Fibre v13 - Page 2

Fibre v13

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Agon

Post by Agon »

KDR_11k will you update this mod?
I'm interested in this mod and it's gameplay because I'm working on a new mod and it will use the same energy system with some extras for one race.
ianmac

Post by ianmac »

two questions KDR: 1) can you set up a movement and attack que for factorys and 2) do you think that when some one comes up whith a true mobile factory that some one could merge the two? Because I had a unit idea of something like a command truck that could move and bild UAVs but when the truck was killed than the UAVs would lose control and hit the ground in a nice explotion. what do you think?

P.S. sorry I didn'y have time to pell check :( .
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I could have implemented a queue but I wanted to have indirect unit control with that beacon. Sure, it's limiting but I wanted it to be.

The factories I use aren't really factories, they're just simple buildings that do nothing. The Lua handles their whole behaviour. Having a command truck launch UAVs would be easy, could already be done with the airstrike script in Kernel Panic div 0 if you add code to track which UAV belongs to which truck and handle the destruction then.

Overall I'd advise against attempting to take features from Fibre's lua for other mods, it's not designed for modularity or reusability and it won't coexist peacefully with units that don't follow its design. Agon, especially if you don't need the neutralizing and capture business you'll have much simpler code.

Further development is likely if I'm in the mood. Fibre units are very easy to make since the actual units use very little code (the BOSes are almost empty) and most of the Lua is implemented already. The only problem is to think of a suitable design.
Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

If the gameplay is half as cool as the screenshot.. then very nice indeed.. do you suppose this script setup could be retrofitted to replicate the power generation setup that Earth 2150 used..?

Should add in the terraforming features and we could potentially recreate perimeter.. though prolly not a good idea to invite more IP violation..

Excellent stuff KDR.. most excellent..
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

You would use the same principle to get a 2150 style power system but the script as-is probably isn't well suited for that (you'd change more things than you'd keep).
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Version 2 is out now. You need the Mantis #700 patch to play it though, I hope this'll give some incentive to commit that.

I don't remember all changes I made.

New units:
Transmitter: Shovels energy from one node to another. Use the Align command to target a node within range. It eats up twice as much energy as it sends. Yes I know the rings disappear if the unit is out of view, that's how Spring culls particle systems.

Shredder Flak: Not really much of a flak yet since there's no air but it can do decent damage vs drones over a long range and is fairly cheap.

Armor Factory (and Tank): A factory that makes tanks. Tanks outrange laser turrets and can take quite a few shots.

Doomsday device: You can't build this. If the mod option "King of the Doomsday" is checked one of these spawns in the middle of the map. If it is charged to over 9000 energy it can fire a devastating beam.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

screenies?
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Great mod idea, I've played a few games like this mod. What about making a connector node that can't build things but acts as a link to allow 2 node to be far away.
lurker

Post by lurker »

If the connector doesn't build, how do you get that far node built? Nodes are cheap anyway, they pretty much serve that function by themselves.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

New version

Three new buildings, read the file description. The required patch is now in SVN.

EDIT:
Stonefist Howitzer: A really, REALLY powerful gun. Its range is limited but it does MASSIVE damage to anything that dares to enter it.
Howler Factory: Builds Howler attack planes, these can fire a burst of missiles or pelt enemies with their MG. After they shoot the missiles they have to refuel. the missiles can't lock onto small targets like drones or the shredder flak.
Bomber Factory: Builds the bomber. It's REALLY expensive (1500 energy) but has a long maneuver range and drops a carpet of powerful bombs on a target. It won't move if the beacon is not placed on a target to attack. The bomber can often get quite deep into a base to deliver its payload and even when there's heavy flak it can at least drop bombs on the most forward positions of the enemy (which includes the flaks).

Other changes include an MG for the tanks that can shoot Drones and Howlers but isn't very powerful. I don't remember the rest.
Last edited by KDR_11k on 02 Jan 2008, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

I really wanted to try this mod :(
Erom

Post by Erom »

This is fun! It needs an AI so we can play when there is no one in the test server, though.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

TradeMark wrote:Image
I really wanted to try this mod :(
*latest* svn is necessary.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

"s" isn't even that late, it was in the first batch of CEG opcodes added (r4824). The patch that was necessary for v2 added the second batch.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

http://www.unknown-files.net/spring/3876/Fibre_v4/

New release with two new units and again more changes I don't remember.

EDIT:
-Teleporter: Can teleport a friendly building (not a citadel, node or doomsday device though) to its own location. The teleporter disappears after one use.
-Stiletto cruise missile launcher: A turret with a really long range but can only shoot at targets in a 90├âãÆ├»┬┐┬¢├âÔÇÜ├é┬░ forward arc and can only target turrets and factories (i.e. no harmless buildings).
Last edited by KDR_11k on 02 Jan 2008, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Re: Fibre v4.1

Post by KDR_11k »

http://www.unknown-files.net/spring/3906/Fibre_v5/

Another version. This time you get the option to make geovents more interesting by replacing them with neutral units.

EDIT:
This version adds a new mod option, you can now replace geo vents with nuke silos (each can be used only once), superchargers (when they are at full power they add a huge amount of energy to the node) or just unclaimed nodes to give some additional points of interest on some maps.
Last edited by KDR_11k on 02 Jan 2008, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
imbaczek

Re: Fibre v5

Post by imbaczek »

404 (isn't cuppy breaking stuff right now?)
edit: nvm, cuppy fixed the stuff ^^
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Small bump because 76b1 is out now and you no longer need SVN to play it.

EDIT: Moved the "changelogs" into the posts so there's no need to use the UF links just to read the info.
Stealth870

Post by Stealth870 »

Sometimes when destroying Citadels the game crashes in an explosion of LUA errors. Also is there a reason why sometimes nodes don't connect back to your other ones? I believe I saw one of mine turn neutral, but wasn't able to activate it again afterwards.

Mod is really cool by the way! :D Hurray doomsday!

Return to “Game Releases”