SWTA Gnome Edition 0.60 - Page 2

SWTA Gnome Edition 0.60

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Min3mat wrote:yes this info is by ppl being paid to REVIEW games
This is info by people who are paid to bring visitors to click the advertisment banners.
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

WZ:
Actually, us charging has nothing to do with it.

If SWTA was remodeled and recoded to be PHENOMONAL then that would be sweet. What it would also do is draw attention to itself. Eventually LucasArts would hear about it.

And even free they would send a cease and decist order. Why? Because one, it is a direct copyright infringement, they own it, we use it. And two, it may (MAY) cut into games they have made or have planned in the future, profits they see flying out the window.

Business people don't like seeing profits flying out windows.

-Buggi
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

(regarding empire at war) Your both making assumptions about a game you haven't played... Don't you see the similarites between your pre-judgements?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

pre-judgements based on a highly reliable and repeatable past record.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I believe HANSOLO of the original SWTA team worked out a legal loophole so that SWTA couldn't get into any trouble, even if it was noticed.

And assumedly, by the time SWTA appeared on lucasarts radar, it would be fully completed. Lucasarts can't do anything to Spring, as spring is unrelated to SWTA, and SWTA is finished, so they can't tell something which has already ceased to cease even more.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

They will enevitably try.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I don't think it is inevitable.

Anyway, I'm helping Gnome port this to Spring now, so I'm going to redo the models to make them look less blocky in Spring.
Also expect a basic SWTA spawn AI soon.
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

http://wormhole.tauniverse.com/images/s ... nttie3.jpg
http://wormhole.tauniverse.com/images/s ... nttie4.jpg

Stretching the limits one day at a time... (and yay for Stormzilla! :P)

Can anyone say "Death Star"? :O

In case anyone's curious, that's a TIE Interceptor at 120x scale (scaled up in 3dobuilder), and a Stormtrooper at 30x. 3DO Builder dies before Spring does... then again, those big units don't have proper groundplates, so who knows if they'd really work 100%. I still needed to be able to build them, you know :P
FolCan

Post by FolCan »

And Lucas Arts or Lucas Film arnt Blizzard... they dont shut down any attempts for mods to other games for games like starcraft and warcraft to name a few

I mean it would have been cool to see the half life starcraft mod but no they shut it down

StarCraft 3d project would have been cool to see completed but blizzard shut it down
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

Yeah, in fact, I know the UT2003/2004 Star Wars mod (called UT2003/4 Troopers, IIRC) got permission from LucasArts to continue merrily along their way, so it's not unprecedented... the only reason I can see them trying to shut down something like SWTA is because of the upcoming SW RTS already mentioned...
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

But there was also a Star Wars FPS which came out, and all the SW mods from BF1942 to UT were left alone...
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

'scuse the bump.

Gnome, I redid the SWTA infantry, but I'm not sure whether I'm pleased with the outcome or not...

It came out at a total of 200 faces, but that's uncleaned. I'd guess it could go down to about 120 faces cleaned.
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

For spring, don't worry about face count. It's able to render tens (maybe hundreds) of thousands of polgons.

-Buggi
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

Yeah, but we're talking infantry here. These are cheap and used en masse, so they still need to be slightly conservative.

That said, the knees and head need work, Zsinj :P

Oh, and tralala:
http://wormhole.tauniverse.com/images/spring/impsd1.jpg
http://wormhole.tauniverse.com/images/spring/impsd2.jpg

It's nearly the width of Hoth in those shots :P I've sized it down 50% since then, and it's still pretty massive. I need to mess with it more, but at this point I don't know if it'll quite work yet. 3DOBuilder can only support groundplates up to 256x256 (that's about half the width of the half-sized version...), pathfinding for it seems to be a bit hard (but I might actually be able to fix that), and right now fighters can bump it around. Is there a "mass" tag for planes which makes them unbumpable? Right now, when a fighter runs into it, it scoots it along the map until the fighter dies (they both take damage from this), but really if a fighter runs into a Star Destroyer it should just blow up and not leave much of a scratch :P

Spring also needs better hitbox (sphere, whatever) support for large models. For a model that big it *needs* to be per polygon (and that model is only 218 quads, for the record, though I don't have the turbolasers on it).
Fes

Post by Fes »

The sound pack seems to be down. Can someone pop me off an email when its back online? Ta.

Fes - iamfes@gmail.com
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Gnome fixed it. It is back up now.
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

http://wormhole.tauniverse.com/images/s ... mplaat.jpg

No fancy zwzsg scripting required in Spring for that ;)

Progress is still being made--I've got it to the point that no unit I've come across crashes the game anymore. I'm now going through and fixing various scripts to make the units appear and/or work correctly in Spring.

Expect a new release soon after next major release of Spring ;)
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

I'll one up myself and post a spiffy quick teaser video instead!!

http://www.fileuniverse.com/?page=showitem&ID=1152
Hunter0000

Post by Hunter0000 »

I realise a new release is comming out with the next spring one, but I played around with the current version using a quick spawn script and found a *lot* of problems, mostly LOS and range ones. Testing done with grounds units pretty much exclusivly.

LOS - is pathetic. Now I realise the droid LOS (except the droid commander) is meant to be low, thats fine, but the LOS of normal units is barley that of their range (I will get to that next), does not seem right...

Range - is waaay too low. Why do all of the units have to get close enough to slap eachother before firing their guns? 90% of the units seem to have a 200-300 range, I also noticed that the stormtroopers, repeaters, and flamethrowers were labled at 600 range, when it was actualy MUCH shorter.

Stormtrooper vs. Repeater
same LOS
same range (as far as I can tell)
same health
Stormtrooper does more damage
Repeater costs more metal
Stormtrooper builds faster ( 5 ST to 4 RPT)

Why is the Stormtrooper equal to or superoir to in every way a more expensive and slower building soldier?

EDIT: response: units act strangly when responding to enemies, they will not lift a finger if they or a nearby friendly is being shot at, but if they see an enemy at a air range, they will run up into seapons range and usual stare at them until killed.

I would just like to know that:
A) I am being stupid, and I am missing somthing, or
B) This will be addressed in the next version
Gnomre

Post by Gnomre »

Range and LOS are interpreted slightly differently by this engine, and probably will need to be adjusted accordingly. I'll discuss that with Zsinj. As for the range compared to LOS, this is one area where realism needs to take a backseat, in my opinion. Requiring LOS for the full benefit of the weapon is a major gameplay element. The one thing I don't want is uber-ranged units, though (except maybe artillery, which is supposed to be long range anyway). Again, I'll talk to Zsinj and see what we come up with.

The repeater vs normal may be addressed. I may have inadvertantly addressed it with all the various changes we've made so far.

The units acting strangely is probably due to the engine not allowing friendly units to fire over/through friendly units, meaning only the front row of units can really even attack... I'll be limitedly addressing this issue by making all the artillery locked to high trajectory, so they will always fire over friendlies. Right now, this isn't something that's really in our control.

Based on the current amount of stuff I have left to tweak and update, it'll likely be about four days until the next release of SWTA, possibly up to a week depending on how lazy I am ;)

Return to “Game Releases”