Fibre v13 - Page 4

Fibre v13

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Stealth870

Re: Fibre v5

Post by Stealth870 »

More notes:
  • Hotkey to choose Citadel from afar. Ctrl-C works but I don't want the camera going back.
  • I believe I did see the Citadel error in that large game. Someone dropped and so someone got 2 Citadels. One ting I noticed is that despite owning both of them, you can neutralize the Citadel by killing off the nodes around it. I can't recall if the 2nd Citadel was connected to the main one through nodes, but I thought it was odd that you were able to neutralize it.
  • Textures? If anything use a cool cell shader for this mod, as I think it looks cool enough as it is, IMO.
  • Should transmitters really be a gulping 20E to send 10? It would seem more useful to have them drain 10E (so that the node stays constant) and only transmit 5. That way you would actually be able to use other nodes without draining them out. As of right now, you would really only be able to use one chain of transmitters comign from your Citadel...
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

Stealth: I agree in the shortcut regard: one of the first things I realized that binding the citadel to a group is the first thing worth doing in this mod. KDR, I guess binding the citadel on startup would be a very simple extension of select'n'center widget, and a much welcome one.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

I think this "prototype" is a brilliant concept. Definitely needs to be expanded on.

Here's my list of gripes so far:

1. It's so damned silent! But I won't bother you about this since you probably have enough to manage with the lua coding and such. Maybe have someone try and make/get some placeholder sound effects for you?

2. Hotkeys and widgets are a must to managing this thing properly. At the very least, bind A to "Align". :x

3. Please show the node's area of control as a range circle, so we can place them like we place mexes.

Otherwise, game is cool so far!
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

3 is already in IIRC...?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

No, he means the area the node will cover. I have no idea how to add more range rings tho, wasn't there some tag to just add a ring without changing any gameplay values?
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

KDR_11k wrote:No, he means the area the node will cover. I have no idea how to add more range rings tho, wasn't there some tag to just add a ring without changing any gameplay values?
I believe so, but I can't recall what the tag is...

You know, I honestly believe we should start including a widget with all mods that draws all range circles via lua. Allow them to shade the map area, use brighter colors, and most importantly be more visible than the stupid pixel thin red lines the engine currently draws.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

That feature was requested, but was it ever implemented?

Just as expectable, trying to reprogram a game engine in LUA result in huge slow down when the game grow big.

Also, at one point I saw everybody losing his network: unit stayed in their color, but every nodes save a couple lose their disk, whilst:

gl.BeginEnd: error(2) = [string "LuaRules/Gadgets/charge.lua"]:622: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'ty' (a nil value)
LuaRules::RunCallIn: error = 2, DrawWorldPreUnit, [string "LuaRules/Gadgets/charge.lua"]:622: attempt to perform arithmetic on local 'ty' (a nil value)

Then the error stopped and the disks reappeared.

Since you like peeping into other people game, here's the replay for you:
http://download.yousendit.com/F80DDB9308772A67
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I had another error where my entire network turned neutral. My citadel was not dead in both my errors. As for selecting the citadel I bind it to group 0.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Yeah, the circles should preferably be an engine level patch, since lua does slow things down.
DZHIBRISH

Post by DZHIBRISH »

Make nodes have bigger range.
You need to find what to do with factoriesthat are no longer needed..you have the transfare thingy but its so much micro with al the rest of the things that are going on.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

If teleports are too much micro (1. build teleport, 2. select factory, no need to wait for the thing to charge to give that order) I'm afraid there are no options that would work for you.

So far my solution to the beacon issue is adding a line from the factory to its beacon. I think that'll help the overview a bit.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

How about this:
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

+1
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Very nice :-) . A quick way to check nodes full of energy would be useful, like if they had a flashing light or something. Also being able to set the rally point of a factory by selecting the factory and right clicking would be a time saver. It would be nice if transmitters showed what they are pointing at while idle, maybe an effect like the CA core idle nano.
Foxomaniac

Post by Foxomaniac »

what I want to see :

Output/Expenditure of charges on Nodes.

This would be sofaking useful :P.
DZHIBRISH

Post by DZHIBRISH »

KDR.Why not allow control of your forces?like regular units.
make your nodes be a source of income and you can place factories where you want cause the troops will be able to move everywhere on the map.that way you have dis one resoure called energy and you need it to build stuff..i do think you should make nodes have say twice the range.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Maybe because the whole point of Fibre is to show Spring can play something different?
Stealth870

Post by Stealth870 »

I had an idea for some extra "Citadel Modes".

Well, first off, it would be awesome if we could get a warning when your Citadel is under attack. A BIG warning with a nice red pulse one the edges of your monitor or something, perhaps then have a dialog appear with your Citadel's current health. This would be useful since sometimes, people are too busy expanding and leave things undefended! Which, I present 2 extra little options if desired...

1. If Citadel comes under attack, and goes down to...75% health, you get 4 Laser towers pop up on each oriental corner (N, S, E, W) instantly at the expense of a 50% energy drain.

2. At 75% again, the Citadel will pop up a button for you, that if chosen to use, will drop the Citadel's health and charge to 1/2, and create an explosion like the little missile nuke silos. It should be enough to clear out any attacks nearby. From there its up to you to defend it well enough. :mrgreen:

Also, why doesn't the commander end option work, since when you lose your Citadel, it's pretty much over anyway? :P
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

KDR_11k wrote:How about this:
That is win. My next suggestion would be to allow number grouping the beacon somehow. If you can just number a factory and use "m" to move the beacon when the factory is selected, that would be fine.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Beacons can't be assigned to a group?

Return to “Game Releases”