Fun:TA Finished Released!

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Latest release can be obtained at: http://forbodingangel.zjt3.com/FunTA-Finished.sd7 also, a very basic play guide is available here: http://forbodingangel.zjt3.com/Funta%20Game%20Guide.txt

Bunch of stuff, and a lot of easter eggs if you can find them.

There was not supposed to be another verions of this, but due to the improvements made with the AI improver Gadget I thought that this deserved a new release.

Also, the effects on the LLT's, HLT's, and the defender/pulverizer have been changed a bit, I imagine they will be a good bit more appealing to look at now.
Last edited by Forboding Angel on 25 Oct 2007, 19:01, edited 4 times in total.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Sweet winnesss. :P
Kovin

Looks great

Post by Kovin »

Now, now this is something worthy to steal from...
Are the effects and other thingies free to steal, Forboding Angel?
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

I like Changelogs
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

NOiZE wrote:I like Changelogs
O rly? Well I don't. However, heres a very brief overview.

Armspid can now cloak and is stealth.
New unit - Arm paralyzer tower added (Can cloak and is stealth)
New unit - ArmTraq maverick sidekick (cloak/stealth)
Sped up torpedos
New unit Core Angel - Beamlaser about same range as hlt, very high damage kinda low on the health side tho, bout the same costs and health as a guardian, buildtime is longer.
Upped builddistance on all mobile nano's to 400
New Unit - Core Titan, Beamlaser, costs little more than golli, about 300 more range, dps is much lower, but in numbers they are really good for taking out buildings/defences.
Mobile arty (Mart) adjusted to have turnrrate of 120, nice speed (so they can get where they need to go, but can't run) aoe of 500, damage ranges from 25-30 or less per shot (yes, you will need more than 1...)
Crashers set to only fire at air, same with pulv/defender(only because the damage was irritating me, and just because those units are nice if they don't try to shoot anything besides air, sam/slash still shoot at everything.
Upped range of base shield to 2000, 100k hp 100 regen rate. Orbital laser has changed, looks 100% more cool, and now gets stopped by the shield (as do) nukes. Needs 250k energy to fire (that's roughly 45 energy storage buildings) does about 33k damage to an aoe of 500. Also, upon first shot (assuming you actually hit something) the Base shield unit will gain 24k hp weighting in for a grand total of about 74k hp.
Stunners/emps are cheap as hell, use them.
Nuke has aoe of 2500, cannot be blocked or shot down (except by base shield) and has damage of I think about 40 or 50k (not that it really matters at that point)
Arm panther tank made much mroe deadly
Fixed weak amphib units, they definately pack a serious punch, move faster underwater now as well. Specifically(gimp has a sumo laser and a reaper cannon, pelican has an llt laser and the rocko weapon (high damage), water tanks have reaper and bulldog cannon respectively.

^^ That's about 1/4th of the changes. Also not even counting the new effects of which there are many.

@kovin, knock yourself out dude. Give any final credit to smoth, cause anything cool that I did, probably started out with an idea I got from him.

BTW I looked at FF last night. Neato. But you need these effects... Badly...
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

I'm not actually borrowing that much, since you only have a couple of nice particle textures. I'm going to make a lot of new ones.
Relative

Post by Relative »

I'm having trouble using the death beam. What are the requirements for firing now?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Forboding Angel wrote: Upped range of base shield to 2000, 100k hp 100 regen rate. Orbital laser has changed, looks 100% more cool, and now gets stopped by the shield (as do) nukes. Needs 250k energy to fire (that's roughly 45 energy storage buildings) does about 33k damage to an aoe of 500. Also, upon first shot (assuming you actually hit something) the Base shield unit will gain 24k hp weighting in for a grand total of about 74k hp.

8)
Relative

Post by Relative »

Ah that would explain it. I only had 100k of energy when I tried to fire.
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Relative wrote:Ah that would explain it. I only had 100k of energy when I tried to fire.
Eh... :shock:
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Changes in the next version

Unit Upgrades!

Mexes, defense towers, even some attack units!
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

I take it you have some sort of Alien technology energy storage planned to reduce that 38 unit need for e-storage down to one?

You may want to consider allowing the rocket towers to fire slow-reload rocko-style line of sight (anti-tank?) rockets for anti-ground. One further suggestion would be to make them half as effective versus gunships. The same could be said for Samson/Slasher. At least its not futile for when a rush surrounds them and they don't get abused as an all-encompassing anti-air niche.

I saw you've toyed with ranges on level 1 rocket units a lot, too. What can be really boring in game play is when arm and core use identical units, which your rocket units have pretty much become. You can always balance farther reaching rockets with reload time. Traditionally core has used bigger and badder weapons in contrast to arm's mobile and faster reloading counter-parts. If you double the range from 500 to 1000 then to quadruple the reload time is a safe balance. (May even resume the 200 damage you tried before.) The core rocket units would get used then as hard-hitting sniping units. This would be in sharp contrast to arm's softer-hitting and close-in skirmish rockets.

Kudoes on the special fX. It's stuff like that you've done which draws me back to spring on a regular basis.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

MadRat wrote:I take it you have some sort of Alien technology energy storage planned to reduce that 38 unit need for e-storage down to one?

You may want to consider allowing the rocket towers to fire slow-reload rocko-style line of sight (anti-tank?) rockets for anti-ground. One further suggestion would be to make them half as effective versus gunships. The same could be said for Samson/Slasher. At least its not futile for when a rush surrounds them and they don't get abused as an all-encompassing anti-air niche.

I saw you've toyed with ranges on level 1 rocket units a lot, too. What can be really boring in game play is when arm and core use identical units, which your rocket units have pretty much become. You can always balance farther reaching rockets with reload time. Traditionally core has used bigger and badder weapons in contrast to arm's mobile and faster reloading counter-parts. If you double the range from 500 to 1000 then to quadruple the reload time is a safe balance. (May even resume the 200 damage you tried before.) The core rocket units would get used then as hard-hitting sniping units. This would be in sharp contrast to arm's softer-hitting and close-in skirmish rockets.

Kudoes on the special fX. It's stuff like that you've done which draws me back to spring on a regular basis.
Storage? No Probably not. THe penalty for firing that thing is time spent and the fact aht you basically have to have an energy farm. I mean be realistic. You order the thing to fire, and a moment later a huge laser slams into the ground. I do not want that to be an extremely common occurance. Also, with large energy farms, you opponent can cripple your ability to use that doom laser by taking out portions of your energy farm. I think that consolidating those would be a mistake.

About rocket towers (which they aren't rocket towers anymore, but meh whatever :P). I considered it, because basically I like being able to have everything shoot at everything, however, if they even so much as aim at ground when an airstrike comes along you're fucked because of the way that spring assigns priority for targets. THis way tyhey do their job better, besides, it would be a crime for me to make llt's any cheaper. Heh, they are so easy to spam (And believe me, that's the intent). Also, remember that an llt can shoot down a plane, they just suck at it.

Your rocket idea is one that I really like and I will consider that. Keep in mind that in funta I'm not hampered with things like worrying about units vying for position, as all units (save beamlasers, anni, angel, 2 or so others) have collidefriendly=0; enabled. I'll see what I can do in this department. You gave me some really interesting ideas (also, I like your method of making units different without unbalancing them, cause that's exactly how I do it). However, keep in mind, that there are specific units on either side that I actually did intend to be the exact same, and believe me, with good reason.

Thanks for the kudos. Also, I really appreciate the comments and ideas. I don't like bitching, but I sure as hell do like ideas :P

Even if ideas aren't used in the specific location that was originally given/discussed, generally I'll save them for use with another application of design.

I need to sit down at some point and write a guide on how to play this game, cause there are so many more strategies and tactics than you will see in the conventional TA mods out there, and thru large fault of my own, they aren't even known (why the hell don't people use the armtraq's? THose things are utter pwn in a box, especially if you use them with spiders).

Heh, I rambled...

Oh btw, most lv1 units can be upgraded to their lv2 counterparts now without having to have the lv2 factory (cause that was never the point in funta, there is a reason the lv2 facts are so cheap). FOr example, pulvs and defenders can be upgraded directly to flaks (I needed this badly for myself, cause I hate rebuilding defences). llt>hlt, punisher>angel>timmy>buzzsaw, and many many many more, including lv1 mobile units. Just always remember to look for the morph button :P

God I'm having so much fun making this thing <3

EDIT: o o o o I forgot to add. If you know of a unit that has a niche that is not already filled and would like it to be added to funta here are the requirements.

Cannot be currently used in any other spring mod
Must be high quality/professional and come from a reasonably respected TA unit making group
Must have something to add to the gameplay. Not a unit that does the same thing differently, unless it just really is THAT cool, in which case I'll consider it.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

BTW, double range and quadruple reload time doesn't necessarily balance out, range has a more than linear effect, it allows units to shoot without being shot at and depending on how fast the unit moves it may be able to make it impossible to close the gap (and of course defenses aren't going to run after anything, anyway).
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

KDR_11k wrote:BTW, double range and quadruple reload time doesn't necessarily balance out, range has a more than linear effect, it allows units to shoot without being shot at and depending on how fast the unit moves it may be able to make it impossible to close the gap (and of course defenses aren't going to run after anything, anyway).
I believe that that was just an example KDR. Not necessarily to be taken 100% literally.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

The artillery model you chose is good. I'd only trade some reload time for damage; a double of damage for quadruple reload time would be fine if its neutered against many other units. I always liked in UH how they were good for clearing level 1 light units off the map. I've always made artillery have majorly reduced damage against armored units, which makes them more of a general role player rather than a simple spam unit. In mass they seem almost too good for staving off even level 2 ship units as they are now. But that could just be my preference because I've always figured battleship guns should be the longest reaching guns in a game of TA short of bertha type units.

Your explosions weren't the only thing new to like. I also like your morph ideas. Your morphing options could be further explored with things like airplanes and ships.

I never liked the idea that ships were one-role wonders. Imagine the battleship beginning as a sort of battle-cruiser that can morph to a fast battleship. The fast battleship could morph into a missile battleship. Your pt boats could begin as scouts but then morph into torpedo boats. The torpedo boats could morph into hydrofoil missile boats. Etc etc.

The fighters could be swing-roled. You could have level 1 fighters begin as single-role interceptors. Hitting the morph button could turn them into light ground attack warplanes. The stealth fighters could begin as non-stealth and then morph into stealths. The level 1 bombers could begin as one, large single-bomb droppers. Morphing them turns them into carpet bombers. Seaplane bombers begin as level 1 bomber role but could morph back and forth from that role to anti-ship rocket bombers, and back again.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Madrat, for the love of god, keep posting, these are the kind of ideas and suggestions I really like to hear. Some real imagination!

About arty. I see your point, that may actually solve a problem I've been having so I'll try it out.

With morphing on attack units. Eventually there will be units in the game that you can only reach by morphing, at least that's my plan.

So far I only have ground units done on the morphing side of things, planes and then sea is next. I also need to change up some of the weapons on the ships to use their ground counterparts.

Unfortunately it's really hard for me to balance things like ships etc, because generally I have no one to help me test. Sometimes even obvious things can easily slip by me.

Speaking of op stuff. THe doom laser has gotten a 2 minute cooldown time, and if you have the morphed version it's 4 minutes (the morphed version is nearly the aoe of a nuke - 1750 vs 2500 aoe).

Back to morphing...

Yesterday I had a 2 vs 2 beta test with the morphing and whatnot.

I must say it is one of the coolest ideas since sliced bread, it also Does some wonderful things for the gameplay.

I had to add some times values for the structures, cause the morph time was being wierd for some of them.

One of the neato resourcing things I've done is make is so that windgens can morph into solors which in turn can morph into fusions.

I also got to test out my crawlng bombs yesterday. Damn those things are fast as hell, yet somehow I managed to balance them properly and still keep them useful.

Once I get planes and sea units set up for morphing I will make a release, so I'm hoping this weekend :P
CautionToTheWind

Post by CautionToTheWind »

Good to see you having fun, Forboding Angel.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Ever thought about adding some old 3rd party units in? I can see the benefit of expressly making a 3rd level of technology in some key aspects of porc breaking or porc defense.

I always liked that big tammo amphibious tank called the behemoth. And then there is a level 1 core gunship from han solo of tammo called the elemental that is based on unreleased cavedog art. And tammo's icbm sub, the rapido kbot, and bear rocket tank were other units based off unreleased cavedog stuff. They also have a super-diplomat called the loki that was cool. And their sky sweeper (pat's self on back for the idea back in the day) would make a good flakker morph. Their bandit was a good core version of a maverick-like unit. I was part of tammo a long time ago so their work always have a place in my heart.

There is plenty of other 3rd party ta stuff out there that would fit nicely into any ta mod. Acut had a bomber named robin. Core prime has advanced solars that are beautiful, a slurry of cavedoggish underwater structures, jammer towers, and some amphibious tanks worth looking at for a possible level 1/3 expansion. There is something cool about some of tabdd's work; the revolter scout and pike sub are nice looking units. Taec had the floating plasma cannons. Pheonix design group had it going for a lot of unit concepts; tauip began as an expansion pack inspired by their stuff.

Taskforce has the ass kicker light plasma cannon, terrorizer heave tank, cloaking llt's, repeater gun and a nice sleakish plane called the liberator. (In one of my old ta mods I used lasers on the avenger and made this liberator the l1 interceptor.) Weird's bigfatmama and littlebrother roaming mini-berthas are nice concepts. Dcs had the circular saw, a 3rd party classic. Who can forget dcs's condore and xenon? Nfwd had classic l3 hovers and a pair of mini-missile siloes that would make nice scud launchers. Peewee design had a gun turret - the unit that sparked my curiousity in modelling - called the archer, another classic.

Madta has some brilliant concepts, too. The rondine laser fighter was something cool in the art work that just begs for spring's engine. The gad is like the rondine only it sports a single nose mounted cannon. Trocadero is had a little kbot arming a turret. Terrier looks mean as a laser tank. Pretorian looks mean as a mobile cannon. Their SAM missile battery is sweet. The duke reminds me of the terminator movie for some reason.

I have to say pwd made some real kick ass units like the shredder, dreadnought hover, gunner artillery, peacemaker missile battery, etc. Skunkworks had some nice hovers, the liche standoff bomber, kaat anti-air vehicle, and the popular mech named simply mech. Tadd had the l1 carriers, advanced fusions, a whole patchwork of l3 hovers, and some amphibs. I always liked the idea of a l1 amphib con unit able to sneak out to open water to begin a secret underwater amphib base that can also sneak unit plants into distant locations behind enemy lines. It would be sweet if the basic con units could morph into the amphib versions.

Tarad had some nice units. I made many of their models but never really saw much credit for them. The fact that silencer tried to control them with an iron fist always made me cringe. But nonetheless the packo missile launcher, demolisher anni tank, hermes sam tank, and blade vtol were always something I used. Taue had this nice idea that absolutely blew model-wise, called the discharger - a lightning vtol - that was a neat idea. After seeing it work it made me think brawler should of been using lightning and not emg.

What level one ship plant would be complete without hitman's unlimited units? He had the decade and supporter for level 1. He also made the centurion gunboat cruiser and century laser cruiser, which would make good complements to the l2 ships. I always liked hitman's simple cavedog-like designs. The little plasma batteries made neat l1 defense towers for anti-tank use. I liked to use his puncher rocket kbot as a sort of manpads unit for l2. (I never liked using flakkers as an end all anti-air unit.) His mug l1 laser kbot is the near perfect proof of concept for the pre-morph of the core can.

There are others like XGX that were late to the show, but the AArd Shark seaplane minelayer is very nice looking. Furtivefox did beautiful work late on. Matrix had a few nice subs. Conrad made nice factories. Design-X is worth looking at for models.

I must stop. I am rambling.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

SEAPLANE MINELAYER? WIN.

Return to “Game Releases”