
XTA Developer

Post by Noruas »

Correct, therefore there is an overtime mode, which should be displayed in big flashing letters!
ScarySquirrel

Post by ScarySquirrel »

From a game held on the Fifth of May, I offer the following suggestions for King of the Hill style games, each with an explanation following:

1. Make it so that whoever has the majority of units in the area wins.
-->In a completely hypothetical case, this prevents det from winning with a single mine in the center.
-->But the problem here is that if someone has a Krog in the middle, they will still be "out united" by two
2. Make it so that whoever has non-scrap units of the highest value in the center, above a certain minimum value, controls it.
-->This solves the problem that [1] fixed, but does not incur the problem of winning with two, or even ten, mines.
3. Another solution makes "kingship" come from completing an objective, so that all your work is not lost if someone takes the hill from you.
Please reference these suggestions according to their number, and read my post before rebutting it.
kburts

Post by kburts »

Licho wrote:Added the support for springie too - so you can play on autohosts.
how would i go about doing this, and does this work also with BA or just with CA?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

ScarySquirrel wrote:1. Make it so that whoever has the majority of units in the area wins.
-->In a completely hypothetical case, this prevents det from winning with a single mine in the center.
-->But the problem here is that if someone has a Krog in the middle, they will still be "out united" by two
Just weight the units based on cost.

To take this further the hill could only change hands when a side has over double cost in units on the hill.
det

Post by det »

Yogozoth mentioned what I think would be the best thing. The timer should only count down for your team if you are the only team with units inside the square.
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

I agree with the above sentiments that any unit should be able to take control of the centre, not just com.

I think if there's only one player/teams units in box, then the countdown runs. If there's e.g a friendly krog and an glaive, then timer is stopped. I take the point about mines, maybe cloak and shield shouldn't work in the middle?
det

Post by det »

Cloak is fine with the rules proposed in my last post.
Licho
Zero-K Developer

Post by Licho »

kburts wrote:
Licho wrote:Added the support for springie too - so you can play on autohosts.
how would i go about doing this, and does this work also with BA or just with CA?
It works with any mod.
Just follow original king of the hill post about how to host such game.
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

I have a couple suggestions.

Maybe some banner at the start telling everyone its KotH, kind of like the communism one now. Although I should probably be asking Licho for that.

Also maybe a KotH award, just to make it extra obvious to everyone who won the game at the end so you can really dig it in when you win. Although I should probably be asking CarRepairer for that.

And I like the idea that everyone else was throwing around that you can contest the hill by having units in there so that the countdown timer stops. It would definitely make for more interesting games, although flea or clogger spam would probably be over powered.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

you could also use victory points style , ie when you control the hill, enemy's tickers go down
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

agree a ticker style control point mode would be win

and possibility of multiple locations to hold would also be win

like 3 area's to hold, If you hold 1 points go up very slowly if you hold 2 points go up slowly if you hold all 3 points go up quickly.

If you each hold 1 and 1 is neutral no1 gets points

just like Dawn of War 2 and instead of using coms you use metal cost of units (which is cost in CA) so like 5k metal to hold a point
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Otherside wrote:and possibility of multiple locations to hold would also be win
I like that one.

I also side with the people who say control should count when only your units in the square and no enemies. If an enemy enters, timer pauses. If you push them out, it continues. If they push you out, it restarts counting for them. It's simpler this way than using majority unit costs, which no one wants to try calculating in their head during battle. Just make the square smaller to keep it from getting too hard to control. Then terraform walls ftw.

Return to “Game Releases”