$100 EvolutionRTS Tournament 3/28/13 18:00 GMT - Page 3

$100 EvolutionRTS Tournament 3/28/13 18:00 GMT

Subforum for the organization and gathering of competitive players to talk about the opportunities for competitive play. Post all tournaments notifications here.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Re: $100 EvolutionRTS Tournament 3/28/13 18:00 GMT

Post by CarRepairer »

This is it! Today's the day! I'm in my lawn chair, got my can of beer and my TV in the front yard. What channel is the tourney streaming on?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

knorke wrote:imo two problems:
-game balance was being changed too much
-no list of maps
I'd agree with this wholeheartedly.

Wrt maps, I also agree, but kinda feel like in some ways that wasn't entirely my fault.

You can probably understand that I get very little feedback wrt evo gameplay, and as a result, when it does get played a lot I find a lot of small and large issues. Godde and I have been playing 1v1 continually for the past week or so, and it has resulted in a lot of excellent changes.

I have never run a tournament before, so this is all new to me. Flop was going to handle the standings, participants, and that stuff, and I was going to handle getting the game into shape for it and the fringe stuff. As a result, when he said he couldn't make it, I quite literally had nothing at all. I didn't even have a list of names of people who had supposedly signed up, because he never made a challonge bracket. So imagine my dismay :-/

But I know what I will do for "Next time". And that is make the challonge bracket first, and have the map list ready from the get go.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

CarRepairer wrote:This is it! Today's the day! I'm in my lawn chair, got my can of beer and my TV in the front yard. What channel is the tourney streaming on?
Psychic.
LordMuffe

Post by LordMuffe »

Forboding Angel wrote:Maybe money isn't a good prize motivator. I thought that that would make people excited and increase the fun factor not to mention the overall urge to participate.

Does money prizes make it too competitive?

Maybe grand prize should be one of these guys: http://www.giantmicrobes.com/us/products/herpes.html

well... a http://www.giantmicrobes.com/us/products/hpv.html would be very motivatinbg for me ;) ... but then, its the beautiful magic of money that you can exchange it for pretty much anything ;)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

inb4godde wins a full set of STD plushie microbes -_-
burp

Post by burp »

BTW: Are the EvoRTS autohosts supposed to work? I tried to try EvoRTS by playing against some bots, but whenever I !start, I time out trying to connect.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

That seems to be an issue with dedicated servers and 94.1. For some people (myself included) it takes a lot longer for spring to actually get around to starting so the autohosts give up and end the game. You need at least one fast loader in the battle to hold it open for everyone else.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

burp wrote:BTW: Are the EvoRTS autohosts supposed to work? I tried to try EvoRTS by playing against some bots, but whenever I !start, I time out trying to connect.
It's because I just moved them to a new server yesterday and apparently I fucked up the port ranges (hadn't been able to test because, no Godde). It's fixed now.

These hosts are extremely fast as spring only has to load the game and if it decides to be stupid and re-write archivecache, it will do that instantly.

Edit: @google, as long as a connection is established, it will stick around.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Forboding Angel wrote:Yeah it'll still happen, and you'll still have to listen to me failcasting games. Maybe money isn't a good prize motivator. I thought that that would make people excited and increase the fun factor not to mention the overall urge to participate.

Does money prizes make it too competitive?

Maybe grand prize should be one of these guys: http://www.giantmicrobes.com/us/products/herpes.html
The prizes aren't a problem, even if it alone won't make people try the game.
But I think it adds a nice bit of excitement to the tourney itself, for those that decided to participate, that you actually have something at stake other than just prestige (and there's less prestige in most peoples eyes in a new game, than in say a BA or ZK tourney). But it most certainly doesn't force anyone to be competitive, I know I can play poker for example very casually for similar prizes, and with my own money at that.

I think the engine upgrade and problems with that led to a lot less people trying the game out lately than what could've been. I'm happy with the postponement in any case since I didn't manage to play a single game of the latest Evo versions.

And yeah, for a good amount of time before the tourney, no balance changes should be made, and maps made known so people know what they're gearing up for.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Would be nice if you would post changelogs here like ZK/BA does.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I don't post that stuff here. I generally post it on G+ (which is what the site uses for news as well... In other words, the mainsite grabs headlines from G+). Also, on the sidebar on the site there is an rss feed of the latest changes.

That said, I DO post big changelogs on important versions, but I've been doing so much lately that I haven't done one.

@Johannes, next time, at the time of announcing, I'll have a "Tournament Version" and the only updates to that will be minor fixes and stuff.

Yes. The engine update could not have possibly come at a worse time.

@Google, people don't even bother to skim the wiki (which contains just about everything you need to know). I have my doubts as to whether they would go out of their way to read a changelog :-)

That said, if you use an rss reader, my updates are posted to these feeds:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/EvolutionRTSGoogleplus << General news and screenies and stuff

and the changes get posted to this one:

https://code.google.com/feeds/p/evoluti ... nges/basic
flopWONTLETMELOGIN

Post by flopWONTLETMELOGIN »

hey guys, its me, flopflop. Just letting u guys know i am not dead or anything
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Oh lawd! Floppeh lives! :-D
pintle

Post by pintle »

Im currently without a GPU (hooray explosions in my pc!) but should have a new one soon enough; could someone try and get hold of me on steam/fb when the next tournament happens please. I'll try and show my face and demonstrate how rusty I have become :)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Hehe sounds good. May have a new one soon. The prizes will prolly be silly (but real), so that I can treat it as a dry run.

Also this time I won't be a frigging idiot and will have the challonge signup listed everywhere.
Rumpelstiltskin

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

So...Is this thing happening?
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Forboding Angel wrote:Also this time I won't be a frigging idiot and will have the challonge signup listed everywhere.
In my experience making people sign up and register results on Challonge is not good, it's just more hassle for the organiser once something goes wrong. Better to just make people message you directly about signup and then about results, and then manage the bracket yourself - so you automatically keep track of what's going on and stay in control.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Considering the proposed format of previous attempt (everything happens in the same session), having people report their own games adds nothing.

If the next one is going to be longer than one evening, though...
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Johannes wrote:
Forboding Angel wrote:Also this time I won't be a frigging idiot and will have the challonge signup listed everywhere.
In my experience making people sign up and register results on Challonge is not good, it's just more hassle for the organiser once something goes wrong. Better to just make people message you directly about signup and then about results, and then manage the bracket yourself - so you automatically keep track of what's going on and stay in control.
Maybe, but challonge makes managing it a lot easier. For example, being able to message people, and send mass messages to the participants, etc.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

So, did this extremely exciting thing get to happen?

I've been watching alot of Starcrap 2 videos (actually prefer that to actually playing it, since I can't output 2 million APM), and I'd love to also see some videos or replays of Spring being played with the valiantness and combateness that only(*) a monetary prize can give.

* or a very honorific prize of any other nature, really.

Return to “Tournaments”