Moderator: Moderators

lurker

Re: Gundam 1.2 f2

Post by lurker »

That was at smoth, junk files.
smoth

Post by smoth »

[Krogoth86] wrote:There are Thumbs.db files in the \icons, \bitmaps\smoke, \unitpics and unittextures\tatex\ folders. Keep your Gundam clean or Mr. Bright will whoop your ass! :mrgreen:
FFS......

kburts,
I have no way of testing the linux issue as I run purely windows and do not pretend to support linux or plan on trying to. Sorry. I can see about correcting the files but I need a way to see about getting a list of what is broken for nux peoples. Anyone care to help?

Any balance complaints, gripes, bitches, general admiration over the fact that I just rocked tikal a few days ago?
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

non expansive economy is made of fail :p its my biggest gripe

I cant stand playing it for that reason alone the rest of it is cool and all but.

It turns into base vs base wars and expanding is actually bad because its more area you have to cover.

Artificially limiting income like 20 machine shop and 2 research lab etc means people will reach a limit and it all turns into spam/tech/porc.

if the resource model wasnt artificially limited and actually made you expand and not porc on your start pos the game might actually be decent.

But just like PURE fail eco is fail :( l2gameplay
overkill

Post by overkill »

Gundam economy is not exponential. I was very skeptical at first, but i kind of like it now. This means a player cannot get lucky expanding and have one more mex, the battle is determined by player skill. Since you both have the same eco, they player who loses less units, or kills the most will be ahead. making this a game of skill and micro.
pintle

Post by pintle »

OHAI!

I just thought I would post to tell otherside to l2p and tell him Gundam plays well, and that he is full of shit!

BAI NAO
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

ignoring the obvious troll post

no expansion = no fun

same thing will happen in every game. seeing as you will have the same resources and stuff all that will change is what units you build (untill someone finds the best BO) games will just be a mass of copypasta aswell as slow paced and will get boring quickly. With expansion games tend to differ. As your route and expansion timing can greatly change the outcome of the game. Aswell teritorial eco makes raiding bases important. Right now theres no excuse to leave base till you got enough units to end game or if you want to harass units outside of base
pintle

Post by pintle »

....unless of course you want to raid enemy eco.

And yes Gundam 1v1 is definitely not the fastest 1v1 I have played on Comet.....

Of course, the choice between maxing early unit production (for eg thru 2-3 pool start as feds, or magella rush as Zeon) or pushing up the tech tree for the char rush or doms, or ez-8 etc etc etc is totally linear and repeated exactly the same every game. Scouting your enemy to see where he is headed and reacting accordingly is totally non-rewarding.

I persoanlly like to sit in my base and build only power plants and mechists till I have 20 and then I just make FAG and win with that. It works every game. :twisted:

l2p l2p l2p l2p l2p l2p
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

smoth wrote:
[Krogoth86] wrote:There are Thumbs.db files in the \icons, \bitmaps\smoke, \unitpics and unittextures\tatex\ folders. Keep your Gundam clean or Mr. Bright will whoop your ass! :mrgreen:
FFS......
You can disable the caching of image thumbnails with TweakUI I think, that prevents Windows from creating the Thumbs.db files.
Otherside wrote:non expansive economy is made of fail :p its my biggest gripe

I cant stand playing it for that reason alone the rest of it is cool and all but.

It turns into base vs base wars and expanding is actually bad because its more area you have to cover.

Artificially limiting income like 20 machine shop and 2 research lab etc means people will reach a limit and it all turns into spam/tech/porc.

if the resource model wasnt artificially limited and actually made you expand and not porc on your start pos the game might actually be decent.

But just like PURE fail eco is fail :( l2gameplay
Machineshops are hardcapped because your basic income does not increase and the Mshop cap is set so it covers the entire basic income you get, any additional machineshops would be a waste of money. Hence the cap. Research labs are hardcapped because the exotic resource is supposed to be capped, it was like that even before the basic and refined caps got introduced (rarity is the whole point of that resource, limiting the number of units with high tech weaponry you can field).

Mex spots are too numerous to work in Gundam, would be a total chore to build those things. Apparently the fluff doesn't have much fighting for strategic locations anyway and is combat against bases mostly.

Combat in Gundam is not about unit counters, it's a lot about micro.

Oh and FAG sucks, G3 all the way.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

any good rts based on a story/lore/fluff

must have a balance of

1) Fluff (ofc the game is based on it)
2) Fun (whats the point of making something which isnt fun)
3) Balance (if you want a good game)

I feel that the fluff will have a negative effect on the gameplay if its followed to strictly.

No RTS with fluff/lore etc has ever ignored the need for expansion.

Dawn of war
Dawn of War 2
Starwars based RTS's
LOTR battle for ME 1 and 2

Imo gundam would benefit from a LUA Control Point based Eco system(Keeping the 3 resources also) or something of the sort. Similar to S44 and DoW

Expansion adds flavor to a game and fun it also forces conflict.

Sure your trying to focus on "UBER" micro but if you check games like SC it has the uber micro and it also has expansion, expansions are what add alot of flavor and excitement to SC games.

I just think the game lacks in this area and with a little extra work the game could become much more fun and exciting.
Last edited by Otherside on 15 Apr 2009, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

The non-expansive economy is what makes gundam unique. YOu hit the cap and then there's no more econ bullshit. No more worrying about managing exponential growth. You can spend all your time focusing on the real game, the combat units. No more SimBase.

It's not for every game, but it's good for Gundam.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Pxtl wrote:No more worrying about managing exponential growth. You can spend all your time focusing on the real game, the combat units. No more SimBase.
Then whys is it called Gundam RTS not Gundam RTT?
smoth

Post by smoth »

gundam is not about expansion, the fluff wasn't and tbfh you are just looking to be derisive. Gundam has always been about what you do with the units. Funny thing is that you can have epic huge bases with power an defenses but it isn't the point.

the point of gundam is FIGHTAN! not playing base builder. It is what you do with the units that makes the game not playing base baby sit. Some units are harder to use than others but to be frank stop expecting TA it isn't. It isn't starcraft either, that wasn't the point. It is about UNITS the sooner you understand that the better. not that you are really going to try it.

The hard capped economy is very much about setting a base that has some amount of management without the base becoming a chore of running around and capping a bunch of fucking mexes that are everywhere. Nor is it about pointless expansion. Expansions give you return points for free healing and support fire. That is why you can build remote conyards, so they can setup fire support and healing stations for your troops/heroes.

So your base is really only there as a support for your troops NOT so you can hide in the corner. do that and in 20-30 minutes you are going to have gundam or xamels up your ass.
Then whys is it called Gundam RTS not Gundam RTT?
because there is a choice between micro and macro strategies, The game is not about just build 1 hero and win although I have watch terrible macro make char invulnerable because people play stupid. Strategy is all about the over all plan where as tactics are about the little bits used to pull off the overall strat. IE, char maneuvers are tactics.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

the point of gundam is FIGHTAN! not playing base builder.
i lawld

All your screens/video's you show of gundam is how to build a pretty base and base building Q_Q

its the most base builder rts ive played in a longtime even more than simbaes

I am by no way comparing it to *A mods im comparing it to other rts's even the ones that focus on unit interaction and uber micro have expansion as part of the game (Dawn of war 2 case in point)
smoth

Post by smoth »

I made a video showing how to make a base because a starting build that is solid has always been an important part of RTS gaming, it is also important to use good spacing and explain how the buildings work through demonstration. Sorry I didn't have the time to go through all the individual base/unit strategies. I did it before I left for a 5 day trip for the fucking Caribbean and since tons of people were all like "where are the mexes" I'd say it was important. Considering that your base dying hurts production of troops I would say it is important to help people get to the fighting faster.

If you are going to post, post something actually relevant not trying to blatantly flame/bait me.

(oh look, the release video was about fighting) you tosser.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

nice personal flame ive been fairly constructive in my posts

but as i said only time will tell.

And if you ever change the economic model or lean towards expansion.

you can have a big I TOLD YOU SO cookie :]
smoth

Post by smoth »

You think that I have no heard that yet? Funny because I did, you act like I haven't, it isn't an issue. You want expansion based gameplay? There are tons of other PROFESSIONAL GAMES that are all about territory grabbing. Like oh, settlers of catan or cariscone(sp).

I hate to say this but l2p
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

l2maekgaem ?
pintle

Post by pintle »

Otherside wrote:its the most base builder rts ive played in a longtime even more than simbaes
I was going to stop flaming you but this is just fucking retarded.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

pintle wrote:
Otherside wrote:its the most base builder rts ive played in a longtime even more than simbaes
I was going to stop flaming you but this is just fucking retarded.
you act like if im lying lets see :P

Dawn of war 2 (no base)
Battleforge (no base)
Empire Total War (no base)
S44 (not much of a base less so than gundam)

apart from CA those are the last rts's ive played alot of over past year or so

also apart from empire total war (which is staged battles) all of them have expansion elements

and Gundam is more base buildier than all of them put together
Last edited by Otherside on 15 Apr 2009, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
lurker

Post by lurker »

Otherside wrote:nice personal flame ive been fairly constructive in my posts
No, not really.

Return to “Game Releases”